Sorry in advance as this is unrelated to the original subject but nonetheless valuable into:
@Wheaten, how are you creating a backup of the Volumio SD card using Win32DiskImager ???
I too have been using Win32DiskImager but found nothing in either the QS Guide you linked, or in the imager software itself.
I moved your post as it may be valuable to other members.
Normally as start I take a small SD card, 8GB, (to avoid big backup files) and configure/Customize Volumio the way I prefer. (plugins/settings/library scan,…)
- Insert the SD-card to the PC that has Win32Diskmanager installed
- Open Win32Diskmanager
- 1 Select your SD-card (if multiple partitions, select the first)
- 2 Browse to the folder where you want to save the image
- 3 Give it a meaningful name and press open
- 4 Press read (you can opt to check “Read only Allocated Partitions” It will improve the backup speed, not the file size
- 5 Be patient … (takes about a minute per GB)
- The backup is finished. Now you can use this image to restore your fully configured installation, when things go sour.
- You can exit the application.
You can flash this image to any SD card of 8GB or bigger.
Added per @gkkpch response:
Volumio will expand the file system if needed.
Wheaten - tested above and, it works for me.
Thanks for the info and for taking the time to prepare the step-by-step documentation above, hope others will also be able to benefit from your handy tip !
This is very good advice. [regrets impulsive 128GB purchase]. 8GB is my preference.
Could you start with a “base setup” on an 8G, backup, restore that IMG to the 128G, then expand the partition ? Subsequent IMG backups will of course suffer same size issues. Backup plugin required for anything beyond the base setup …
Volumio 3 always checks whether there is freespace and expands until the end of the disk in case there is. So you do not have to expand manually.
You can also use pishrink to make any image more handy.