Raspberry Pi 5 just announced

it will initiate a clean shutdown

and power on after re-use

Thx Darmur!

Has anyone adjusted the eeprom configuration in order to reduce the shutdown power?
It’s describe here like this:

Default shutdown wattage is around 1 to 1.4W. However this can be decreased by manually editing the EEPROM configuration, sudo rpi-eeprom-config -e and change the settings to:

BOOT_UART=1
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1
BOOT_ORDER=0xf416

This should drop the shutdown power consumption to around 0.01W.

But however, it seems a bit more complicate to edit the eeprom config.

Thanks for this link. I thinking how I can add external power button. Now I know:

“The J2 jumper, located between the RTC battery connector and the board edge, is a breakout allowing you to add your own power button to Raspberry Pi 5 by adding a Normally Open (NO) momentary switch bridging the two pads. Briefly closing this switch will perform the same actions as the onboard power button.”

yep it works. Just make sure to use a fiberglass pin to clean the pads, otherwise soldering becomes problematic.

Don’t worry, I’m certified electronics technician ( Master’s degree in philosophy and mechanical engineer, too :upside_down_face: ). I am a Renaissance man - I am not afraid of any work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The latter might help you :slight_smile: But the first won’t get it on the board :joy:

1 Like

Since years with RPI I use two GPIO pins:
One which shorten via button to GND initiate the shutdown
One which indicate via LED the system is online/ofline

Only what needs to be done is to add below to config.txt (I usually selects these GPIO for which initial state is high):

dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff,gpiopin=xx
dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,gpio_pin=yy,active_low=1

gpio-poweroff is a pin that at the end of the shutdown should have a certain voltage value
gpio-shutdown is a pin that can be used to initiate a shutdown

Yeah but the rpi 5 has hardware for a power button, so why would you use GPIO?

1 reason I have for different purpose at least 4 RPI4 and only one RPI5. For RPI5 I don’t need to change the connector :slight_smile: I am lazy
2 reason - I need as well second GPIO for the status.
As a hardware I have standby module which through the relay is powering up the power supply for RPI - when I initiate poweroff from RPI side and when this second GPIO idicate the RPI is off than rellay is cutting of power for RPI. And vice versa: when I press button the RPI is going down, when finished the power is off because of change of second GPIO.

1 Like

worked like a charm. thanks.

Why are you annoying me? :wink:

1 Like

Pi5 is in system now. I observe that CPU temperature is higher than Pi4. I ordered official coller. Because my Volumio works non stop till I install coller I underclocking Pi5. It works. I have the same fast Volumio start but lower temperatures.

I put into userconfig:

over_voltage_delta=-20000
arm_freq=1800
gpu_freq=500

I tried another clock values but this is ok for my system till I pick up cooler.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [PLUGIN] Touch Display

Pi 5 new firmware:

• Firmware Version: 2023/12/06 18:29:25 Copyright (c) - (embedded)
1 Like

Guys, someone have / use Hifiberry Amp2 HAT with RPI 5? Volumio ist more faster (and awesome) than RPI 3 model b but I cannot get any sound it. Volumio said to me I don’t have any hardware there. I read it in official Hifiberry webpage, the RPI 5 can not change the master/slave sound device automatic but I didn’t even find any info how can I do this. Do you have any Idea how can I do this? Thanks. :slight_smile:

Should work

https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/pi5-compatibility-with-hifiberry-products/

1 Like

I know it should. :frowning: “While older Pi’s could switch between master and slave mode during sound card initialisation, this is not possible with the Pi5 anymore.” I don’t know how can I do this.

1 Like

this was done by the driver behind the scenes, nothing can be done manually.

from the link on the Hifiberry website:

We’re working on updates to create updated drivers for these cards.

When a new driver will be merged in the official Raspberry Pi kernel, it could be implemented on Volumio as well

2 Likes