Raspberry + Kali + Allo Piano 1.1 dead due to shortcut

I have a raspberry pi with kali reclocker and Allo Piano 1.1. This DAC was a very initial model they sold back in 2013?. Everything was working nice and smoothly, but yesterday I wanted to pack the whole system in a metalic case I was reusing from and old sat receiver. Long story short: I think I it got shorcut because everything turned off suddenly.

Plugged everything on again without the metalic case and seems to work: I can access the volumio url, I can “play” things (both from NAS, web radio or airplay), reclocker seems to work (changes light when sending 44.1Khz signals) but Allo Dac seems not to work. I can’t get any sound from its L+R connections.

I’ve been troubleshooting with the source configuration through volumio configuration, but nothing works (granted is well configured: I2S activated and Allo Piano selected). Finally, I have taken out the Piano DAC and kept rpi with kali reclocker, configured the headphones output in volumio, hooked headphones to the rpi and it works, so I concluded that the DAC should be dead (though the leds on it do light on green).

¿Any advice?

And in case I have to replace the DAC, ¿any advice? I guess I can only go to the Piano 2.1 if I want to keep the Kali Reclocker, ¿right?

Thanks in advanced!

Hi
did you try upsampling?
[Hardware and Software Interaction ?] Volumio 3.4xx + Kali reclocker + Piano 2.1 DAC, Dual Stereo output not the same - #9 by michel8166
There are some boards out there if you want to keep the kali.
for example:
AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M Raspberry Pi / I2S & SPDIF / PCM DSD USB-C Power Supply - Audiophonics

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure how to do the upsampling. Followed the thread attached, but the command indicated doesn’t work: (in my case, I tried both with allo-piano-dac considering is the 1.1 version, but also with plus, and nothing happens)

dtoverlay=allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x audio,glb_mclk

Find attached the screenshot with volumio playing a 16bit flac 44.1Khz whilst showing alsamixer

Sorry, perhaps I have not chosen the best topic to explain.

you find this in settings - payback options - audio Resampling
turn target bit depth to 32bit and save.
Solved - No sound (just noise) after update allo piano+ kali - #2 by judydudi

do you get static noise or no sound at all?

No sound at all… Definitely, something is gone… Considering what to buy now to take advantage of Kali, I don’t want to get rid off it.

Too bad, every slave dac should work with the kali reclocker.

I have to set up someone’s kali reclocker and piano 2.1 next week… I’ll check a few things to see if everything is going okay there.

Piano 2.1 is not sold any more, too bad :frowning:

I was considering Audiophonics DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M

Any other recommendation?

Hello!
I have an unused Piano 2.1 and a Kali…
PM me if interested :wink:

1 Like