V3 doesn’t recognize hifiberry digi+

Volumio Version: 3.174
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with Hifiberry Digi+

After upgrading, Volumio doesn’t recognize my Digi+ soundcard. I downgraded to V2 and everything works fine.

please select you DAC by enabling I2C .

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to work again, neither does work selecting the snd_hifiberry_digi from output list when it appears. I can’t get any sound out either from my Hifiberry Digi+, this was fine couple beta versions ago, seems to be broken again.

1 Like


Hi can you have a look here?

Hy, Volumio 3 (update from 2.917) works fine on my Raspberry 1 + Hifiberry DIGI.

Hello ! I had the same issue and this solved my issue :

  • Plug the SD card into a computer, and remove force_eeprom_read=0 from config.txt

Hope it works for you too !


Thanks, this one actually worked! Now finally running my Digi+ with Volumio 3

1 Like

Withuout this line removed, did it not work?
Did you select it from the I2S DAC list?

Correct, I had to comment out the force_eeprom_read=0 from config.txt to get it working. Without that I could select it from the I2S list, but I got no sound, and got little red squares with error messages from alsa when trying to play a track. Tried some of the other tricks like booting with a usb dac connected, but removing this line was the only one I got working.

1 Like

Does anyone have the link to 2.917? I’m facing the same issue with my hifiberry digi not working in ver 3.

I just want to add myself to the list of those with problems configuring a (clone, sue me) Digi+ which worked very well with v2.x for some years, although I do recall the initial setup was a bit clunky as well. It was the cheapest thing I could get that allowed for using an external DAC with fairly high bitrate (eg192kHz) digital interconnect. I concede it’s entry level but we all have to enter somewhere and I never felt the need to upgrade it on audio quality or usability grounds.

I haven’t had any success at all getting output from Volumio v3 on a RPI4. I’ve tried everything suggested in a couple of threads on this topic, I’ve rebooted endlessly, messed about with configuration file settings, reburned the SD card several times.

My belief is that this probably needs attention from a developer, not so much for a bug hunt or workaround as for someone clever taking a few days to code a permanent solution that works out of the box, and if other devices are causing similar problems maybe build a generic pluggable installation method that can also help solve similar problems with hardware compatibility, produce more meaningful diagnostics and so on. I appreciate that anything sitting on top of alsa software is going to be a pain but it’s either solvable or not, and if the result is that this device can’t be used then at least it clears up any confusion, people buying the wrong things. At present it is listed as a workable hardware option.

As a cheap stopgap I am using a USB isolator (because the Pi4 USB ground is super dirty), a USB A to C convertor with a phone dongle DAC which is OK for now but I’m a bit grumpy about it.

After some experimentations I found out the following. The problem seems at least partly related to power and ground. Why do I think so?

Actually where I live here there is pretty solid power supply situation so it is not that. Also I use the iFi net purifiers, which deliver also audible sound improvements. And power socket extensions from well know brands like APC, Belkin and Brennenstuhl. However, in some related articles about DAC HAT’s there is talk about the powering of the HAT and if you use line power supply the HAT doesnt power up so the Raspberry Pi with Volumio software doesn’t come up quick enough. So the HAT is not “seen”.

I read some advice about not selecting I2S DAC option but to choose I2S DAC “off” and then the Hifiberry_digi_sound (or how was it named again). But this was not what solved my case. In my case I went back from iFi line power to the standard Raspberry Pi branded default power supply (which apparantly comes up quicker). Then, and this may also be a factor, I went upstairs and plugged it in in another power socket. Maybe there was some electrical device in my house downstairs near the Pi that caused some miniscule change in the power supply situation, miniscule but big enough to cause weird behavior.

I read somewhere another person was grounding his Raspberry Pi externally on his amp phone inlet I think, solving the same problem.

Another symptom from before tha has gone: I was hearing no sound but after 20 seconds or longer I suddenly heard some partial stuttering music fragments. So the card didnt seem to have enough power to do the processing. All those symptoms are gone now.

I hope this helps someone else who is having same suprising problems after years of flawless processing.