Unofficial Volumio 3 on Odroid boards (C4/ N2/ N2+/ M1S)

A bit unclear from which device your doing this, but volumio@volumio will never work.
Either connect to the device’s ip ssh volumio@<ip-address> or ssh volumio@<devicename>.local

Requirements for now playing are:
Node >= 8
Volumio >=3
Which seems applicable.

Please post a full log, as those partial cut/paste actions are not really helping us.

For the DAC, please read the opening post of this topic.

Hi @Wheaten,

thanks for your fast reply! I have no idea why, but after playing around with it for a while, doing a factory reset and rebooting several times, a few things now work.

• SSH is now working, even with volumio@volumio (I have configured my DNS accordingly, access is via my notebook).
  • Wifi is detected, but no connection can be established, authentication times out. I am pretty sure I have entered the correct password.
  • The Hifi Shield Plus is recognised after I configured it in user.boot.ini.
  • Plugins seem to be able to be installed now.

Sorry I didn’t attach the full log right away. Here it is.

Thank you very much!
Martin

On the WiFi part, I can’t give much advise. Not sure if the hardware is supported.
Only thing you can try is to disable the hotspot and try again.

There is very limited support for Odroid as it was a community porting.
Very random there might be an update for the C4 and N2+

Correct, I officially dropped support for my community portings, but made an exception, without promise, to update the C4 and N2/N2+ image versions once in a while (I still use them). Having said that, there will be Volumio updates/ fixes but there won’t be any Odroid-specific bug fixing or adding/ extending Odroid peripheral support (like wifi dongles etc.).
You get what is in the package, full stop.

This is something we can’t do much with, the log shows some but no vital info.
Not sure how much support you get with the TP-Link using an RTL8192EU chip in the 4.9.241 kernel.
Please test it with an official Hardkernel image first and let us know. As was said previously, Odroid support is very limited, when the HK image does not work with the dongle, Volumio won’t either.

1 Like

Odroid N2/N2+ and C4 versions were updated to 3.449.
Please use OTA to update your version or the download links to install.

In case of issues, you can post Volumio questions in the Help section.
Odroid platform-specific support is limited to answering questions, no fixes or updates.

Volumio-3.449-2023-04-22-odroidn2
Volumio-3.449-2023-04-22-odroidc4

2 Likes

Odroid C/C1/C1+ and C2 versions were also updated to 3.449 as a “one-off” for their Volumio Universal capabilities. There is no guarantee whether or when this will be repeated.
Please use OTA to update your old version (or the download links to install).

Note: these versions are published “as-is”, there is no support.
In case of issues, then “tant pis” as the French say.

Volumio-3.449-2023-04-22-odroidc1
Volumio-3.449-2023-04-22-odroidc2

1 Like

The connection also timed out with the official HK image. So I bought the original Odroid wifi adapter and everything works fine now.

Perfect, glad you solved it that way.

Just a short update from me, because I just spent a few hours analysing why Volumio is no longer working properly. It was a faulty SD card. After changing to another one, everything works great from the beginning!

See updated OP for continuing Odroid C4 and N2/N2+ support :grinning:

2 Likes

Note OP, version 3.512 now available

4 Likes

Hi Gé
After putting it into test mode, my Odroid C2 offered me an update to 3.512 which was downloaded and installed. As there is no 3.512 for C2, whatever was installed, did not boot.
Manually reinstalling 3.449 resolved the issue. I will refrain from putting the C2 in test mode in the future
:hot_face:

must have been a community test build accident, C2 is no longer supported and should not get new versions.

In order to create a longer life for Odroid C4/ N2 and N2+ device support, a few things have been consolidated for amlogic based devices.
Radxa Zero, Zero2, Odroid C4/N2/N2+ now all use the same kernel and were moved to a nearly identical build process.
As a result, there is an Odroid N2/N2+ beta version with a 6.1.y kernel.
Adventurers may now download this version Volumio-3.539-2023-08-10-odroidn2a

Note 1: you cannot update a current N2 version, as the beta runs as an odroid N2A device.
3.539 supports Lineout, SPDIF and USB Audio.
HDMI Audio may work, but is untested and there is an error in the log (relevant or not??).

SPDIF default is on the 40-pin header pin #7 (pin #8 GND).
Anyone wishing to change this to the J7 header, pin #2 needs to copy the userEnv.template in /boot to userEnv.txt and then edit that file to uncomment the ‘user_overlays’ line. J7 Pin #1 is GND.

Then reboot.

Note 2: this version is based on the current volumio development core, which may not be completely stable, just report your issues and I will evaluate

Could you a screenshot of the title before and after? Or give the filename of the corresponding .dsf file?
I’m not able to reproduce it here.

I have done a bit more systematic analysis. I am using a Synology DS1815+ with both Synology Media Server and MinimServer installed (both current versions).

With MinimServer upon first play of a DSF file with metadata, in the track title spaces are shown as *20

When I click pause and play, the track title is displayed correctly with spaces

If the track title does not contain any spaces, the title is displayed correctly at first play with MinimServer.

When I use Synology Media Server, the behaviour is different. Upon first play, the filename of the DSF file is displayed, not the track title:

After I click pause and play, the track title is displayed correctly.

Volumio seems to misinterprete the metadata that the two media servers are sending

As you are a Premium member, I would open a ticket.
Might be better than just reporting it here.
I use a Synology DS415 with a series of .dsf albums. Has never been an issue. I don’t use DLNA or Minimserver, instead I shared the Synology’s music folder via smb/ cifs.

You can update to 3.542 from a previous odroidn2a image.
Or flash Volumio-3.542-2023-08-10-odroidn2a to an SD card or emmc

No big difference.
Just added support for another Realtek BT adapter (VendorID 0x0b05, ProductID 0x17dc)
(e.g. UGREEN USB Bluetooth 5.0 Adapter with RTL8761BUV chipset)

Did some more testing today, appears to be rather stable, far wider choice for wifi and bt dongles.
(Big thank you to the Armbian guys).
Switching SPDIF between Pin 7 (40-pin header) and Pin 2 (J7 header) also works fine.
The only thing missing is Power On/Off button support.
I did find some info on how to do this on a mainline kernel, but it needs to be implemented and tested first. Low prio though.
C4 is next.