Volumio Rivo first impressions

Will probably try that in future, my hifi is in a stereo cabinet, so a work out to get to change cables :joy:

My dealer told me turning off wifi, hotspot and bluetooth once connected over LAN is best practice. He also told me to always have a metal cased enterprise version switch (not audiophile necessarily) between the router and a streamer, and never connect a streamer to a consumer grade router or mesh unit with LAN. I followed his advice and fed the switch from a Rivo USB which in turn is fed by Sbooster. I’m not sure if I can hear a difference, but it just pushed my logic buttons and is not expensive going this route.

1 Like

I will go to a LAN connection later, I will also use a switch before the Rivo, the power supply will be changed to a better one and maybe will try the ifi LAN purifier, can not remember its name right now.
I am very happy with the sound quality of the Rivo, the sound is clearer and more detailed without being too clinical, I am using it with Roon and it seems to work well.

1 Like

Hi Cenk,

I have attached an article from “my dealer”. In short, “long, standard cable sounds worse than WiFi, short audiophile cable sounds better than WiFi.” If I connect a standard LAN cable - 15m from the Fritzbox to the Primo - as a bridge to the Lyngdorf 1120, it doesn’t sound better, rather worse than perfect WiFi with approx 50dBm

1 Like

I’ll read it. Thank you.

The dealers seem to have 2 versions of the Rivo, one with external WiFi antennas, one without. The one without seems to be a newer version. Have you made any other changes? Since I have to run it via WiFi, I guess it has better reception with external antennas. Correct?

Moving external antennas to internal ones is mostly a cosmetic change, the performance is very good in both cases

2 Likes

Interesting read. But I still think implementation and equipment combo is prime. ie Rivo does not play well with my Technics USB input, forcing me reselect USB and restart player every 8-10 tracks. Than it doesn’t matter if USB sounds best. I think what everybody can agree on is keeping noise out of the signal as much as possible. This can be going optical for some, minimise processor use (USB chip, Flac to WAV conversion etc) in the device for others.

One other aspect is also player software. To my ears with Rivo UPNP, Tidal connect and RAAT sound best in respected order. From a convenience point hence Tidal connect is the sweet spot for me.
There is no one fit formula.

Of course this is annoying, no matter how good it sounds. Good power supply and cables, as well as correct installation are definitely important. I recently tested a Supra power cable on the Primo’s sBooster as a bridge on the Lyngdorf. I was hoping for something from the good shielding of the Supra cables. The result was amazing. The space became narrower and less deep and the fine resolution worse. Back on the WSS GoldLine power cable, all was right again. Unfortunately, the result may be different in another chain, but there are at least some indications, because the result was similar at Lyngdorf.

[image]

Hello,
I just bricked my Rivo after the update. The reset web page is offline. Anybody else experiencing the same? thank you.

@DED Can you please help @CENK_ISIL (as our customer you can request direct 1:1 support)

Hello!

Here Davide from Volumio tech support

A support email has just been sent to your address, please follow up on that for further help

Thank you!
Best
DAVIDE
VOLUMIO TECH SUPPORT

Hello, apologies I didn’t contact support first. got mail. thank you

1 Like

I have been running the Rivo for over two weeks now and I am very please with the SQ after having owned a Project Stream Box S2 Ultra for nearly two years. The Rivo is connected to a Ifi iPower X, streaming via ethernet to a Cisco 2969 switch using Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cables and finally using a DIY USB cable from the Rivo to my SPL Diamond DAC. Sounds significantly better than my Project in the areas of sound staging (3D), dynamic range (quieter background perhaps) and well saturated tonal colours. The Project is good but Rivo is much better. I plan to upgrade the power supply to an Ifi iPower Elite because of what the iPower X has brought to the table thus far.

On another note, I did encounter the following issue at the start. It did not allow me to connect to Qobuzz. To connect I had to subscribe to Premium so I sent a support mail to Rivo. Just immediately after sending the mail, I decided to perform a factory reset using the ‘factory_reset’ file. As a result of the reset I was able to connect to Qobuzz. I updated the s/w to the Jan 2024 version and it is now running flawlessly. Still when I want to add plugins, it requires me to subscribe to Premium, which is rather odd but not complaining as I probably have 80% of the Premium features. There is no Spotify connect but I don’t do Spotify. The other thing I have discovered is that the more powerful your device that is use to run your Volumio App, the quicker the response time in loading and reloading the app. I found this out when I compared the iPhone 14 to an old iPad Mini usage of the app. By the way, I have also done an AB comparison of the Project Stream Box and a Lumin U1 Mini with modified power supply and they sounded almost identical. For me it was a side way move in terms of SQ. So well done Volumio for exceeding the standard expected of this price.

2 Likes

it’s not required a premium account, just a free my-volumio account is enough

“I plan to upgrade the power supply to an Ifi iPower Elite because of what the iPower X has brought to the table thus far.”

Report back SQ difference when Elite is up and running!

I have now run the Rivo with the Ifi Elite Power supply for about a week. I have sold my Ifi Power X before I bought the Elite so my comparison of the two is based on memory based on some obvious differences, First the Elite versus the supplied power supply. Obvious improvements are:

• Louder (or quieter background) at the same volume
  • Significantly clearer, like a veil has been lifted
  • Clearer leading edges, voices and instruments
  • More natural and real sounding musical instruments and voices - acoustic guitar sounds real, voices have texture
  • Better differentiation of dynamic range
  • A general calmness in musical flow
  • Better instruments and voice separation
  • More obvious micro details
  • Better soundstage focus

When compared to the IPower X, these obvious difference came to mind:

• Overall smoother, calmer and slightly more refine sounding than IPower X
  • Definitely better defined (tuneful) bass
  • Top-end slightly more refine with clearer and cleaner bells and cymbals.
  • Midrange ever slightly better with separation of instrument and voices.

My system consist of an Audia Flight FLS9 Int. amp, SPL Diamond DAC and Dynaudio C1 Platinum. I use the preamp on the DAC and run XLR into the Direct input of my amp. Your system may or may not capture these differences but keen to hear from anyone who has a direct experience with the Ifi Elite on their Rivo or Primo.

1 Like

Since this morning my Rivo’s LED at the center of the front button blinks green. Volumio App does not find it. There is not microSD card visible from the outside.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

EDIT: I was able to perform a factory as described here. All is well again.

1 Like

Just out of interest, which wifi standard has the Rivo adopted for its 5Ghz band? Is it N, AC or AX?

Cheers.

Thim