External USB HDD DATA LOSS

My drive is wiped. I did nothing. I left home I came back after one month and everything is gone. Raspberry was running connected to WiFi. Using procedure described here in forum to check the drive found just one subdirectory with 7 albums.

What happend guys? This is very unplesant. It was 4 years of work, hundreds of hours editing and managing library. I have only 400GB backup of 1,2TB. What should I do?

Setup:

• Volumio 3.175
  • AlloBoss
  • External USB Maxtor 2TB, 1 partition NTFS

Volumio 3 Issues?

Please see: Volumio 3 issues: hints and solutions before posting a new issue.
(You’ll need to cut and paste the link)

----------------------------- Delete here & above before posting below -----------------

What you encountered is a problem that we found was occuring in some very rare circumstances: if the PI was not supplying enough current to the HDD, it will suddenly unmount it, and Volumio was clearing directories.

This issue has been solved on version 3.251, but unfortunately you were on a previous build (probably a beta? )

This issue is now solved so I suggest you to update immediately

Hi. Thank you for information. I it is nice that you know why this happend. There is something I do not understand as a programmer but it is nice that you know the reason.

Anyways. After long and hard trying I did not recover the files. And I really dont know what can I try. Recovery software found nothing on 3 discovered partitions.

Do you know exactly HOW “Volumio was clearing directories”? It could help me to find the solution.

First what I tried was Windows recovery feature (right click on drive) described in this forum. But this found only one directory which was really old, like 5 yeers.

Your looking on paratition level instead of file level.
But a drive that big is only supported in paid software and some don’t support file tree structure so look for the right one otherwise you will have a lot of work after recovery and some files will be corrupted.
And it will take a lot of time to do this.

Best regards,
Dvo

3 partitions? Was Volumio installed on this drive?

In any case, the files could have been deleted using rm command (folders) so they should be recoverable.

From my experience I suggest you to do this:

• Do not write ANYTHING on the USB until you recover something. So use a second HDD of the same size to recover the files to.
  • I suggest to study and use Photorec:
    PhotoRec - Wikipedia
  • It is slightly complex, but very powerful
  • Take your time and plan your strategy before starting. If you write something on the HDD you will loose data, so better be sure to be doing it properly.

If you need any suggestion, I’m here to help

Hi.

1. By 3 partitions I meant the copies or whatever I should call it, which are hold by NTFS. I am not familiar with NTFS in deep. There is only one partition in real on drive.
  2. I did not write anything to drive, of course.
  3. Volumio is installed on SD card. The drive with music was external 2TB USB drive with one NTFS partition.

I tried 4 recovery softwares. Guess what? I found everything! But a big big surprise! Content of ALL files was overwritten by 0! So I have everything and nothing. Nothing at all. Perfect!

I am not going to be rude. I do not know what to say.

Volumio did cleaning job perfectly!

1,2 TB of precious music. Years of collecting. And hundreds and hundreds of hours spent by adjusting tags, albums art and so on. Lost because of what?

I am a programmer. And I cannot imagine:

• why it is neccessary to clean any drive except the system one
  • if a drive has to be cleaned, why overwrite the content of files
  • how can the software touch non system drive

If I would make the software I would check at least double if I am cleaning what I really want to clean.

I suffered a big loss. I cannot trust Volumio anymore. I just wonder how to prevent such a situation in the future. Store files on SD card and lock it by physical switch?

this is known issue first setup your pi and then add your external drive,
and with updates remove the drive so you will not lose your content.

btw you will see 1 of the 3 parititions ( 1 is a fat paritition the other 2 are linux based ext3 ),
those you can see in linux

that an IT person never heard of making backups of critical data.

The fact that Volumio removed your data is a disaster, no question about it.
But not having backups is reckless.

With the 3 partitions I expect you’re using an old disk that was used to run Windows

• Boot Partition
  • Recovery Partition
  • Windows OS Partition.

The issue that the disk got cleared was solved with V3.251. As result of a power failure the disk got unmounted and left in an uncontrolled state. I do understand the frustration, but these errors are hard to find or debug as they happened very randomly.

Make sure you backup al important data and only use external powered drives. The rPi is not a power hub.

Yes, may be it is reckless.

I was using the same stup HW+Pi+Volumio for more than 2 years. And then it happend.

if you had read a lot on the forum you could know that it was happening sometimes
i was one of the first calling it out and that is already for years now.