X86 Hardware issues (Graphics, WiFi, Onboard Sound, external DACs, Disks, BIOS/UEFI Boot problems etc.)

Best to do that in the beta thread to keep things nicely separated.

I was afraid so.

Let’s wait for the beta results. In case you wish to continue with the current (5.10 based) version, in case that is an option, I would remove it.

Hi,
I can’t install Volumio-3.512-2023-06-25-x86_amd64 version on my Intel N5105 16GB 512GB. I’m still stuck on the volumio login screen
Please could you help me?

Thanks a lot,

You did install, but the UI does not appear, right?
What machine are you referring to? Brand, model?
Is the network connection working? Did you try with a browser from another device?
We need more information, see X86 Hardware issues (WiFi, DAC, Disks, Boot etc.)
Please reply in that thread, most important is the log, in case this is not possible, then at least supply the other data as requested in the first post in that thread.

Is this still an issue? I have not received any feedback.

1 Like

I have used volumio 2.0 without any problem before on dedicated Lenovo S10 netbook. Recently I installed 3.0 on it. The installation is working fine and I can access it as a blackbox from volumio app and web UI. The only issue is I am not getting default screen on laptop when I boot it. It just stops at volumio login. Is there any configuration I need to do to get the default screen which I used to get on Volumio 2.0. I am not very technical person but if there is specific script configuration I need to do, please direct me to specific thread. I couldn’t find any. Then all talk about touch plugin but none about default screen. Thanks

Could you try the version from this post?
It is a beta (coming up for release soon) and could resolve some driver and firmware issues.
In case it does not work, then there is not much I can help with.
Please supply a log link, this explains how to produce a log

These netbooks are > 13 years old, unfortunately it happens that newer kernels fail with some devices. We experienced that recently again with a Toshiba device.

Thanks gkkpch for the quick reply. Here is the log I extracted.

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/sumouJ7.html

Thanks again

Also, it’s working fine in headless mode. Identifies USB DAC and rest of the connectivity from Laptop and Mobile app. I was even able to move files to internal storage etc.

Hardware Setup:

System Information

• OS info

• Version of Volumio: 3.512

• Hostname: jedimaster3

• Kernel: 5.10.176-volumio

• Governor: performance

• Uptime: 0 days, 8 Hrs, 23 Minutes, 37 Seconds

• Audio info

• Hw audio configured: Bravo-X USB Audio

• Mixer type: Hardware

• Number of channels:

• Supported sample rate:

• Board info

• Manufacturer: LENOVO

• Model: S10-3

• Version: Lenovo

• Firmware Version: -

• CPU info

• Brand: Atom™ N455

• Speed: 1.66Ghz

• Number of cores: 2

• Physical cores: 1

• Average load: 34%

• Temperature: 70°C

• Memory info

• Memory: 999516 Ko

• Free: 90184 Ko

• Used: 909332 Ko

• Storage info

• INTERNAL storage - Size: 230081Mo

• Used: 69000Mo

• Available for storage: 149324Mo (65%)

Close

Had a quick look at your log, quite a number of acpi errors, meaning parts of hardware components were not recognized/ initialised and the Xorg display manager failed to start. You only have a terminal interface at the moment. I will have a closer look tomorrow, but as said, there is not much I can do.
It would be extremely interesting to know whether the beta version, as pointed to in my previous post, makes a difference.

@wheaten: could you please move this conversation to the proper place? Thanks.

@gkkpch,

Done

The S10-3 has an Intel GMA3150 graphics interface which requires OpenGL 2.1 or higher.
Same with Samsung Netbook NC210.

With Volumio 3 this is not supported anymore and I can’t think of a workaround for you either, sorry.

Thanks for checking gkkpch, I will try the beta version if it works. Appreciate your help.

Understanding the issue now, I’m sure the beta won’t work either.

(Edited)
The nvme driver module is in the initramfs, so there must be another module missing causing the drive not being recognized during the init phase and cannot be booted from successfully.
You are the first person to encounter this issue, sorry.
Could you tell me which USB C 256GB nvme drive you have?
Can you boot Volumio from usb, connect the usb-c drive and do

lsusb
ls -l /dev/nvme*
sudo lsmod

from the commandline?

Booting from an SD card is very rare on an x86 device, so I have not done anything to prepare that.
I will have a look at your data.
The Orica device is available here from Amazon and as I intended to buy a usb-c external drive anyway (not for Volumio), I’ll get one with your specs and test with it before giving it its intented destination.

Strange, this is what I use now and want to replace. It tested it with Volumio and it works fine.

Unlike WIndows, Linux and Mac do not need specific drivers for DAC hardware as they have a generic sound driver (with some additional dac-specific quirks. e.g. for DSD compatibility).
Topping D10S is known to be working fine, incl. DSD direct capabilities.

Finally closed this Orico usb to nvme adapter issue, caused by missing UAS (usb attached scsi) support in our initramfs.
There was no relation with nvme at all, just a missing usb storage module in initramfs.
Thanks @JMZ for reporting this issue, would not have found it otherwise.

To be released with the next version of Volumio 3, with current and upcoming 6.1 kernel.

1 Like

Little present, full blown Volumio beta version:
Volumiobuster-3.542-2023-09-22-x86_amd64
You can’t report on it other then the x86 beta thread.
You can’t update to the final version.

Continue to use the existing image with ausb key or switch to a full-blown beta with Orico, your choise.

Not sure about when the switch takes place, not my call.

Cheers - Gé

Case now closed for me

I installed two new Volumio latest version 3.5xx on two Dell wy3040 boxes. When boot from USB, iOS app and HomeAssistant can find these, but after install to inner EMMC storage and boot from it, I can only access Volumio from Web.

Is it right?

1 Like