Volumio Rivo first impressions

I really hope @volumio would provide some feedback about this lack of triggers design philosophy.

If Trigger is not available, is there at least some kind of “Auto-Off” timeout feature?

Not sure if Volumio is responsible for parts that a DAC manufacturer didn’t do?
IMOH the DAC manufacturer should take care if this part.

Yes of course Volumio is not responsible for other devices’ design but external DACs still need a device “upstream” like Volumio Streamer to tell them to turn on. That’s why a Trigger Out at least on Rivo would be really helpful.

@volumio vould you provide some insights? Thanks.

Thanks for bringing up this discussion.

When we designed Rivo (and all the other products) we did not consider the 12v trigger out, for one simple reason: it’s a very very niche requirement and nobody signaled its importance to us before.

I also think that what Wheaten and Vannesch mentioned is correct: most DACs nowadays power off (standby mode) when they are not used for a certain period of time. I would recommending checking on your DAC settings to see if there’s such a facility.

I don’t know the impact of having the display on all the time, but I have many DACs which are ON 24/7 that did not have any degradation issue whatsoever.

Sorry if I am being maybe too naive… But, if that matters to you, you could turn Rivo OFF and ON if that matters to you.

That being said, if more people come up with this request, we can consider adding it to the next line of products.

2 Likes

Hi, i m using volumio with a Allo usbridge SIG and a audio GD D77 dac to a audio GD nfb1 AMP to a audiophonics lpa 400 Purifi power amp and triangle speakers… I m wondering if with a rivo i will increase the sound quality . Better than with the allo usbridge SIG ?

@VolumiFan Regarding the trigger out: My point of view is completely different. I have bought the Rivo because I was looking for a high quality digital source for my digital active Speaker system. I wanted the best audio performance without as we say in german “Schnickschnack”. I think the Rivo is such a good digital source because the design and software are focused on sound quality, any extra would disturb. If I am going to listen to music I have to switch on 4 Amps and the Rivo and thats some sort of Ritual. In the Living Room where music is most of the time background noise I am using a NAD M33 Integrated Steaming Amp so a simply on off. So if you need a streamer with trigger out/in the Rivo is not the right one for you. Maybe a Mini DSP with volumio and trigger out is better for you.
@henri.falco0985
I can’t answer that, but I can tell you that by my expereance the Rivo is one of the best digital sources on the market. I have listen to diffrent set ups and in some cases I was totaly surprised that a digital source can make such a diffrent. So maybe you should try.
Cheers
Christian

1 Like

That makes us really proud. Thanks for sharing your experience with Rivo :wink:

Ok thank you. I will see. Volumio sound great on my set up and the allo usbridge SIG run very well with volumio. The Allo usbridge sig have a very clean USB output for the dac. I use it with a USB hardrive and the Shanti clean power. Volumio IS the best OS for music for me. And i love the sound with it.

1 Like

I don’t like to comment on other’s design, so I am giving you some factual specs of how Rivo handles USB plus some other factors that you might want to keep into consideration to eventually switch.

The RIVO the USB-DAC port:

• USB is taken from VIM3L USB out, which IMHO is superior to the one of CM3 (no need for custom drivers, no chance of packet loss on high bandwith transfers)
  • The 5V output is heavily filtered, with a series of LC blocks (we have ~4600uF in total on the 5V power rail). Each LC block has electrolytic capacitors and low-value ceramic capacitors, for filtering the high-frequency noise.
  • For the USB signals, we use a USB hub from Microchip (with its own low-noise power supply and GND plane). This IC has proprietary technology to buffer and reconstruct the signals from the host (VIM3L), for recovering signal integrity.
  • The clock input for the USB hub is from a high-precision active clock (with its own low-noise power supply and GND plane). The USB port itself has its own dedicated GND plane.

On a more general level:

• With Rivo you get a generally better SW\HW integration than a generic Volumio build
  • You get all Premium features included for the device, for life at no extra cost
  • The software is constantly mantained
  • You have direct dedicated support from us

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Ok thank you for this précisions. With the allo usbridge SIG and volumio i have just a problem when i m streaming qobuz. At the beginning and at the end of songs there are some glitches and noises and more when i stream HD flacs… Only when i stream qobuz… IS there an issue ? With the Rivo Can i stream qobuz without these problems even HD flacs ?

These are symptoms of USB packet loss (when high bandwith is required both on USB and network, there are packet loss which are heard as crackles or glitches).
If that’s the case (I’m 90% sure of this, but can’t confirm without actually examining the device) then Rivo is immune, since it’s USB and networking stack are way better than PI CM3.

1 Like

Ok i see. But I Don t have these problems if i stream from my windows PC with jriver or audirvana with UPnP to the allo usbridge SIG running with another OS (gentooplayer) on the Allo usbridge SIG. But i prefer the convenience with volumio and prefer the sound with local files from my hardrive attached to the Allo with volumio… So i’m thinking seriously to buy a Rivo.

The Allo usbridge SIG IS not a simple RPI 3.
It will be very interesting to comparate the Rivo with this streamer.
The Allo USBridge Signature Player is based on a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ SBC (Single Board Computer), offering this system great versatility. The Volumio operating system is pre-installed, and will allow you to easily access your entire audio library on a network or locally (USB storage).

The purpose of this module is to reduce noise on the USB bus as much as possible in order to provide the purest, most accurate and richest sound reproduction possible. For this purpose, the USBridge Signature includes an excellent USB control chip from TI and the Ethernet circuit is completely separate from the USB circuit, thus limiting interference. In addition, noise has been reduced on each power rail through the use of more than 30 LDO controllers. Even the power rail of the Micro SD port has its own LDO. Thus, the module does not include any switching elements that can generate noise.

As the USBridge Signature is based on a Pi Compute, Allo has chosen to integrate all the available connectivity on a standard Raspberry Pi, namely a GPIO port, USB-A, HDMI and a Micro SD slot. Therefore, anything that works with a Raspberry Pi will work with the USBridge Signature.

Try to update the ethernet drivers, it should solve this issue
In ssh:

sudo cd /usr/src

sudo sudo wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/USBridgeSig/install.sh

sudo sh install.sh

1 Like

Hi, thank you. I Will try this.

1 Like

Guys, let’s keep this topic clean. Asking about Rivo and Allo USBridgeSig is perfectly fine, but please don’t turn this into an Allo USBridgeSig help thread. There are better places in this forum to do that and other Allo users, who don’t read here, may also profit from that.

2 Likes

Um ehrlich zu sein, genau deshalb habe ich meinen Primo noch nicht gegen den Rivo eingetauscht. Ich würde auf jeden Fall den oberen Teil des Gehäuses zum schwarz pulverbeschichten geben. Kann ich den Schalter herausholen, um auch die Vorderseite zu pulvern?

[google translate]
To be honest, that’s exactly why I haven’t swapped my Primo for the Rivo yet. I would definitely give the upper part of the case to be powder coated black. Can I get the switch out to powder the front as well?

1 Like

Little bug on the Rivo: With the latest update I can’t reach the “system” screen anymore? All other selections are availabel.
How can I fix this?
Cheers
Christian

Surprise now it’s working again.
I have no idea why, I have simply listen to music and it cures itself.
Have a nice sundy afternoon…

2 Likes