Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

Ok so I pressed play and it started playing wherever it was paused from the day before right away. Then in a few minutes the interface froze, and became inaccessible via apps, ip, browser on any device.

android app shows white screen, and I can’t even get to /dev to generate the log

Notably this whole time music is still playing…

pulled the plug to reboot.
log: http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/2VxI4Lz.html

Since the Multi-Room feature will be available for MyVolumio Superstar users, here you’ll find a coupon code (can be used 10 times) which will give 100% discount if you want to test it but don’t have the Superstar plan yet:

Blockquote
So the Multi-Room feature will only be available for Superstar users? What if one is not interested in TIDAL, QOBUS or any of the other things that come with subscription? I find this a hard decision, I would be happy to pay for the plug-in and for future updates but not for a subscription that I do not fully utilize. I find it a shame, I would have thought that selling plugins etc would open your access to your existing user-base further and as such increase your income …
But anyhow you product, your decision …

How are we to know what your problem is?
Could you add a quote or a link to the problem/post are you referring to?

A log from a reboot after the issue is not of much help, but the best option for a log while a UI is hanging would be to ssh into the system and do a “sudo journalctl -b” and show us the output. Ofc it could be you can’t do ssh either, but worth a try.

There is one minor UI issue/enhancement I am missing:
When going to “Plugins” by default is shows the plugin store/search page. I would argue that from a user experience point of view it should instead default to the “Installed Plugins”.
As a user I am much more likely to do something with my installed plugins (e.g. turn on/off equalizer) than add another one.

2 Likes

Thanks! It looks like your player freezes when you play a DSD file. Is that correct?
Is there any info you can share about what you were doing when the crash occurs?

1 Like

Add it to the wish list please. See it sometimes - volumio playing, swipe down and bring it up. Most of the time disappears and have to find the app and then wait.

Also help me guys, is there a reason SSD into rpi4 May go to sleep, seems like have to do a restart each Day Almost.

Lastly, love the app, makes things very easy streaming own FLAC collection. Is there a way can use the storage for movie playback like a Nas if volumio installed? Should be ok on the same hard drive plugged into rpi4.

Also guestures to swipe back on Android;)
Trying to rollback android 12 also, rubbish!

Thanks!

Ken, thanks a lot for your patience. We are trying to understand this issue, but we could not replicate it.
Bear with us a little more, we really need logs from you.

There is a way to get logs also from SSH, so please do this:

• Enable SSH
  • Leave it going, until it hangs
  • Connect via SSH and launch this command:
node /volumio/logsubmit.js

After you do it, wait a little, you should receive something like:

{"status":"OK","link":"http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/ewfZiVV.html"}

Paste this link here

Thanks a lot, this will really help us

2 Likes

Hi, I’m not referring to anything - the whole problem is described in the post you replied to - it just happens often (volumio stalls and becomes unresponsive -that is the entire issue). But I didn’t realize log after reboot doesn’t help and didn’t know there’s a way to do it without getting to /dev. Will do that next time.
Thanks

Networking question.

In the network settings it says that using a wired connection may improve SQ (or something like that) - is that because of inherent instabilities and lower speeds of wifi vs eth or is there more to it?

I have stable fast wifi. My pi is in a room without ethernet wiring.
Would it be beneficial to use a wifi extender with ethernet out like this

to run a cat6 to the pi?

It’s just a wifi mesh extender that extends same SSID as the main network, but also gives you the ability to connect a device via ethernet cable to it (but then the extender itself connects to the main router via wifi).

I am already using it for something else - and the connection from the ethernet port is same speed and other characteristics as the wifi itself (and it’s fast and stable). So is it better to keep it on wifi or connect to “ethernet” via this extender?

Thanks

I would not bother with cable, if you have decent wifi router which is not 10y old, the connection is likely just as good with wifi or cable.

i guess there might be worse SQ with cable or WIFI only if the hardware is implemented in such way that, either of those shares time with the audio output path.(think about usb hub, the devices cant talk each same time to the computer, instead they take turns)

I always suggest ethernet where possible for many reasons:

• Network latency has an impact on how volumio reacts (UI is faster etc)
  • You can stream DSD or higher res files without hiccup and in a fast manner

All the above is almost irrelevant if you use a 5Ghz network.
So if you have a device which can connect to 5ghz network and you have a 5g router, then you can be good with wifi, otherwise go with wired

2 Likes

Web UI seems to be quite memory hungry, it never releases any of it, leak?. Also it might need quite bit of an performance fixes, with +20k albums it loads forever and scrolling is performed with 0.01 frames per second speed.

(Chrome - Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit))

http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/K95u5wI.html

E: while writing this, now it consumes ~5.9gb memory allready.
E2: +7gb and counting
E3: new log after crash
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/EREDiRX.html

Thanks Joni.
This looks like a separate issue: browser going out of memory, rather Volumio.
20k albums is quite a massive load for any webpage… would you have any hint on how to circumvent it?

Rpi ver 3.131

Lost Artist and Track info when playing webradio

Worked fine in ver 3.114 - 3.129

Thanks SonosKiller (please stay in stable mode :wink: )

This has been changed because usually the webradio title was a long messy name of the stream URL…
If we find a way to prevent that from happening, we’ll restore it

1 Like

Thanks for your reply :innocent:

I use Volumio 3.129 on my RPi4 and it works well and sounds great!

My “server” is a MacMini 2009 running Volumiobuster 2.857

Now I want to go to the 3.129 but I couldn´t install it:

sh: can´t access tty: job control turned off

I´m a noob to all this linux stuff - how can I solve this?

Yes, its browser going out of memory instead of volumio device itself, but it does go out of memory because the Volumio webpage starts eating more and more memory until that point is reached. if it was a Plane(Volumio) and runway(chrome/memory), is the runway too short or plane too heavy?

Yes i agree, 20k items long list is way too much for browser at once. Perhaps the paging could be implemented on websocket aswell(We allready have it for rest api)? then just load more content and release the earlier stuff where needed. I assume there is some scroll handler within the web app, which could manage this if it was provided the total count of items, and some thresholds(perhaps user defined?) when to kick of loading new items and how many at the time.

E: either way, must again say how pleased i’m with the speed improvements on the V3, my pi is now blazing fast serving the data its asked for. in many occasions, its multiple times faster than before.

I reproduced that same issue on a fresh install of Volumio 3.129 on a x86 machine.

First file (88.2 kHz):

volumio@volumioss:~$ cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 88200 (88200/1)
period_size: 11024
buffer_size: 44096
volumio@volumioss:~$ volumio status
{
  "status": "play",
  "position": 0,
  "title": "Ommadawn (Part One)",
  "artist": "Mike Oldfield",
  "album": "Ommadawn",
  "albumart": "/albumart?cacheid=310&web=Mike%20Oldfield/Ommadawn/extralarge&path=%2FINTERNAL%2FStranieri%2FOldfield%20Mike%2F1975%20-%20Ommadawn%20%5BSACD%5D&metadata=false",
  "uri": "mnt/INTERNAL/Stranieri/Oldfield Mike/1975 - Ommadawn [SACD]/01 - Ommadawn (Part One).flac",
  "trackType": "flac",
  "seek": 1029531,
  "duration": 1157,
  "samplerate": "88.2 kHz",
  "bitdepth": "24 bit",
  "channels": 2,
  "random": null,
  "repeat": null,
  "repeatSingle": false,
  "consume": false,
  "volume": 41,
  "dbVolume": null,
  "disableVolumeControl": false,
  "mute": false,
  "stream": "flac",
  "updatedb": false,
  "volatile": false,
  "service": "mpd"
}
volumio@volumioss:~$ /bin/echo "status" | /usr/bin/socat - UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/mpd/socket     
OK MPD 0.21.11
repeat: 0
random: 0
single: 0
consume: 1
playlist: 13
playlistlength: 1
mixrampdb: 0.000000
state: play
song: 0
songid: 6
time: 1058:1157
elapsed: 1058.485
bitrate: 2830
duration: 1156.666
audio: 88200:24:2
OK

Second file (96 kHz):

volumio@volumioss:~$ cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 96000 (96000/1)
period_size: 12000
buffer_size: 48000
volumio@volumioss:~$ volumio status
{
  "status": "play",
  "position": 1,
  "title": "Return To Ommadawn, Pt. I",
  "artist": "Mike Oldfield",
  "album": "Return To Ommadawn",
  "albumart": "/albumart?cacheid=310&web=Mike%20Oldfield/Return%20To%20Ommadawn/extralarge&path=%2FINTERNAL%2FStranieri%2FOldfield%20Mike%2F2017%20-%20Return%20To%20Ommadawn%20%5BSACD%5D&metadata=false",
  "uri": "mnt/INTERNAL/Stranieri/Oldfield Mike/2017 - Return To Ommadawn [SACD]/01-Return To Ommadawn, Pt. I.flac",
  "trackType": "flac",
  "seek": 49978,
  "duration": 1271,
  "samplerate": "88.2 kHz",
  "bitdepth": "24 bit",
  "channels": 2,
  "random": null,
  "repeat": null,
  "repeatSingle": false,
  "consume": false,
  "volume": 41,
  "dbVolume": null,
  "disableVolumeControl": false,
  "mute": false,
  "stream": "flac",
  "updatedb": false,
  "volatile": false,
  "service": "mpd"
}
volumio@volumioss:~$ /bin/echo "status" | /usr/bin/socat - UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/mpd/socket
OK MPD 0.21.11
repeat: 0
random: 0
single: 0
consume: 1
playlist: 15
playlistlength: 1
mixrampdb: 0.000000
state: play
song: 0
songid: 7
time: 54:1271
elapsed: 53.991
bitrate: 2211
duration: 1270.679
audio: 96000:24:2
OK

Log while playing the second file:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/yDTxQYm.html

Eventually, this problem is not any longer relegated into the Virtual Box “limbo”.

The hardware is the same as this post: