My second Volumio DIY: “Autiotop” update

Hi all Volumio community,

4 years had passed since my first Volumio project:

https://community.volumio.com/t/my-music-player-project-quarantine-19-started-during-my-quarantine

(Which is sill running and playing perfectly!)

I have decided that it is time to build my next project.

This time it is much less hardware complicated, most of the work were on the software part.

In general, as before , the software integrates volumio with Peppymeter and Peppyspectrum, this time using a 7.9” 1280*400 display.

The software part:

Look here for all details:

Credit for all the guys from this thread:

for a lot of new ideas

The hardware part:

Raspberry pi 5 with 8G RAM with heat sink

I made the PSU module, by disassembly the board from the above WL-DP01 and connected to the 12 v trigger and to the power switch, as described in following wiring diagram:

Update:
After a lot of load tests playing with high Rez audio and intensive operations, I experienced some crashes of RPi because leak of power. I made a lot of optimizations to the software code , and now the meter software takes only 3% CPU in maximum pressure. It wasn’t enough, there were still crashed some time. I have decided to remove the display power source from the RPi and feed it by a stand alone cheap 5v USB power supply. that solved the problem completely.

Display - waveshare hdmi 7.9" 1280*400

Storage - 2TB SSD

Chassis - aluminum box 362X120MM

Other accessories :
USB 3.0
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 9.26.41

11 Likes

Awesome

1 Like

So what DAC are you going to be using?

1 Like

I qm using Mytek DAC+ as dac , connected through usb. No dac inside

1 Like

Nice! Totally out of my league thou.

1 Like

Well Done! Thanks for sharing…

1 Like

Very Impressive

New “Marantz”

1 Like

Pioneer 707 reel to reel animation

4 Likes

Hi,@ofiras.
What a wonderful job with Audio top.
Before i was very impressed by peppymeter but I immediately had problems with this plugin, because just by playing music from Spotify there are a lot of clicks that make listening horrible (while if I deactivate Peppymeter the music from Spotify is perfect). The music reproduced from NAS (also DSD 512) and web radios using Peppymeter however does not create any clicks. But I’haven’t found any solution to my issue. Then today, looking for other plugins that were similar to Peppymeter in terms of functions and graphics, I came across your wonderful work AudioTop (but I don’t know if it also works on Rpi4!)
I went to your page on github and tried to install your plugin, but I couldn’t, I’m a computer ignorant and Peppymeter was easy for me to install because it’s a stand alone plugin. However I tried following your step by step instructions on github but during the installation on putty There were some errors (some of the syntax, which I understood and corrected, in the git clone --branch spectrom statement https://github .com/ofirasp/AudioTop.git , where it is not “spectom” but is “spectrum” and the subsequent “cd Audiotop” which must be “cd AudioTop”) but then we get to the “sudo cp instruction volumemod/mpd.conf.tmpl /volumio/app/plugins/music_service /mpd/mpd.conf.tmpl” putty gives me an error and I can’t complete the installation correctly.
Can you help me, I will send you the installation log so you can understand the errors occurred.
It would be wonderful if you could create an installable plugin likePeppymeter… maybe your plugin is exempt from the clicks that Peppymeter generates with Spotify.
Anyway, congratulations on your work and many thanks if you want to help me install audiotop!
AudioTop installation.txt (70.1 KB)

sorry for the typo , there was a mistake in one of the files to copy (now fix in the readme file). Any way the correct commands:
sudo mv /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/alsa_controller/index.js /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/alsa_controller/index.js.original.js
sudo cp /home/volumio/AudioTop/volumiomod/index.js.audiotop.js /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/alsa_controller/index.js
sudo mv /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/mpd.conf.tmpl /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/mpd.conf.tmpl.original
sudo cp /home/volumio/AudioTop/volumiomod/mpd.conf.tmpl.audiotop.tmpl /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/mpd.conf.tmpl

after those commands, I advise you to do the following workaround in order to make sure that all is well refreshed:

using volumio web ui go to Playback options and change the output device to something else in the list for example, HDMI output . Then save. Than change it back to your DAC and save again. restart RPi. this will make sure that the sound card config files updated.

@ofiras following new intruction i’he installed AudioTop plugin, i think correctly, but no meter starts and i see only the Volumio normal performing screen with the cover…i send you the Audiotop installation log and a screenshot of the plugin settings.

audioTop installation log.txt (30.1 KB)
The only one thing i changed is the sequence of the installation.
Volumio
touch plugin
Peppyalsa
AudioTop
i don’t know how to do when ,at leat in github,you say Install dummy audio device for DSD meter"

You have to run the following command from ssh
And restart RPi after:

cat >> /etc/rc.local <<EOL

/sbin/modprobe snd-dummy index=7 pcm_substreams=1 fake_buffer=0

EOL

Just copy and paste those lines as one long command
To make sure it works after restart go to the playback options and see if there is a new DAC on the list named “dummy” (but don’t select it )

I See you’re using my Skin for the NAD

1 Like

There are 2 Skeltons from skins “nad” and and “marantz”, from @Gelo5 collection and also the pioneer cassette . its not exactly the same , but anyway I gave credit in the beginning of this post.
cheers

For all guys trying to install audiotop by the readme file, and asking me for support in PM ,
I aware that the process is no so friendly , I’ll try to find some time to improve that. and also to create a fresh image with all the components installed.
just be patient.

1 Like

Ok,
1 - Just updated the readme file in GitHub , now all the installation process is working (checked on a fresh Volumio os installation)
2 - Checked also on a Rpi 3 B+ and its perfectly working, (on the most heavy animation peak taking 19% CPU when with Rpi5 its just 3-4% on peak)
3 - Add a new AKAI Deck skin

4 - upload the installed image , if you have problems with the installation process
Dropbox

just note that the host name is volumio1.local

image is 0 bytes

now the file is fully uploaded

Hi @ofiras .
At first thank you for your support !
The zipped image is 1,656 Gb and unzipped became 28 gb? Is it right? So i need a 64 gb sd memory card to flash it?