"Next X86" dev (Kernel/ Hardware/ Debian stretch/buster)

This topic is about volumio for stretch/ buster, your image is the current one with jessie.
I suggest to open a topic in the help section and please include a log (see Volumio documentation/ User Manual / Sending logs for troubleshooting).
There are zillions of different x86 configurations out there, without a log we have no clue where to start looking.
Hellseher gibt’s hier nicht :mrgreen:

Wenn ich mal gleich das richtige Image hergenommen hätte, ich Dussel! :wink:

OK - thank you - I hope volumio/2.394 will be restored or avaiable back soon, so I can test it

Yes - pls make the file avaiable again, soon! :slight_smile: Would love to have it for my system running again with Volumio :slight_smile:

Old images have been deleted as we normally should not need such a large build history.
An exception is the latest X86 dev version, which is still used by users to verify operation on newer hardware.
Therefore we will put version 2.394 back to where it should be, so the download link from the OP is still valid.
Downloading should be available again within the next few hours.

Please excuse us for the inconvenience.

Success!! :smiley:

First, I want to thank Volumio Team and Forum member Robert having provided the working image for my system.

volumio-2.529-2019-01-14-x86 works absolutly great!

My system is a Streacom FC5 case, ASRock J3455, 8GB RAM, SSD and Pico 90W PSU - powered by a ASUS Xonar Essence II PCIe DAC Soundcard.

I am very happy with Volumio X86 music-server…

Thanks again
Best Regards from Munich
Fidelity089

Thanks @Fidelity089 for your welcome feedback on top of @Robert’s ASRock experience.

Hello gkkpch,

I need a little help here. I have a NUC 7i7DHNE and it’s one of the latest version of x86 hardware architecture. specifically: Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)

I was curious to know if you have a version that is supported and will run on this processor?

I tried to load the current x86 version but it gives me the following failed message: see attached.

any help is appreciated.

B+
image1.png

I forgot to add that it does load but is not functional. no networking and it will not install to disk/ssd.

You will also have to revert to the first post in this topic, please let me know.
I have a very recent Intel NUC 7 series, but with an i3, which works fine.
Architecture and components should be the same, but don’t take my word for it.
Try the dev image and you will know.

Yes, the i3 and i5 work but the i7 and later, which I have does not. I suspect your efforts to support the newest Intel/ AMD hardware will address this issue and I would like to try. I’m happy to be help with your development effort by being a text bed for your latest build that may address the i7 incompatibility. Let me know how to do this and I will participate.

Oh, and I’ll be happy to buy you a beer…

Thanks,
X

That could be, X86 is a fairly different platform.
With arm boards we known which way they have been configured, how it works, and how to adapt.
With x86 it is like an eruption, you have zillions of different configurations out in the open.
Need time to solve this…

What about an i7 architecture port? I suspect that is the issue.

What about participating with the prereleases of new sew software? perhaps something already running on i7 gen? if it exists.

I’m willing to help.

Thanks,
Bruce

i7 is not the issue, we are talking about M2 devices, Wifi devices and their firmware requirements, NVME, eMMC and whatever is new from the last 2-3 years.
PM me, I’ll get you a test version. It has no myVolumio, is not upgradable, is not official and has no guaranteed support.
But feedback is always welcome.

I want test this version.

we want lot’s of things, you forgot “please” :smiley:
PM me your email address and I’ll see to it using wetransfer.
We might have a better solution soon, nearly finished with it.

profd@ukr.net
Please i want test this new version.
I have a lot of x86 single board computer …
Liva Pc, lattepanda Dell venue 8 pro, j1900 chines board, advantech mio2261

1 Like

The message shown seem to indicate a problem with the network (the image is very blurry).
Official Volumio image is kind of … trailing … when it comes to network drivers.
Sometime you can just find the right firmware, but in your case I think it won’t help, the NEtwork (ILM219) and the Wifi card (8265AC) are very recent.

You need to recompile with the new kernel (and maybe even inject your firmwares, cf https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/core_release)

Welcome on boat!

I am a little bit confused about the version numbering here.
The image versions mentioned in this thread are lower than the now offical x86 release version (2.586 04-06-2019), yet, as far as I can tell, this is based on Debian Jessie and Linux 3.x.

Is there any new info to a Debian buster, Linux 4.x release / testing status?

I would be very interested in trying out a test image (unfortunately, as I am newly registered, I wasn’ able to send a PN) to try out Volumio on an Intel NUC and test the WiFi support there.

Thanks!

Hello, Do you use the on-board Gigabit interface provided by the Realtek chip? Any issues with that? Thanks

HI Fidelity089,

Can you share how much memory is actually seen / used by volumio. If you are using a x86 32bits kernel, isn’t there a limitation to 4 gigas only ?

I’d be very interested in testing a new build as well. I have 4 or 5 different motherboards ( intel and AMD based) Asrock , Asus…

cf:
Is there any new info to a Debian buster, Linux 4.x release / testing status?

I would be very interested in trying out a test image (unfortunately, as I am newly registered, I wasn’ able to send a PN) to try out Volumio on an Intel NUC and test the WiFi support there.

pattdepanick