Raspberry Pi 5 just announced

Yes, not that much experience with the rPi5 yet, as it’s pretty new. I know form the rPi4 it will go into protection when to much current is drawn (lowering the voltage) from the USB port, causing the system to become unstable.
I expect the same behavior with rpi5.

1 Like

Had similar issues. What i found out was that there was too much voltage drop on the cable from the PSU to the PI. As mine is a diy PSU, i increased the voltage to 5.1V and changed to a better cable.
The Pi will not be happy if the voltage drops under 4.8V.
A thing to try, if you have a multimeter try measuring the voltage on pins 2 and 6, not on the PSU itsself.

Or Pin 2 on the PI and the + on the PSU to see the voltage drop.

1 Like

In Pi5 If you are using a power supply that cannot provide 5A at +5V on first boot you will be warned by the operating system that the current draw to peripherals will be restricted to 600mA. That is on RaspiOs. You can use command in config to rise this 600mA. On default you can’t boot from SSD or USB on 3A PS, if you want… need change command in config.txt.

Yes, I done the same ( it is in “My oak volumio” thread ). My Pi5 is connected through GPIO and PSU bypassed Pi voltage regulator. Now I boot with SSD without original Pi5 PSU-PD.

I have playing with the RPi5 for a while now and everything is working great except it’s never completed adding my music (>100k songs) from my NAS. 10K+ songs is the most that it added and then stopped. Never had this issue with RPi4 nor TBS.

My solution was using a working copy (with >100k songs scanned) from RPi4 and tweak to work with RPi5. Now it works really good but I shouldn’t have to do this!!!

RPi5 - 8GB
Volumio - 3.588
Plugins:
Spotify - 4.0.4 (yes, meter VUs works)
PeppyMeter Screensaver - 1.3.1
Touch Display - 3.3.7

1 Like

I am having some issues with an RP5 and TSOP4838 IR receiver.
At the RP4 this IR receiver worked fine. All plugins, settings and library at the same place in the new PR5 as it was at the old RP4, I get some errors at the RP5 and no IR is working:

Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[ 311.874621] rc rc0: gpio_ir_recv as /devices/platform/ir-receiver@17/rc/rc0
[ 311.874768] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver gpio_ir_recv registered at minor = 0, raw IR receiver, no transmitter
[ 311.874998] input: gpio_ir_recv as /devices/platform/ir-receiver@17/rc/rc0/input2
[ 373.490306] OF: ERROR: memory leak, expected refcount 1 instead of 2, of_node_get()/of_node_put() unbalanced - destroy cset entry: attach overlay node /ir-receiver@17
[ 373.490548] OF: ERROR: memory leak before free overlay changeset, /ir-receiver@17
[ 373.546567] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[ 373.546721] rc rc0: gpio_ir_recv as /devices/platform/ir-receiver@12/rc/rc0
[ 373.546883] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver gpio_ir_recv registered at minor = 0, raw IR receiver, no transmitter
[ 373.547106] input: gpio_ir_recv as /devices/platform/ir-receiver@12/rc/rc0/input3

May some of you have an idea?
Thank you for your help!

@wheaton

Thanks again for your help. Your solution worked in part.

My biggest problem was that when flashing the Volumio image, and using the Pi Imager tool, I selected The Pi5 as my hardware (because it is) but it simply would not install. I finally went back and selected Pi4 and flashed and then everything was perfect. Installed, it is fast, seems a bit more stable. For instance when I switch DACs it just does it really quickly and dos not bomb like the 4 often did.

Very happy with the new Pi5b set up.

flashing as rPi5 with raspberry imager should work, just don’t use the image offered by raspberry imager. Make sure you choose custom and download the image from Volumio.com.

@wheaten

Do you know if it matters? Since I flashed with rPi4 as the hardware, everything is perfect. If I flashed with rPi5 as the hardware, would there be benefits?

Nope, the Volumio image is pretty universal for the rPi3,4 and 5. I expect if you load the original Raspbian the config.txt might be different. For Volumio it doesn’t matter.

On Pi5 with 3.584 and 3.595 I can not use “static IP”. I can turn off Auto IP and put my static IP but after save and restart is still the same auto IP.

The same on WIRED and WIFI connection. Netmask and Gatevay are correct. It works with Pi4 without problem.

It’s no metter what IP I use on my router is still the same:

I’m running 3.595 on RPi5 and don’t have this problem. I turned off AutoIP and input a static ip then restarted several times and the static ip is still there.

I run static IP on WIFi when I choose new network, but on wired LAN still is auto IP number

Here’s my setting. After restart, it’s still staticIP.

Gents, I updated to 3.601 and i cannot get the HDMI to work with the touch display, what is the overlay that i need to have in my user config for HDMI to work?
Thanks

Is it update or new instalation ??

After I update to 3.601 I have fully worked display, When I use new clean 3.601 install from NVMe I have problem with touch display “xserver connection”. To start working one more time I use @gvolt “hocus pocus” from here:

1 Like

in the release 3.601 the v4c drivers have been activated for the RPi5, they were not used before.

the “hocus pocus” from @gvolt will solve your problem

1 Like

Farnell has about 9500 pcs Pi5 on stock. Price is 10% lover than regular.

it worked:) thanks!

1 Like

I have question:

If I have RTC accu for Pi5

command in userconfig.txt

dtparam=rtc_bbat_vchg=3000000

enabled internal Pi5 charger like it is on Raspi0S?

EDIT:

I’m getting smarter :upside_down_face:

I discover new command and after use I see that command works:

[ 0.382960] rpi-rtc soc:rpi_rtc: trickle charging enabled at 3000000uV
[ 0.388487] rpi-rtc soc:rpi_rtc: registered as rtc0
[ 0.389948] rpi-rtc soc:rpi_rtc: setting system clock to 2024-02-02T11:14:26 UTC (1706872466)

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Volumio on Raspberry Pi5 fails to load