Volumio playing qobuz 44.1 kHz 24bit but not 96kHz 24bit - RESOLVED!

Volumio 3 Issues?

Tracks from Qobuz play at 44.1 and 48 kHz 24bit but tracks at 96 kHz and higher which appear to stream but there is no sound output. Have tried various settings but without success. Help appreciated.

Please provide an overview of your hardware, seems more related to your DAC or misaligned settings.

Running Volumio 3.631 on a Rpi3 via an Allo Digione DAC using Qobuz

An the Digione is connected to?

Running the same on a rpir4, with Allo Digione.
Connected to a Topping E50 or NAD D3045. Both stream Qobuz > 48Khz

Output from Allo Digione via the RCA connector and coax to an Edifier R1850DB multimedia speaker.

From the DAC spec - Allo Digione is a high-quality S/PDIF output board for the Raspberry Pi. The S/PDIF
interface chip supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution with dual low-jitter oscillators.
Sampling rate: 32 kHz to 192 kHz sampling freq. Data bit length: 16 to 24-bit.

I have a Qobuz Studio subscription. Studio quality streaming (FLAC 24-Bit up to 192 kHz)

Qobuz music tracks streaming at 44.1 and 48 kHz stream without any problems.

Many thanks Wheaten

Did you look at the specs of the Edifier?
The edifier can’t deal with frequencies > 48KHz, so there is no sound.’

Wheaten

Yes… unfortunately I eventually found this comment in the manual! However, you beat me to it! I never considered the Edifier could have any bearing on this issue

So, either I upgrade my hifi gear or downgrade my Qobuz subscription or change my streaming service.

Many thanks for your valuable assistance in resolving this issue. Especially your extremely prompt responses.

Willie

I would keep the Allo and add a DAC like the Topping D10, E30II or E50. You can connect the COAX output from the Allo to it and connect the DAC to the Analog RCA input of the Edifier. This way the investment is small, and you don’t loose the Allo

I’m already using a Topping E30 DAC to a Topping L30 headphone amp on a USB input from my PC (running Linux Mint) then feeding RCA COAX from the L30 to the Edifier Analog RCA input.

I’m also using upgraded quality power supplies for the E30 L30 and RPi3/Allo Digione units.

However, I would prefer the RPI3/Allo Digione running Volumio to be standalone.

I’ll have to give this some thought … perhaps it’s an excuse to do something really exciting in terms of new equipment!

Perhaps I should try streaming Qobuz from the PC web browser via the E30/L30 to the Edifier COAX Analog input to find out if this would allow streaming from Qobuz at greater than 48KHz?

Wheaten, once again many thanks.

I’ve set the SOURCES sound quality to FLAC lossless and all tracks play correctly but at 44.1KHz 16bit. Previously I had it set to HIGHEST QUALITY so nothing above 48KHz played!

Thanks