[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

Hi All

Hoping you can help me with my OLED, this is the first time i am doing this so not sure what im doing wrong.

I have a RPI 4 running volumio ver: 2.873

i managed to install MPD OLED following these instructions

volumio-plugins/plugins/miscellanea/mpd_oled at master · supercrab/volumio-plugins · GitHub

the install was successful my only issue is i get a few error messages.

im using a I2C 0.91 oled display and connected the wires as per the diagram

VCC pin 1
GND pin 9
SCK pin 5
SDA pin 3

If i try to save any settings i get this message

Also if i try to scan for the device i get this message

Not sure what the settings should be or how to enable my i2c? Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Not finding the mpd_oled command doesn’t sound good!

The plugin appears to be using the latest mpd_oled binary package, which was not built for Volumio 2 (debian jessie), and the packaging manager may have refused to install it during the plugin installation. If this is the case you will need to install mpd_oled from source (mpd_oled/install_volumio2_source.md at 3de8a1700e405f6437d12b508818dc328b9e6ff6 · antiprism/mpd_oled · GitHub up to the end of “build and install mpd_oled”) .

Also, you seem to be using an unsupported 256x64 screen. (It may work, but show just the top half of the full 256x128 display).

Thank you Adrii

I also have this oled to try and test:

which is a 1.54 inch oled if im not mistaken.

I’m still new to this, would i have to uninstall the current mpd_oled? or just install from the source/link you gave?

With this would i still keep the oled UI on volumio?

Sorry do i also need to install Cava for the EQ meter?

hhhhmm maybe easier just to update to volumio 3?

Thanks

You need to install both the mpd_oled and cava binaries for mpd_oled to work correctly, and with these installed I imagine the plugin should work fine (but I don’t know for sure). However, and unfortunately, I have just remembered that the packages required to build mpd_oled on Volumio 2 were broken, and you will probably not be able to follow the build instructions. An alternative is to install Raspbian jessie on an SD card and build the binaries on there, then copy them over to Volumio 2 /usr/local/bin, but this is starting to be a lot of work…

Updating to Volumio 3 makes life easier. The mpd_oled Volumio 3 plugin is working well for a number of people.

Your 1.54" display looks like it would work fine with mpd_oled.

1 Like

You should be able to install the old version of mpd_oled for volumio 2 using my old fork. Try this

Install CAVA

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git-core autoconf make libtool libfftw3-dev libasound2-dev
git clone https://github.com/karlstav/cava
cd cava
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

Install mpd_oled

git clone https://github.com/supercrab/mpd_oled
cd mpd_oled
PLAYER=VOLUMIO make
cp mpd_oled /usr/bin/
1 Like

It will be difficult to build cava on Volumio 2, as it is difficult to install a working C compiler (see Cannot install build-essential package ). [EDIT: unless there happens to be a working C compiler available on a fresh install]

1 Like

Oh dear, I didn’t know that :frowning:

I tried to install MPD OLED plugin on my RPi0-2. The plugin works, but it’s not started on boot, I have to manually enter the plugin settings and press SAVE to make it working

I tested both versions 1.0.13 and 1.0.14, same problem

use version 1.0.8.

1 Like

No Clue what is happening with this plugin. In my previous runs I’ve listed what was working and what was not.
After a fresh install none of them worked anymore, so I fell back to V0.0.45

did you have a look to the changes?

thanks for the hint, it works fine

1 Like

I spent days trying to find out why it doesn’t work but never found a solution :tired_face:. It just doesn’t work reliably as it should for some reason :sob:

V1.0.8 is ok for you? I’ll see what I changed in the subsequent versions.

yes version 1.0.8 is the only one that works for me. All other versions have something that doesn’t work well.

1.0.8 works fine for me too, I requested @balbuze to promote it as stable

So V1.0.8 is still working after a reboot? If so I will try again.
Yep it is working, getting crazy over here…

I’ve been running here for at least a month with version 1.0.8 and haven’t encountered any problems yet.

Hello,
I can’t release v1.0.8 because it does not complies with plugin requirement.
But v1.0.14 could…
I added a timer to start service later when booting and now it works on my rpi3.

// Start service
	setTimeout(function () {
		self.startService();
	}, 6800);

maybe someone can confirm :wink:

will try by Tuesday, currently at the holiday residence. only have a x86 available :smile:

1 Like