Which Waveshare Widescreen display

Background

I currently have Volumio up and running with the 7” Official Touchscreen, Pi3B+, and a HifiBerry DAC2 PRO. I also had the IR remote working with the Apple Remote but the overall powerdraw concerned me so I removed the IR (I had it connected to the 5V output of the DAC2 and then used a step down converter for it).

The thing is I’m wanting to move to a smaller height screen and am looking at the Waveshare widescreen models.

Question

I searched this site and it appears that both the 7.9” (DSI and HDMI) models can be made to work with some tweaks (which I assume are similar to those needed for the 11.3” models) so I’m wondering what the consensus is on 7.9” which is more preferred from an installation/setup.

The overall goal is to be able to place it on top of my Parasound ZPre which is below my dual monitor setup. Note: The Parasound is 8.5” wide.

Thoughts on which screen I should go with appreciated.

P.S. while I am looking at the 7.9” if one of the 11.3” screen is significantly better than the 7.9s I am open to it. I’d prefer the 7.9” just because DIYAudio has a fairly nice case (link at bottom) that it would fit in that still allows me space for everything and maybe a linear powersupply or other stuff.

Please note: Should this matter I plan to use a beefier powersupply than the standard Micro-ISB 2.5A one which will be run into a power button. From there it will connect each of these items using their own connection: Screen, PI+DAC, Stepdown converter for IR.

Reference links:

Case

Preamp

Went ahead and decided to get the 7.9" HDMI version as I found a build very similar I’m going to try and emulate pieces of (they even were using a case that I was planning on using, just a diff variant)

That build is here: DIY Streamer with HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and 11.9" Display

Main differences between what I’m doing and what they did:

1. I am using a Pi 3B (can be found cheap, need less power than the 4, more than enough to ram/memory/gpu and can be OC’d if not)
  2. There will be a IEC outlet on the back which will
    • Wired to a standard pi powersupply (going to use either a USB-C I have sitting around (5V, 3A) using an adapter to MicroUSB, or the Argon Micro USB one I ordered (5.25v 3A). Not sure if I will split the power for the monitor and pi or just connect them all together…
    • Connected to a power button so I can turn on/off the power manually

Note: Long term I might switch it out with a linear powersupply at some point, not sure if it will be internal to the build or separated. Here are a couple builds which provided some inspiration