X86 Hardware issues (Graphics, WiFi, Onboard Sound, external DACs, Disks, BIOS/UEFI Boot problems etc.)

I solved, but only with your .img file (kernel 6.1), in this way.

1. i mounted img file with balena etcher on my ssd.
  2. from ssd i installed Volumio.
  3. i disabled hotspot option in Volumio.
  4. restarted Volumio.
  5. activated wireless network.
  6. restarted Volumio.
  7. only now i can see the list of wifi networks.
  8. then i selected my wify and then inserted password.
  9. restarted Volumio
  10. only now i have my wifi connection.
  11. disconnected the LAN cable.

Without restarting Volumio it’impossible to activate internal wifi card (while with a usb wifi dongle isn’t necessary to restart Volumio).

Now all is perfect, thank you for your beta version.
I send my log with beta version fully working.
Thank you very much, i’m sorry for my orrible english…
Giancarlo

http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/1kIFwCs.html

Thanks for your feedback, this helps other users reporting similar issues.

Just a warning, the beta cannot be updated to a release version.
Once we release the 6.1.y based Volumio version (no ETA yet) you will have to reflash.

stuck on the grey screen only happens at first boot, this is a known issue for which we do not have a solution yet (happens with the released version as well).

@Wheaten Could you move this conversation to the x86 thread please?

Yes, i tried to update beta version and it’s impossible to do.
What means ETA ?
Thank you again.

ETA stands for Expected Arrival Time.
No ETA in plain english: we have no plan yet for release (though in this case it is certain it will come).

Hello. I’m trying to install latest Volumio on an Intel NUC11 and failing at the very start. I disabled booting to Windows on the NUC in the BIOS and set the boot priority to Boot USB devices firstt. But at every point the message is `no bootable devices found’. I’m a linux user and have tried to create the bootable image with dd on the command line and also with balena-etcher. Fdisk on Linux (Debian) shows that there is a bootable partition on the USB drive and the Partition Type is: EFI System (Legacy BIOS bootable). I’ve tried with Secure Boot enabled and Secure Boot disabled but neither option makes any difference. This first step is always, in my experience, the hardest and most frustrating part of the installation process. Is there anyone here who might have some advice for me or a pointer to a useful resource? Many thanks in advance.

This is not easy to answer, these are typical boot issues which you have with your BIOS on your NUC11 device, they are hardly Volumio related.
I do not own a NUC11, so I cannot help you much with the BIOS settings.
Secure boot should indeed be disabled, it would start the boot though, but fail with an authorization message.

Make sure “Fast boot” is disabled as well, with UEFI it might disable removable devices from the boot selection at runtime.

• When the INTEL logo appears, press F2 (or ESC?) to interrupt the boot process.
  • Check the Boot configuration and disable fast boot
  • Use F10 to save and reboot

Thank you very much for your help. The solution turned out to be stupidly simple. When I put the USB drive into a different port on the NUC, the bootable image was detected and the installation completed very quickly and with no further issue – most impressive, It’s strange, though – that port works fine for other purposes. All’s good now though. The NUC11 and Volumio 3.54 make a great combination.

1 Like

my volumio has stopped working… it no longer gets a network ip
i get like 3 errors at boot up i tried googling for help but no luck i tried a ifconfig and only got the 127.0.0.1 here some screen shots how do i fix it?

im running it as a VM under Unraid

volumio1

and the log file in unraid is

text  error  warn  system  array  login  

-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci1","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":0,"bus":"pci.0","multifunction":true,"addr":"0x7"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci2","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":2,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7.0x1"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci3","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":4,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7.0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ahci","id":"sata0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x4"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-serial-pci","id":"virtio-serial0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x5"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.190-1.iso","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ide-cd","bus":"sata0.1","drive":"libvirt-2-format","id":"sata0-0-1"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/vms/2. Volumio/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ide-hd","bus":"sata0.2","drive":"libvirt-1-format","id":"sata0-0-2","bootindex":1,"write-cache":"on"}' \
-netdev tap,fd=52,id=hostnet0 \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-net","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"52:54:00:fe:f4:52","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x3"}' \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device '{"driver":"isa-serial","chardev":"charserial0","id":"serial0","index":0}' \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=45,server=on,wait=off \
-device '{"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":1,"chardev":"charchannel0","id":"channel0","name":"org.qemu.guest_agent.0"}' \
-device '{"driver":"usb-tablet","id":"input0","bus":"usb.0","port":"1"}' \
-audiodev '{"id":"audio1","driver":"none"}' \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:2,websocket=5702,audiodev=audio1 \
-k en-us \
-device '{"driver":"qxl-vga","id":"video0","max_outputs":1,"ram_size":67108864,"vram_size":67108864,"vram64_size_mb":0,"vgamem_mb":16,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"usb-host","hostdevice":"/dev/bus/usb/001/002","id":"hostdev0","bus":"usb.0","port":"2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-balloon-pci","id":"balloon0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x6"}' \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label charserial0)
qxl_send_events: spice-server bug: guest stopped, ignoring
2023-11-05T13:59:22.040637Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 20017 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2023-11-05 13:59:22.684+0000: shutting down, reason=shutdown
2023-11-05 14:00:23.315+0000: starting up libvirt version: 8.7.0, qemu version: 7.1.0, kernel: 6.1.49-Unraid, hostname: Tardis
LC_ALL=C \
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin \
HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-9-2. Volumio' \
XDG_DATA_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-9-2. Volumio/.local/share' \
XDG_CACHE_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-9-2. Volumio/.cache' \
XDG_CONFIG_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-9-2. Volumio/.config' \
/usr/local/sbin/qemu \
-name 'guest=2. Volumio,debug-threads=on' \
-S \
-object '{"qom-type":"secret","id":"masterKey0","format":"raw","file":"/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-9-2. Volumio/master-key.aes"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd","node-name":"libvirt-pflash0-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-pflash0-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-pflash0-storage"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/ee4ac1ae-c427-23e8-7c5c-f2f30c01861e_VARS-pure-efi.fd","node-name":"libvirt-pflash1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-pflash1-format","read-only":false,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-pflash1-storage"}' \
-machine pc-i440fx-6.2,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off,memory-backend=pc.ram,pflash0=libvirt-pflash0-format,pflash1=libvirt-pflash1-format \
-accel kvm \
-cpu host,migratable=on,topoext=on,hv-time=on,hv-relaxed=on,hv-vapic=on,hv-spinlocks=0x1fff,hv-vendor-id=none,host-cache-info=on,l3-cache=off \
-m 2048 \
-object '{"qom-type":"memory-backend-ram","id":"pc.ram","size":2147483648}' \
-overcommit mem-lock=off \
-smp 2,sockets=1,dies=1,cores=1,threads=2 \
-uuid ee4ac1ae-c427-23e8-7c5c-f2f30c01861e \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=50,server=on,wait=off \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-ehci1","id":"usb","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7.0x7"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci1","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":0,"bus":"pci.0","multifunction":true,"addr":"0x7"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci2","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":2,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7.0x1"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-uhci3","masterbus":"usb.0","firstport":4,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7.0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-serial-pci","id":"virtio-serial0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x5"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.190-1.iso","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ide-cd","bus":"sata0.1","drive":"libvirt-2-format","id":"sata0-0-1"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/vms/2. Volumio/vdisk1.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ide-hd","bus":"sata0.2","drive":"libvirt-1-format","id":"sata0-0-2","bootindex":1,"write-cache":"on"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-net","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"52:54:00:fe:f4:52","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x3"}' \
-device '{"driver":"isa-serial","chardev":"charserial0","id":"serial0","index":0}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":1,"chardev":"charchannel0","id":"channel0","name":"org.qemu.guest_agent.0"}' \
-k en-us \
-device '{"driver":"qxl-vga","id":"video0","max_outputs":1,"ram_size":67108864,"vram_size":67108864,"vram64_size_mb":0,"vgamem_mb":16,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"usb-host","hostdevice":"/dev/bus/usb/001/002","id":"hostdev0","bus":"usb.0","port":"2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-balloon-pci","id":"balloon0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x6"}' \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2023-11-05T14:10:01.084002Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 20017 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2023-11-05 14:10:01.730+0000: shutting down, reason=shutdown
2023-11-05 14:10:29.035+0000: starting up libvirt version: 8.7.0, qemu version: 7.1.0, kernel: 6.1.49-Unraid, hostname: Tardis
LC_ALL=C \
HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-10-2. Volumio' \
XDG_DATA_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-10-2. Volumio/.local/share' \
XDG_CACHE_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-10-2. Volumio/.cache' \
XDG_CONFIG_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-10-2. Volumio/.config' \
/usr/local/sbin/qemu \
-S \
-object '{"qom-type":"secret","id":"masterKey0","format":"raw","file":"/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-10-2. Volumio/master-key.aes"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd","node-name":"libvirt-pflash0-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-pflash0-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-pflash0-storage"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/ee4ac1ae-c427-23e8-7c5c-f2f30c01861e_VARS-pure-efi.fd","node-name":"libvirt-pflash1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-pflash1-format","read-only":false,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-pflash1-storage"}' \
-machine pc-i440fx-6.2,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off,memory-backend=pc.ram,pflash0=libvirt-pflash0-format,pflash1=libvirt-pflash1-format \
-accel kvm \
-cpu host,migratable=on,topoext=on,hv-time=on,hv-relaxed=on,hv-vapic=on,hv-spinlocks=0x1fff,hv-vendor-id=none,host-cache-info=on,l3-cache=off \
-m 2048 \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device '{"driver":"ich9-usb-ehci1","id":"usb","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7.0x7"}' \
-device '{"driver":"vmxnet3","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"52:54:00:fe:f4:52","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x3"}' \
-k en-us \
-msg timestamp=on
2023-11-05T14:15:37.120122Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 20017 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2023-11-05 14:15:37.747+0000: shutting down, reason=shutdown
2023-11-05 14:15:41.652+0000: starting up libvirt version: 8.7.0, qemu version: 7.1.0, kernel: 6.1.49-Unraid, hostname: Tardis
LC_ALL=C \
HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-11-2. Volumio' \
XDG_DATA_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-11-2. Volumio/.local/share' \
XDG_CACHE_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-11-2. Volumio/.cache' \
XDG_CONFIG_HOME='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-11-2. Volumio/.config' \
/usr/local/sbin/qemu \
-S \
-object '{"qom-type":"secret","id":"masterKey0","format":"raw","file":"/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-11-2. Volumio/master-key.aes"}' \
-accel kvm \
-m 2048 \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device '{"driver":"vmxnet3","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"52:54:00:fe:f4:52","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x3"}' \
-k en-us \
-msg timestamp=on

1 Like

VMs are not supported by the community, you are on your own.

ah ok the rpc pipe file system error whats that and is there a command line to repair that at least that i can try?

see my previous post

ya you said vms are on your own but you didnt say OS in general

like a volumio repair tool to execute or a tool to back up configuration or anything

like Home assistant has a Rebuild and Repair Tool to fix itself doesnt Volumio have a self repair?

your problem is not Volumio, it is your broken VM configuration and we do not support that.

so RPC pipe file system not able to mount is a VM issue?

ill copy the vm to a new vm setup but dunno how it broke was working then power out and volumio broke after the power out
re downloadining a new version of volumio to copy in its place to see if the configuration is broken

again, volumio didn’t break, your vm setup did.
My last comment.

Hi-

I have a Wyse 3040 with the built-in WiFi (it’s an M.2 SD card - “SDIO standard”, as this thread says “who knew?”).

I just installed Volumio on it - goal is to get it working as a Roon bridge, and to be honest I’ll likely use it minimally other than as a Roon bridge, I just thought Volumio might be easy.

It works great over ethernet, simple set-up, just as desired. But every time I try to turn on wireless networking I get the little grey modal that says “Wireless networking successfully restarted!” and then the page refreshes, and wireless networking is turned off. So it never gets an IP address / registers on the network. I’m hoping the answer isn’t “just get a WiFi dongle” because part of what I love about the form factor is that it’s so durable and can handle being knocked about (at least a little) without getting powered off or otherwise bothered - in a way that RPi’s and other similar small devices do not. Right now I just have power and the USB headed to a DAC, and all that is fairly secure - a dongle seems unlikely to be.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Yes, I’m aware of the original M.2 wifi module in the Dell Wyse.
It is an Azurewave AW-CM389MA which is, as you mentioned, an SDIO version. You need to be careful, not to use the PCIe version, which stupidly is also identified as CM389MA.
I never tested with it, so have no idea whether the necessary driver and firmware are present.
These modules are nearly impossible to get hold of.

Could you please boot the Dell Wyse and, when done, submit a log and post the URL here?
How to submit a log

I’m curious to see whether we will find this line in the log to start with

mmc1: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDIO card at address 0001

Thank you!

Ok, I had some progress. I reflashed, and this time, after some fiddling about, I was able to enable wireless networking and it “stuck” (eg, it didn’t turn the toggle off again a few seconds later). However, now when I try to join a network it says “wireless networking restarted” and never successfully joins. I’m fairly certain I’ve typed the correct password - several times. No idea why it worked this time!

And yes, at least this time, the line you were looking for appears:

Nov 06 19:28:57 volumio-wyse1-wifi kernel: mmc0: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDIO card at address 0001
Nov 06 19:28:57 volumio-wyse1-wifi kernel: mmc1: new HS200 MMC card at address 0001

Thank you for your help with this!

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/YxocWP6.html

The result looks like this. Maybe the drivers are there but they’re not working as desired?

Nov 06 19:34:28 volumio-wyse1-wifi wpa_supplicant[3051]: wlan0: Trying to associate with 74:ac:b9:c1:7b:f1 (SSID='ign@tz' freq=2462 MHz)
Nov 06 19:34:28 volumio-wyse1-wifi kernel: mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: wlan0: changing to 2 not supported
Nov 06 19:34:28 volumio-wyse1-wifi wpa_supplicant[3051]: wlan0: Association request to the driver failed
Nov 06 19:34:28 volumio-wyse1-wifi kernel: mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: wlan0: changing to 2 not supported

Update: 30 minutes later I came back, and WiFi had connected. I’d kept the password in. Eventually it worked. Everything was wonderful. And so I tried rebooting to see if it was stable. Nope, now I can’t turn networking on again - so it can’t even see the available networks, let alone connect.

I believe we had a case like this

Can you make sure you create a partition table before you create and format a new partition? Use gparted. Volumio currently won’t automount a device without a partition table (which is rare, but sometimes people forget it).

This issue has been logged, it will be checked whether a device can be automounted even when a partition table is not present.