Install Volumio on Pro-Ject Streambox S2 Ultra?

As Pro-Ject seems to have forgot all about updating software (a slightly modified Volumio, basically on a Raspberry Pi), and their support only give non-answers, I consider installing a real Volumio instead (one goal is to get Tidal Connect).
Has anyone had success doing this?

Hi Mich,

Unfortunately the vanilla Volumio image will not run on the Streambox. This is because Pro-ject used special hardware for ethernet and WiFi. These drivers are not available.
Just discussed this with development, since the streambox is built arround the rPi CM3, it might work using a supported WiFi dongle.
However no guarantees. So make sure you can recover the original image.

Thank for the reply.
There is a way, that should recover the original image (basically just a simple text file on a USB drive).
I already tried to get it to boot from a USB with a Volumio for rPi - no success.
I’m not quite sure, I dare go any further…
I think, I will make another request for Pro-Ject to get their act together.
I wonder, if one of the reasons they have not made an update supporting Tidal Connect could be some additional license payment for this?
Personally, I wouldn’t mind paying a bit extra to get this.

Deleted a post about installing a leaked tidal connect version. That’s not accepted here

@volumio could you remove this one as well?
The guy is obviously immune to community hints.

@mich I am afraid you’re out of luck. While it uses a CM3, it has a custom ethernet and wireless implementation, which are not available on standard raspbian and any other distribution…

I somehow managed to get a real answer from Pro-Ject support this time - see below.
Apparently, there are so many peculiar things about the hardware around the CM3, that have given up on implementing Tidal Connect:-(
It seems a little strange to me - I thought the CM3 was an entire computer ‘just’ added network and I/O devices. But I’m not that much into putting drivers into a Linux…
Now, I will ask, if they may make some update, improving the search in the embedded Tidal - it seems to me, that it is better by far on a ‘real’ Volumio system.

As a note, we also have an amp from Electrocompaniet with built-in streamer, that supports Tidal Connect.
Their support has confirmed, that they are working on an update allowing Tidal-Connect to play Hi-Res FLAC.

Probably, I’ll end up using the Pro-Ject to play MQA (as long as Tidal makes it possible), and maybe redbook sometimes.

"Unfortunately, the Stream Box S2 Ultra won’t receive a Tidal Connect update. In fact, we have already tried, and ran into issues during certification.
The hardware being entirely custom made, is and always has been a little bit trickier to work with for the team at Volumio and we weren’t able to get it past all stages of Tidal Connect certification.
Sorry to not have any better news, and let me know if you have any more questions."

At least you got an answer. I am still waiting for questions on (pro-ject s2) MQA, why it only works for 10% and a SW update to turn off the LCD as it burned in…

I’ve just recieved Pro-ject streambox s2 ultra tonight.

I managed to listen to some wonderful online radio so the device works.

I’ve downloaded the pro-ject app “pro-ject stream” and it failed to reconized the streamer box (it does not even see it while my phone does).

I still have 3 problems so far (i did a few factory resets in the process):

1. The reason I bought the unit is to stream tidal and it fail to connect to my account. This is very frustrating.

2. The unit fail to update even if tried to delete data and factory reset sreveral times.

3. In the “wizard”, I gave a name to the unit and the adress to reach it from a browser does not work (http://streamer.local).

After almost 3 hours, I’m kinda frustrated and feel like it should have taken 10 minutes to setup. I was very excited to stream some tidal tonight!

@ChefWill

You need to connect with Pro-ject, the community can’t support this.
If you just received it, i advise to return it ASAP, as Pro-ject and digital is not a good match.
Support from Pro-ject on their digital lines, well not sure if I can use Support and Pr-ject in one line. :thinking:

On tidal see:

As we speak, Pro-Ject’s official website is still stating that the stream box s2 ultra is supporting Tidal: Stream Box S2 Ultra – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

This is really missleading to say the least. No, it’s actually scandallous!

Why is this information so elusive on the internet right now?

Am I the only one who can’t even update the unit right after a factory reset?

It does not really help to complain in this community forum, where people can’t help you.
You should takes this up with Pro-Ject, they are selling their customized unit to you.
I would take @Wheaten 's advice and return the streamer while you still can.

Hello !
Ihave Streambox s2 ultra, currently i use it original software and playing Tidal mostly by Mconnect HD through UPnP and i think it work almoust as well as native Tidal app.
However, i installed pure Volumio twice on it and everything work normally except wifi and NET- led on front panel, ethernet worked normally, also its possible add external wifi dongle for wifi ( examble Asus USB-AC51 work fine and it even work faster than streambox s2 ultra ethernet). Before install pure Volumio should do backup from original software, i used Win32disk software for this, then original software is easy to return if want somepoint. Also need Rpiboot software if use windows pc for install new software for Streambox S2 ultra.
BUT im not done it for a while so i dont know if newer version of Volumio support ethernet, otherwise it should work like Raspberry pi.

Correct, and when you take a usb3 to eth adapter (like a TP-Link UE300), you would have ethernet as well.

Well. I actually got some guidance from Project to install Volumio.
I tried, and basically succeeded, I believe.
However, I found no way to get in contact with the streamer afterwards.
Looking into my router, I didn’t see any ip address allocated for it.
I tried using both the most recent version of Volumio and an older one - with no apparent difference. So for now, I’m back on Project.
Can any of you give a more detailed description of the procedure you followed?
I may just have missed something:-)
My main goal is to get Tidal Connect working, but I think that search function for some reason may be better in pure Volumio than the Project variety as well.

You need to add a wifi dongle as Pro-ject altered the Network and WiFi on the stream box. Since they don’t give the drivers you can’t use them.

I did try with a USB ethernet adapter (several models, actually).
But if their drivers are not included, that will obviously not work.
Does anyone know of a list of compatible devices?
(I work in an IT department, so we may have one available)
If not, I see that the suggested TP-Link UE300 is available for purchase.:slight_smile:
Any confirmed working WiFi dongles?

Well. I obtained one of these - still no network contact after flashing most recent RPI Volumio to it:-(
Tried connecting to both front and rear USB.
I may try an older Volumio - but not tonight…