Issues with RPi5 + Waveshare HDMI display

I pick up Pi5 and conected. Is really faster than Pi4 4gb. From power on to start sound from speaker Pi4 need 1 minut 40 sec. Pi5 done it in 50 sec.
But I haven’t LCD screen. My 11.9 Waveshare shows nothing on HDMI0 and HDMI1 ports.

Some tips?

I use the same config in Pi3 and Pi4 without problems.

1 Like

I will check this, thanks for reporting

If you want I can put here my config.txt

Do you think that problem is in Pi5??

I have the same. Tried with 7" and the same.

As far as I know, the tested versions by Volumio had no issues, mine did from the start. It’s always possible that a unit fails. I don’t think it’s a common thing.

Maybe better to make new thread like Pi5 HDMI problem ??

Let’s see. @gvolt is a Miracle when it comes to HDMI…

done!

Thank you.

1 Like

On Rpi forum is information that Pi5 has problem with EDID from LCD.

I added to cmdline.txt

video=HDMI-A-1:320x1480M@60D

but it only destroy my Volumio SD copy.

I Love Pi5 for fast start but need LCD view too.

1 Like

yeah I did a similar thing. You can remove the line from command.txt, it didn’t destroy my copy of Volumio.

1 Like

now on Pi4 I have only…

started to write new img from .iso

I’ve connected the RPi5 sample to my Samsung TV using the HDMI-0 port, no problem in my case (I forgot to test this use-case before)

It means that the problem is the combination of the Waveshare display with the RPi5, @eMCZe looking at the problems on the Raspberry Pi forum I think it’s a general problem, not strictly related to Volumio

My suggestion is try to make the Waveshare display working on RaspiOS first, and then try the very same settings on the Volumio image

PS: what tool are you using to edit the cmdline.txt file? If you use notepad on Windows, it will change the line-ending of the file and create problems

… and a workaround has been posted, too: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=358917&sid=25498e3d23f3f5aaee2c1733764d89e7&start=25#p2153545

I have no Pi 5 yet, so I can’t test myself.

The display will work on a rpi3 or 4.
The settings are given by waveshare. With the rPi5 it didn’t even turn on.

aaaa… here’s the problem with dead copy. What do you recommend to change cmdline??

notepad++, the best text editor available on Windows

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Time to one more try…

1 Like

Read that topic, but I won’t go this way, as it would break OTA.
Nevertheless, shipped my rPi5 back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but such a workaround would hopefully only be an intermediate necessity until the Pi 5 firmware gets fixed.