Raspberry Pi 5 just announced

I read it few post higher but still afraid. Reason why I change to Pi5 is M2 drive. I want to use it for boot later.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with RPi5 + Waveshare HDMI display

Is that booting from the same SD Card or M.2 drive

Also whats the local music search like ?
rpi 4 is not bad, but still feels suggish

1 Like

It is from the same SD card only replaced from Pi4

The SD read/write times are way faster on a 5. With Raspberry Pi OS it’s a quicker boot on my Pi5 via SD than a Pi4 via USB drive.

Can conform the same with the 7.9 inch screen.
Normally We should at least be able to see the boot sequence, but it stays dark.
Tested both hdmi-0 and 1, added forced parameters to “cmdline.txt”. without succes.
Send the rPi5 back, as it’s turned out to be very unreliable. Maybe because it’s a very early batch, but have no further use for it.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [PLUGIN] Touch Display

Seems passive cooling for the rPi5 are coming to town :smile:

2 Likes

I use it for one week. 46 oC with volumio max.

1 Like

I have 56 C vs 68 C on Pi4b. Looks that Pi5 has the same temps as Pi3b+

But Pi4 works in Performance mode:

• Version of Volumio: 3.569
  • Hostname: volumio
  • Kernel: 6.1.58-v7l+
  • Governor: performance

Pi5 works in Conservative mode

• Version of Volumio: 3.569
  • Hostname: volumio
  • Kernel: 6.1.58-v8+
  • Governor: conservative

Kernel 6.1.58-v8+ starts as conservative for better temp ??

I see on System Info that Pi5 has higher Average load than Pi4.

But Pi5 still without working HDMI with Volumio ;(

1 Like

I played a bit with a PI5, things are quite strange and it seems people have different experiences.
version 3.569 - everything works fine with my Pi4. Now on the Pi5.
No picture on the Official Pi Display connected with the new cable, in either ports. HDMI works with no issues.
I2S dac makes strange noises and cannot play, I used the same DIYINHK ES9038Pro in both cases, chosen apple dac in the I2S configuration, works on 4 not on 5.
USB DAC works on both, I like more the sound on Pi5.
I made a linear PSU capable of delivering 5Amps and it gives a boost to the sound compared to the stock Pi 27W PSU.
When can we expect an official release that supports the Pi5 from the volumio team?
Regards
Panos

2 Likes

it’s already being released, version 3.569 it’s the first one with support for RPi5

if you have problems with a specific HAT, maybe it’s not compatible with the RPi5 at all, it happened already in the past, where some HATs made for RPi3 didn’t work on RPi4 and required a new HW revision.

1 Like

Were you successful with the official raspberry screen? With the official Pi builds it shines right away, no display in volumio. I did not try other configurations on the dac though, probably i should do that.

1 Like

I could not try the official DSI display because I don’t have one…

I still fighting with Pi5 Volumio issues. On Raspberry forum, Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd. said that on official system can be some problems with display because of drivers and still are added. Maybe here too, but Linux, Debian and other systems are outside my percepion.

Yes, it’s reason why I use older HV Pi4. Last HV1.5 dasn’t works with HifiBerry DIGI and few more.

I bought Pi5 because I use very good USB/Spdif module( I2S in Pi is software not hardware like my XMOS and CPLD / FPGA. Sound quality is on higher level) and I thought that if I haven’t problems with DIGI hat I can use Pi5… and now it is wrong decision - HDMI issue.

Good thing is, that I have few offer to sell it 2 x expensive than I bought it (it is because if you order it now, you must wait 3 months). I give Pi5 chance to start LCD. I will wait. I think that it is “Childhood disease”

Please try adding

dtoverlay=rpi-ft5406

to your “boot/userconfig.txt”.

If that should not work you would probably instead have to add

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi5
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch,dsi0

for a display connected to “CAM/DISP 0” or

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch

for a display connected to “CAM/DISP 1” to “/boot/userconfig.txt”.

Display rotation set on the Touch Display’s config page will probably not work when using “dtoverlay=vc4-kms-…”.

3 Likes

thanks, i will try that.

Hi,
I have a Pi 5 with Voumio 3.569 that did not show any screen.

the
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch
worked fine, display slot 1

Thanks alot #gvolt :smiley:

1 Like

Good morning,

when I try to update my library it stops and the following error is reported:
error: MPD error: Error: This socket has been terminated by the other party
error: This socket has been terminated by the other party {“code”:“EPIPE”}

Any advice?

1 Like

I migrated from rpi4 to rpi5 (new install). The booting time is much shorted and the audio quality is much better.
Problem my Volumio on rpi5 doens’t work with waveshare 7.9" LCD HDMI display 400x1280. I have spent tons of hours - still dark.
The only progress I have made is only with the following line in (user)config.txt:

After boot screen starts to work but:

• LCD can not be rotated via command in config.txt
  • Volumio starts but Touch Display not. There is error: Error connecting to Xserver