Raspberry Pi 5 just announced

Just received notification of a new Raspberry Pi 5. I’m assuming there will be no problems running Volumio on this new board?

Steve (UK)

1 Like

From their website:

I assume the kernel would have to be updated, at the very least, to get Volumio working.

1 Like

yes, same as wth the rPi4 rev1.4 to rev1.5, needed a kernel update.

No need for it yet, but to be sure I pre-ordered one, in case it will end up again in supply chain issues :wink:

In your opinion, based on what can be understood from the announced features and imagining an adaptation of Volumio with a new kernel, could there be advantages in audio performance and overall OS management?

Hi,

As i don‘t expect great advantages i ask myself if i really want to feed around 30 Watts of electric energy into a device that does music streaming…

BR
Josef

2 Likes

It’s not only streaming Music, this one also blows air. since cooling is mandatory. :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s going to be ideal for hot hits and power ballads. Maybe the new USB interface will do something pleasant? Seems overkill, but I’ve also pre-ordered one anyway.

…or real large heat sink

but yes i also preordered one :wink:

1 Like

I cannot see why anyone would immediately upgrade to Pi5 if they are only going to run Volumio on it. How could you possibly expect any noticeable or measurable sound improvement? Leave it alone.

2 Likes

It’s not about the sound especially if you use a HAT. It’s about speed especially as some of us have 1000s of albums

2 Likes

I’m not sure how ordering a Pi you don’t need will improve supply issues.

Just because I can.

3 Likes

I will use mine, but not for Volumio.

3 Likes

Good choice.:+1:

1 Like

What’s the best version of the Pi for Volumio, considering performance and power efficiency?

Up until now, PI4 (2gb model)

Thanks!

From what I can see of the pre-release samples, a couple of (fairly minor) things that might make it interesting for Volumio.

Mainly the possibility of Wake on LAN and power saving via sleep mode, though it would require software support in Volumio, but might be handy and greener for Pis that never disconnect. Not yet testable in PiOS, but it’s apparently on the cards.

Also boot from USB is now workable, so you could maybe boot externally, ideally I’d love to boot and run from an image (or a selection of images, heavenly choir sings) on my NAS, dump the SD card thing. Even better if it can all be set up on Docker so I can throw Volumio on the same Pi as my NAS instead of running 2. Wishful thinking maybe

On the matter of power consumption the official PSU is 5V 5A (so they expect absolute max 25W) and probably intended to support several peripherals on the same 25W PSU. The testing I’ve seen is more power efficient per CPU clock than the Pi4 and stress tests on the bare board run at about 6-8 Watts, not much different than the Pi4 which is a bit of a toaster.

Another unknown, and a deal breaker for me, is whether a good passive cooling case can avoid throttling on a summer day. The Pi4 can do it, which makes for a fanless install of Volumio.

Overall much of a muchness with Pi4 in terms of effective/usable spec, Volumio doesn’t need the extra grunt, but some interesting new features. The first thing I’d want to do is replace my Pi4 with a Pi5 as a NAS processor because the on board I/O is much faster, but not if I have to run a fan.

2 Likes

Interesting @volumio ! Why the 2GB RPi4b model over the 4GB?

Because 2GB are plenty for the RAM memory consumption of Volumio. Volumio needs at least 512MB of RAM, when using a touch display RAM usage might hit 1,5GB.

2 Likes