Volumio 3.703 + Pi 4 + HiFiBerry DAC2 HD

Hello everyone,

I love Volumio

After the latest updates, I can no longer use Volumio, the first two starts is everything ok, but from the third onwards, it reports this error to me: Failed to open “alsa” (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device. Latest working version 3.661.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

2 Likes

Hey @Itolo,

For each misbehaving device provide logs URL that our community members can check for clues.

How to create logs URL is explained in our help section:

Kind Regards,

Thank you @nerd

here is the link http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/HPI1jXt.html

Kind Regards

Hey @Itolo,

Right. There is regression with kernel kernel 6.1.77.
Enable test mode and update to the latest beta → 3.733.

Although the thread was started for raspberry Pi 5 - please visit and read it, the thread is discussing pitfalls with hifibery dacs:

Kind Regards,

I tried to update but OTA doesn’t work, I tried to look for an .img file of 3.733 but I was unsuccessful.

I took a look at the thread, my problem is different, the HiFiBerry DAC2 HD is not detected 90% of the time

Kind Regards,

@Itolo

Hi Daniele,

Do you have this problem only with Volumio, or did you also try other distribution like Raspbian.
I recall this behavior with one of my Hifiberry DAC2 which finally broke down.

Hi @Wheaten

I only have this problem with the latest version 3.703, with version 3.661 I have no problems currently but I’m using that. I don’t use other distribution, I love volumio :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Kind Regards

Updating to V3.733 is working again

Thank you

Please report to us if it solves your audio issues

1 Like

I installed version 3.733 but I have the same problem

Not good news, but thanks for reporting it

1 Like

Hey @Itolo,

The previous log you shared has shown problems with HifiBerry DAC init.

Please generate new log and post here.

Kind Regards,

Hi @nerd

here is the link http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/AXmOxw8.html thank you

Kind Regards

Hey @Itolo,

Jul 03 23:32:40 volumio systemd-udevd[355]: controlC1: Failed to open ATTR{/sys/devices/platform/soc/soc:sound/sound/card1/controlC1/../uevent} for writing: No such file or directory Jul 03 23:32:40 volumio kernel: snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplushd soc:sound: ASoC: driver name too long 'HifiberryDacplusHD' -> 'HifiberryDacplu'

Above suggest incorrect dtoverlay or hw problem.

Since you mention that this is one of many Pi+DAC devices you have. Can you use the DAC from working setup to test?

Kind Regards,

I only have one hardware and I use two micro SD cards since the new versions don’t work. With the same hardware the 3.661 continues to work perfectly, while the subsequent versions do not work, I also tried the 3.735 but with the same problem. Thank you

Hey @Itolo,

Interesting.
We have logs from 3.733/3.735 and both are showing the same error.

Can you post the logs from working 3.661 please that we can compare?

Kind Regards,

Hi @nerd

here is the link http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/kDCvnBa.html thank you

Hey @Itolo,

Scenario you have, defies the logic. Devs are astonished at best.

The same hardware, identical kernel, 3.661 and 3.735 => different device overlay behaviour.
Lets try understand what is happening. On 3.661 and 3.735:

md5sum /boot/overlays/hifiberry-dacplushd.dtbo

Kind Regards,

I got " ERROR. Failed to open “ALSA” (Alsa)
Failed to open alsa device “volumio” no such device.

It works for years, after software updates it stop working.

Config:
Raspberry Pi 4B 4G and Hifibery DAC2 HD board. Hardware is OK, I installed HIfiBerryOS and this combination works. Use the latest Volumio version 3.703
Is there anyone with the same problems and solved it?