Unofficial Volumio 3 on Odroid boards (C4/ N2/ N2+/ M1S)

As for the Odroid C4, could people using an Odroid Hifi Shield please reply?
I could add the HiFi Shield 2 (the one with the pcm5122 chip), not sure about the old one yet (pcm5102a).
My problem, I don’t have any of them which stops me from testing.

Hi, this is so far the best stable 3.542 version for the N2+. Unfortunately only has sound dropouts on the radio. The audio buffer is set to 12MB. Do you have that too ? What can I do ?

Welcome to the forum Joggie!
As for the dropouts, I have never experienced that with any of the N2 and the later N2+ images.
Do you use a wired or a wireless connection? Does it happen with a particular radio channel or on all of them?

Same here. Radio streaming on the N2 is very stable, I experience more issues when streaming the same channel on a rPi.

Hallo gkkpch !
I have a cable connection. And the audio port is SPDIF. Over the HiFi Shield Plus. In no other version I had this problem. I also tried to change the buffer size via mdp.conf. Unfortunately this did not work. After the reboot again the 12MB. I have the problem more or less with all radio stations. Really too bad. Because the version is really great. And reboots work really well. That was sometimes really tricky with other versions. I will run the log file and see if there is a message.

Strange, I never experienced any reboot issues and cannot help you with that either. Nothing was changed for the N2/N2+ platform, this has been end-of-support for a long time now. You only get regular updates for the Volumio part of it. This will not change.

You could try the experimental 6.1.y version to see whether that makes a difference (see end of the first post), but I seriously doubt it.
I’m afraid I can’t help much as this is not an official supported Volumio version, it sounds a bit rude but you need to take it as-is.

@gkkpch

He Gé any suggestion on how to solve this?
Performed a factory reset.
N2+, V3.532.

volumio@volumion2dx3pro:~$ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Ign:2 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_14.x buster InRelease
Err:3 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_14.x buster Release
  Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate chain uses not yet valid certificate.  Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP: 172.67.10.205 443]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'https://deb.nodesource.com/node_14.x buster Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
volumio@volumion2dx3pro:~$

Rolled back to V3.512 and issue is gone.

Problem identified, low voltage on RTC causing a time update error.

New image 3.569 with Tidal Hi-Res flac, see post #1

(Odroid N2/N2+ w. kernel 6.1 beta → version 3.571)

3 Likes

Welcome to Volumio for Odroid-N2 (6.1.27-meson64 aarch64)
A N2+ with a broken USB chip using the internal 384Khz/32bit analog line output does not over drive a TPA3220 amp. Heck, it sound great!

Thanks gkkpch.

Hello there,
I just got my Odroid C4 and has installed [Volumio-3.569-2023-10-21-odroidc4]
I would like to use the i2s output from the 7-pin to connect to an external DAC
however the “audio output device” only has “HDMI/Toslink (spdif)” in the selection bar.
How do I enable the i2s output?
Thank you so much

Read the instructions in the opening post, I documented it in detail.
Use “ODROID-HIFI” for a generic configuration, the other one is Odroid Hifi Shield 2 specific (PCM5242 codec with I2C interface for control).

Only for the “daring” ones, there is also a beta build 3.601 for the Odroid N2+:
Volumio-3.601-2024-01-19-odroidn2

Still without the power button?
If no powerbutton I can’t use it as I can’t access the SBC without opening the case.

It is the 6.1 kernel version, which does not have power button enabled.
However, the 3.601 version is legacy, with power button, so no issue.

Ok, still on the 4.9.x kernel. Will give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks Gé

We have a kernel 6.1 based version as well
Volumio-3.601-2024-01-20-odroidn2a

I have been running this one for a while and did not notice any difficulties.
Allows me to support Odroid N2/N2+ for a long time to come.

3 Likes

Introducing unofficial support for the Odroid M1S.
See Opening Post

1 Like

3.611 versions available
See Opening Post

Hi Gé,

Is V3.611 still running on K4.9 (because of the power button function?)