Flac albums, flac+cue not working?

Hello! Sorry, I couldn’t find a topic for this, so I opened it. I have a lot of albums in flac+cue format. So 1 big flac file, and the track information in the cuesheet file. These don’t seem to be handled by the latest Volumio3. If I were to play from such a folder, it would only play the 1 complete flac. Is it the same for others? Is there a solution, or could it be required to handle cuesheet+flac type albums as well?

Thank you, have a nice day!

(clicking on the tracks shown in the picture does not work, only the large flac track is played)

1 Like

I don’t know a way yo play individual tracks from a cue file. I use MediaHuman to split the cue files into separate tracks.

2 Likes

In principle, it should work, almost all current audio playback programs know it… why doesn’t Volumio? Anyway, it would be possible to cut it up, but my only problem is that I have more than 300 albums that are in this form. Is there any chance that Volumio can interpret the cuesheet files later?

1 Like

Odd - I have not had this issue. Actually quite the opposite.
A number of .cue albums I was using previously, for years, on Oppo’s in-house smartphone app, showed up as single large (undivided) files, are suddenly individual tracks I can play via Volumio.
Now, if I click on an individual .cue track, it will usually play the first track on the album, not the one I click; however, if I click the 3-bullet-icon to right of the track, then click “play”, it’s worked every time.

1 Like

I will try all options again, but I think the player just stops me trying. It won’t start music. Only the big flac file starts, which is the entire album.
I tried this at home this morning as well, with 4-5 albums. Volumio3 is the latest free version.

please mention the exact version, “the latest” is not helping.

1 Like

Which specific version / update is it?
I am running 3.512. I will take some screenshots of .cue files playback in ~24 hrs (IF I access my system tomorrow).

1 Like

My system is 3.569.

1 Like

The Mediahuman is a Windows software? Is tis working “batch” mode, or per album?
Thank you.

It’s a free tool for Windows or Mac. I’ve only tried converting one album folder at a time, so not sure if will do bulk splitting.

1 Like

I can’t vouch for your slightly later version, but several .cue files I tried played fine today in 3.512.
Files on 8TB Samsung SATA QVO SSD (via USB enclosure and hub) —> RPi 3b+ —> USB DS-DAC-10R (KORG).

1 Like

Unfortunately, not all albums work for me…I’m still looking for the reason. I already thought that the .cue file might be faulty too. Thanks!

AFAIK it’s never worked, at least since 2015 or earlier.

2 Likes

Some CUE files are still read normally, and they even play songs one by one, but navigation does not work normally. Half the album is played, you select the next track and it starts again from the first and only by switching immediately can you get to the desired one. Sometimes when selecting a song from the middle, Volumio freezes and you need to restart the entire player. This crap never worked properly.

1 Like

I use Foobar2000. You can drag several cue files into the window. Depending on the settings it converts to the source location of each cue file. I also use the highest FLAC quality setting.
I does also ISO to FLAC, DSF with a plugin (just google for it).
If there are errors, look at the path in the cue file, it is a simple text file.

1 Like

My flac+cue albums work perfectly in all other media players and music players. Here in Volimio, even if you start playing it, everything goes wrong when you seek, it jumps to the 1st track, it gets confused, etc. :frowning: this is starting to make me angry, because many of us have many music albums saved like this. Anyway, I don’t think it’s a big deal task, if 500 other types of player programs handle it flawlessly. And, as I read back, users at Volumio have been having problems with this for years. And they haven’t managed to do it for years? Not handling many complaints, ignoring users’ requests (not even special requests!) . This is not a good policy. If this basic thing were finally solved, maybe there would be many more Premium subscribers. But I would also be very interested in the answer of one of the internal programmers? What is difficult in solving this, please tell me? Listening is the not a problem but a positive feature… @volumio #volumio please help it, Thanks

My flac+cue music folders work in other playback programs, but not in Volumio. Even if it works, you can’t seek into the given track either, because it will immediately go crazy. I read on the web that many users have been complaining about this for years, not just me. Since it is a problem that has been around for many years, I would also like to finally find a solution. I don’t want to re-edit 300+ albums, which are otherwise perfect disc images…

Can you do a test with Foobaar2000? Drag the cue file into it and see if you can extract individual files.
I had cue files that had an incorrect path to the flac file. Modifying the cue file, it is a simple text file, solved the issue.
Also, consider extracting the individual files with Foobaar2000 permanently. You can drag multiple cue files into it and all will be extracted to its individual folders.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for the help, but I’m over these. Foobar, VLC, HIBYMUSIC, etc… I have already tested with many player programs. It works fine. (The error that sometimes occurs is that instead of .FLAC, for example, .WAV is written in the cuesheet file, I also correct those manually.) The biggest problem with Volumio3 is that even if it accepts .cue playback, you cannot access it from there, but literally… If you skip a track or start a longer track, it immediately goes crazy and starts playing the first track. This could be some basic programming error (I don’t understand that deeply), but the problem, as I read on the international web, has been around for several years. Users already wrote about it in the days of Volumio2. Therefore, I would be happy if one of the VOLUMIO DEVELOPERS would finally read this problem properly and fix it. (I also read in many places on the Internet that there are many people who do not buy or use the Volumio program because of this. I also have about 150 albums with such a cue+flac solution, and I can’t spend more hours looking through them and breaking them up , and I’ll double check them all…). Developer colleagues from VOLUMIO don’t usually go to this forum? I only want good things for them and for us users. With friendship, Zoltán

1 Like

I don’t really understand this… there is so much silence around the topic, as if I had written about some special wish or forbidden thing. It has been a problem for several years and has not caused any problems to other companies. I would help if I were a programmer, but I’m not :slight_smile: I like Volumio, but it’s quite difficult to use this way. And I want to understand why the developers do not fix this problem. Surely they would have more paying users…