Why Volumio cannot handle reboot even after all these years?

do you see any boot or just hangs at the begining?

win32diskimager burn it with this and see what it does.

Its Just hanging at begining. Ive burnt image via balena etcher…

After boot it can be on many days without any problem.

1 Like

Ive bought original PSU and it boot up after second try…no peripherals. Copy of volumio is almost fresh. Raspberry in aluminium case, max 55°C…

I experienced reboot failure after setup plus a few successful restarts. In all cases, Volumio/Pi was shutdown or restarted using the Volumio menu.

I tried several 16GB uSD cards from major manufacturers. The Volumio checksum was checked after download. I used dd on MacOS to transfer the image. (I’ve used that successfully dozens of times for other projects.)

Volumio version 3.198
Local Samba share, vers=2.1
WiFi on 2.4/5 net, band steered to 5Ghz
No Bluetooth
RPi 4 2GB, 1.5
Official Raspberry Pi Power Supply 5.1V 3A with USB C
Studio grade USB DAC

A Volumio 2 instance using RPi3B and I2C DAC continues to run in the same environment.

do you use the rpi 4 2gb 1.5 version ?

I will evaluate version 3.211. Thank you.

Using the RPi4, 1.5, Volumio 3.211 appears to boot reliably from both the “off” state and restarts. I tried it at least 15 times today.

I have Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1

After update its the same. It didnt even start after update restart.

Anybody know what can cause this problem? Still the same.

Please try using Raspberry Pi Imager.

1 Like

me too cannot restarts or shutdown from Volumio menu or SSH. Same if lack of voltage occurred.

strange thing that all function run well and audio quality is very good, no problem with DAC (recognized).
I use NAS Synology storage

burnt image via balenaEtcher and Rasp Pi Imager

SanDisk Extreme microSDHC da 32 GB
Volumio version Tryed: 3.251 - 3.233 - 3.208
LAN connection with cable RJ45
RPi 4 B 4GB
Power Supply USB-C 5.1V 3A
DAC HiFi Berry 2HD

Attached an image with error, I’m not sure can help

Same problem here, for many versions 2 and 3 (also the latest), and on both a Pi 3 and a Pi 4. I have had to reinstall Volumio so often that I now have this minimized workflow to get it up and running again: Flash using Rufus on Windows, boot, set fixed IP, install 2 plugins (Jellyfin and Youtube cast), and switch off all sources I don’t use to reduce the number of icons on the home screen. Then it runs for months without problems. Until I have to reboot. Then it won’t boot up again; can’t ping.

Besides this issue I am a very happy Volumio user :slight_smile:

I’m curious, are referring to a power failure causing file system corruption or a reboot command via the GUI?

I was referring to shutting down or rebooting via the GUI.

I’ve never had a problem. You should wait 5 to 10 min before logging in the for the first time to allow the file system to resize.

Have you tried rebooting without installing your plugins.

Yeah, 1st time login is no problem; it is getting the system back up again after rebooting that’s the problem.

There’s many things I can still try. Indeed testing a completely clean install with no plugins and changed settings is one. Trying a different flash tool may be another. Maybe a different SD card. I’ll do some more tests to see if I can pinpoint the issue.

I’ve not had this problem with my Volumio systems, but you do hear of similar issues from time to time and I have had SD cards stop corrupt with my other Pi systems where I needed to power cycle frequently. I guess it’s a fact of life that SD cards are less reliable than other storage media. A standard option SSD boot for Volumio would be useful.

I notice that sporadically on a reboot the volumio logo stays on for 5 minutes and eventually it continues to boot. this also happens sporadically with my other system.
also my audiophonics power module indicates by means of a led that it is rebooting.