Date Time issues rPi4

yes it would help, like with the ri5

I thought about it but first. Thank you for this job with NTC server.

I hope it will help. I don’t need correct time but without date after few days Volumio stop.

I bought Raspberry Pi RTC DS3231. It is better than DS1302. I hope that in Volumio is possibility to use it.

All you have to do is adding to /boot/userconfig.txt
dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds3231

Reboot, make sure your date is correct and run:
sudo hwclock -w

The overlay exist in the Volumio images: “i2c-rtc.dtbo”

Today I had an incorrect time on one of my Pi4 Volumios and tried to follow the thread here. This part worked to correct the time, but it doesn’t survive a reboot. So I then need to stop and start setdatetime.service again. Was there a permanent solution that I missed? Maybe adding this to userconfig?

Hi @SimonE

Currently I Have this running, which seems to do the trick for me on a rPi4, bypassing the script. All in the service.
I know the sleep is all but elegant, but I experienced the same issue as @eMCZe mentioned. 7 out of 10 it worked, but not consistent.

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/setdatetime.service

[Unit]
Description=Set local time using time server

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "sleep 30; /usr/bin/sudo /bin/date -s \"$(/usr/bin/curl -s --head http://google.com | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g')\""

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

ctrl+o, ctrl+x

sudo chmod 644 /lib/systemd/system/setdatetime.service && sudo systemctl daemon-reload && sudo systemctl enable setdatetime.service && sudo systemctl start setdatetime.service

1 Like

Thanks, this is working for me too.
Simon

I have this Pi 4 in my home but in my net works without problem :slight_smile:

Now I almost finish soldering all parts in one great sounding tube DAC and will connect it via USB to Pi. GPIO will be free for external RTC.

I tried with internal Pi5 RTC with battery and without WLAN and LAN. I still have good time after disconnected power.

I hope the same will be with Pi4.

Just let us know :slight_smile:

Yes. I can connect it wright now, without DAC only for checking “time issues”

Now I go with my dog but give you know.

no hurry, will flash a V3.611 and then I need to walk a different dog :joy:

Ok…

Volumio disconnected from the network. I used the USB keyboard and did this:

I power off Volumio and wait with crossed fingers :slight_smile:

I power on Pi4 and turn on Volumio :

It works !!!

Last test.

After all night with powered off Pi4, with disconnected LAN and turned off WLAN i turn on Volumio.

Now I’m sure :+1:

But there are strange words on your screen??? :joy:

Either a faulty spell checker, or possibly a different language? That’s a piękny zegar on the lower unit.

I live in Poland and is in Polish language but you know about it because of “piękny zegar”

This top black Volumio is of my friend’s - Pi4 with a clock problem.

The lower Volumio one is mine. Unit with Pi5, NVMe drive and Xmos USB converter for DAC and power supplies - more is on my DIY thread.

This lowest with NIXIE tube “beautiful clock” is my separate PCM 63-K, tube analog DAC. I added this clock for character, is still on whether the DAC is turned on or not.

I also made others like this:

the oak one is still waiting for a new home.

EDIT: sorry for off topic - but still about clock :rofl:

1 Like

Volumio was powered off from “Niedziela” :wink: . I turn it on morning and time still is correct. It mean fully succes with hardware clock.

Thank you @Wheaten for your help (like always) :beer:

I have this cheaper one RTC too.

Need I only change RTC model in dtoverlay in userconfig.txt?