Volumio Rivo first impressions

I think the remark “not rely on” was simply meant as a confirmation that you’re entitled to premium support.
Since this a very specific issue, the people from Volumio can help you and find a solution.

Like Wheaten says - for a hardware issue on a product constructed by Volumio where premium support is available it’s better to connect with their support directly via a service ticket and not rely on that someone from Volumio should read your post about the issue.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I’ll definitely not rely on anyone from the forum or Volumio to read my post about the issue in future.
I raised a support ticket yesterday, I’m sure the good folks at Volumio are sorting out the problem/s

I guess I won’t rely on Volumio either as I haven’t heard from them after raising a support ticket and messaging them.
It’s so common for manufacturers with great products to slip up in terms of after sales support.

It’s still sounding very nice with via AES/EBU though.

Remember that there has been a long weekend including Whit Monday holiday in many European countries.

@DED and his @volumio colleagues will be back in the office today (Tuesday)

Fair call, I’m on the other side of the planet in New Zealand so I’m unaware of European holidays :+1:.

We’re all entitled to a day off every now and then :smile:

@Marco_Melziade @DED

Dear Witchdoctorgaz,
Thank you for your message and feedback. I wanted to let you know that I sent you an email yesterday addressing your specific issue.
I’m glad to hear that your system is still sounding great via AES/EBU. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Best regards,
Marco

Thanks Marco,

It’s working well via another USB input and sounding terrific :+1:.

Cheers!

Gary

2 Likes

In my system the Rivo sounds considerably better with digital XLR compared to USB.

Today I finally decided to load my 64gb microsd card into the Rivo with music just to hear if there is any improvement in sound compared to my other three sources - QNAP NAS via Audioquest ethernet cable, Qobuz streaming and Samsung SSD via Audioquest USB cable. Playing the same piece of music, my sound preference is as follow: microsd card first, Qobuz second, SSD a very close third and NAS, a distant fourth. There is more clarity, better separation and more engagement with the sd card. The improvement is so obvious I have now decided to move all the music from the NAS and the SSD to a larger capacity sd card.

I believe the sd card is the way to go. No interferences from cable structure, electrical wiring and mechanical noise. Well done Volumio!

Would this be dependent on the DAC as some are optimised for USB playback while others are not? I guess there is also the question of the quality of the connecting cables - USB versus AES/EBU. What DAC are you currently using?

1 Like

Audio Analogue AADac

I bought a Shunyata AES XLR cable recently and all sounds so good.