Tidal Connect Failures

This problem is gone since the last update quite some time ago. Tidal Connect works flawless now.

I would like to be able to say the same.
For me Volumio just disappeared from Tidal app. So I assume Tidal Connect just doesn’t work for some reason.

It worked before, I even installed Volumio from alpha channel, but still my RPi based player doesn’t show up in Tidal Android app.

Here are my logs if someone would like to take a look:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/Wo8MfAn.html

It’s worth reinstalling the tidal apps after the last update. Mine is a fair bit better now I think (and hope).

Still broken, tidal connect is not really usable, hopefully they can advise on the issue. I don’t think my Raspberry pi would be stuffed already if own library plays fine.
It was stable around the time up to an update or two just after the tidal hi-res update.
Hmm.

Edit: Have enabled test mode and updated to 3.694, will test that out for a while. Just means would need a re-flash if I wanted to go back to ‘stable’ version. Plugin test mode - the youtube Cast Receiver worked the first time amazingly.

The problem where playback stopped happened after a while though. Just going to use Chomecast Audio or BT I guess until it’s fixed, not worth the disappointment really when it plays up.

Ah that’s right, casting CCA only works on the phone app (not pc app) or web browser, and can’t cast youtube videos to audio (unless cast the webpage). That and no gapless is why I set up volumio. It’s still CD quality I guess. Don’t care about hi-res that much.

Metrum Ambre streamer with Volumio 3.695 Galaxy s21 ultra same issues that mentioned before by others. Tidal connect keep freezing while music is still playing. Very annoyed and disappointed as I don’t have this issue earlier and using Volumio over 3 years.

Volumio team pleaee reply if this issue has been recognise?

Any updates on this issue? It is not working most of the time, and even after one song. Makes the device unusable and have to do a reboot. Doesn’t happen with my own library, so it’s obviously a problem with Tidal Connect (and not my hardware). Looking at the comments it seems to affect other devices too - like the topping/FiiO/WiiM (??)

Surely the dev’s could contact Tidal so wee what is going amiss. It was working well ages ago before all these ‘new features’ and tinkering with it, like before Hi-Res (but think it was reliable for two releases after that. Chromecast audio is still reliable at least (voice control but no gapless).

Will need to look at some alternatives, should have just got Roon lifetime instead or maybe plex if it supports tidal connect. Waste of 200 euros.

Hi thanks for contacting us. We are working on this.
Kind regards,
Volumio Support

Hi G-rig, Noted. we are working on this. Thanks for the feedback
Volumio Support

Hi Marco

Yes latest version. I have been submitting a few log files in the background. Will test it again soon.

On another note, the raspberry pi seems quite sensitive - if I touch any of the cables it can disconnect the DAC/volumio. Not sure if it’s to do with the genuine touch screen or just the nature of these DIY devices.

I have the same problem. Only playing 1 track. Not following on with the playlist. App on phone keeps hanging then catching up. All with tidal connect. Using same app and playlist etc. connect via Bluetooth works fine but big drop in quality and volume though.
Rpi 4
Rpi 7” display.
Output via combo383 amanero usb option

I’m new user only have the app for tidal connect.
Not been fit for purpose since I signed up a week ago. I hope it’s something that can be fixed soon. Free trial runs out soon !

That is so unfortunate. I hope it is fixed soon. My Tidal and Volumio subscriptions are being wasted because of the connection issue.

Hello all, chiming in here with an update. Like others mention, the issue can be easily reproduced - I just did by playing Tidal’s Recommended for Today playlist. Tidal Connect stopped playing at track 6, and triggered the Failed to load ALSA device error as reported many times before.

As it seems (to me) that this falls somewhere between Tidal Connect and Volumio OS’s music server, I tried switching the playback device from my connected USB DAC to the Pi’s HDMI out. The music server was reset, so I then switched it back to USB (which reset the music server once more), and playback is operative again. Local, Tidal Connect, and Tidal through native Volumio.

Hope this bug is fixed soon - we’ve been reporting it for quite a while now (since January), if not earlier. Any updates, or a pointer as to what’s triggering it? @volumio @Marco_Melziade

Hello, As soon as i have news about this issue, I’ll get back to you asap! thanks for the collaboration.
Volumio Support

Very strange. But everything is working as it should for the first time. Not changed anything. But playlist playing as they should. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats great to hear!

Hi! for those who still have this issue, please send a message here with a log link

https://volumio.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/1/create/1

Best,
Volumio Support

Just sent via the dev webpage also. Could be some clues at the bottom of this log file to the errors. I started playing a new album, stopped after the first track.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/zNDA5bh.html

Do these errors occur on your own volumio devices?

Hi team and community. I am just writing to add my voice to the chorus of users with this problem. I have been using Volumio on two Raspberry Pi’s for about two years (details below). I swapped to the Raspberry Pi from a Wiim Pro set up after seeing John Darko’s great little videos showing how to setup your own Raspberry Pi streamer. I had swapped to Tidal from Spotify as I wanted to access higher quality music. I really like using Tidal to audition new music and build various play lists, which I do via the Tidal iOS App on my iPhone 13. I use Tidal Connect to stream the music to my system. When I first started using this system it was pretty stable and worked well most the time. Over the last few months as I have updated iOS, Tidal and Volumio it has progressively gotten worse and worse. After the latest upgrade to both Tidal and Volumio (just a few days ago) it has gotten so much worse that today my Volumio players did not even show up using Tidal connect - even after restarting everything a few times. It also failed to detect my Bluesound PowerNode too. I finally deleted the Tidal app on my iPhone and reinstalled it. This fixed the problem for about 3 minutes, then as many others have reported - 'I have persistent issues with Tidal Connect. Connecting is fine but if I skip tracks backwards/forwards (even within the same album), or change playlists, sooner or later it will stop responding. Also scrubbing within the track will do this. From this point on attempting to do anything with Volumio will often result in the following error:
“Failed to open “alsa” (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device “Volumio”: Device or resource busy”

A restart will normally get things going again, but even this failed today.
I am at my wits end and it is sucking all the joy out of using Volumio. I used to proudly show it off to my friends and even try to convince them to try it themselves. Now I am too embarrassed to show it to anyone and frustrated I can not freely explore and discover music using Tidal Connect. I am seriously considering moving back to Wiim even though I do not enjoy it as much, but at least it worked and was free. If this can not be resolved I will be cancelling (sadly) my subscription. My current set up comprises:
Volumio Version v3.703
Raspberry Pi3b 1Gb with JustBoom DAC HAT - RCA out to AirPulse 100 active speakers

Raspberry Pi4 4Gb-with 7 inch touchscreen and HiFiBerry Digi HAT

• Coaxial out to FiiO K7 DAC/AMP
  • Optical out to Schiit Modi 3+ / Vali 2 stack

Apple iPhone 13 Pro iOS 17.5.1
Tidal App for iOS v2.116.0

I will also try and capture a log to send as advised soon. It is very frustrating to see this get worse rather than better - particularly since it has been reported 100’s of times since early this year. I hope you can resolve this soon as I would like to enjoy my music streaming service and once again proudly show off my system to my friends.
Cheers Matt

Hi Everyone. Just adding try earlier post, I should point out this problem ONLY occurs with Tidal Connect via the Tidal App on my iPhone. For the most part using Volumio via a web browser works fine. Also if I use the Tidal app on my MacBook Pro it works. But this is not how I prefer to use Volumio. I prefer to use the Tidal App on my phone in front of my main system in my lounge room. While the Volumio app can access my Tidal playlist, it does not work well to access the recommended playlists from Tidal, nor add tracks to my Tidal playlists. I look forward to this being resolved soon. Cheers Matt.