Premium "Device" vs Premium "Account" (MiniDSP SHD) and Grouping

Hello all,

I currently own a MiniDSP SHD, which runs Volumio natively. Based on this thread (miniDSP SHD streamer) I think I assumed that I would be able to add a second (or more) Volumio device (Raspberry Pi 4) and/or chromecast device and be able to utilize them for multi-zone support because I already “had Premium”.

Now that I’ve built the RPi device and installed Volumio, I’m very confused.

Signing into the RPi, Volumio says that I’m on a ‘Free’ account.
Signing into the MiniDSP device with the same credentials says that I’m on a “Premium Device”.
Neither device are registered with My Volumio.

When I’m accessing the RPi device and try to use a premium feature like “Grouping” it prompts me to go premium.
When I’m accessing the SHD Device and go to “Grouping” it says that there are “No groupable devices found” even though it can see my Chromecast in “Cast” and my RPi in the devices main screen (Android app).

Am I doing something wrong here?
I honestly can’t tell if this is supposed to work or not.

I’m not completely sure what the function of MyVolumio is. Do I need to register both devices with MyVolumio to make this work? Do I need to pay for Premium?

I would really appreciate any help here. Thank you all.

MiniDSP has a single device license that will only work on your MiniDSP. If you want to use all of volumio features on 6 devices, you need a premium account.

Thank you for the reply. I think this part is clear, although a bit of a disappointment.

I suppose if I wanted to avoid buying premium subscription that the ‘target’ device would need to be something that’s supported by the “premium device” license on the MiniDSP (i.e. a chromecast or group of them)… at which point Volumio isn’t actually benefiting me at all since I’m only really using Spotify Connect.

I also assume that when ‘casting’ from Volumio to a chromecast, it doesn’t play audio from the ‘host’ device, right? so it’s not like I’d get multi-room support that way either.

Please take this up with MiniDSP, they sold you the unit and the license.

I sort of knew this was coming.
Sorry if this isn’t the right place for these questions, but it’s genuinely difficult to understand (both from MiniDSP and Volumio’s side) how certain functions are supposed to work/interact.

Am I right to understand based on your reply that MiniDSP has modified the Premium ‘license’ in such a way that makes it significantly different from the 3 packages that Volumio offers and therefore all support falls on them?

I do have this same question pending in the SHD support forum as well.

Thanks

DSP has a custom build of Volumio with that, support is with MiniDSP.

For these kind of devices there is a single device license that give all options, but only for that device.
This goes for MiniDSP as wel as Volumio’s own hardware. (Primo, Integro and Rivo).
If you want to use premium services like multiroom, grouping you need a premium license.

Same as the diesel regulating engine software, which is primarily owned by Bosch, but used in multiple car brands. You can’t drive your Volkswagen to a Bosch plant and expect them to repair it because it doesn’t start.

Hello,

please take a look of this knowledge base article about Premium device and Premium plan differences.
Premium device vs Premium plan - What are the differences? (volumio.com)

thanks
Davide
VOLUMIO TECH SUPPORT

Thanks very much for the link. Certainly something that I hadn’t been able to find before making the post.
It does clarify the separation of device-tied license and the subscription license, and even addresses at least the basic question about multi-room support when only having a premium device license.

“This goes for MiniDSP as wel as Volumio’s own hardware. (Primo, Integro and Rivo).
If you want to use premium services like multiroom, grouping you need a premium license.”

This is (finally) clear, although I will tell you that from my perspective, you’re being very careful NOT to highlight that this is also how the Primo, Integro and Rivo products work. The product pages for these products say that “Volumio OS comes with a Multi-room capability” with no asterisk stating that you’d be required to sign up for a subscription for that to work.
If my understanding of how the function/licensing on Volumio’s own products is wrong, please correct me.

In regards to your analogy, I didn’t post here asking the support team to “fix” anything. I was looking for clarification of how the device/subscription licensing is intended to function. IMO the responses could have been much more straightforward with “we can’t speak for the specifics of MiniDSP’s modifications to our software, but the way this would work on a product like the Volumio Primo is…”

Again, from my perspective, it SEEMS as though Volumio is guilty of the same slippery advertising for their own products that MiniDSP might have been.
In the end, I am not willing to buy into a subscription based model for this sort of functionality when Chromecast, Wiim, Bluesound and even Sonos all offer it without subscription.

I’ll try to clarify even further.

The Volumio devices (Primo, Rivo, Integro) or products by Volumio for third parties (e.g. Bladelius, MiniDSP, etc…) do not need any additional licence for the multi-room feature.

If you have two or more Volumio products, you can cast from one to another or more, without paying any additional subscription. This is what is claimed in the product page.

If you have a device not branded as Volumio, but on which Volumio can be installed (e.g. RPI), the multiroom feature works only if you have a premium subscription on that device. If you have the free tier on that device, multiroom won’t work, even if you have another Volumio product with multiroom capability.

This is a perfect explanation, THANK YOU!