Volumio on Zero to display on Sony Bravia

Hi,
I would like to have the volumio UI to be projected to the my Sony Bravia TV via hdmi connection to the Zero that runs volumio. I do understand that volumio basically is a headless system, but read that it is still possible to have it projected to a moninor.
Following guides, i have downloaded touch display plugin, but i have is login prompt on the screen. Played a bit around the config.txt file hdmi settings, but no luck. Any idea?
thank you

Did you enable the plugin? Did you see any error messages when enabling the pugin and if so, what did they say?

Could you post the content of your /boot/config.txt and /boot/userconfig.txt, please:

cat /boot/config.txt

cat /boot/userconfig.txt

Config.txt
initramfs volumio.initrd
gpu_mem=32
max_usb_current=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

include userconfig.txt

Volumio i2s setting below: do not alter

dtoverlay=justboom-dac

Userconfig.txt

Add your custom config.txt options to this file, which will be preserved during updates

Plugin is turn on and active

Then please show the result of
systemctl status -l volumio-kiosk

● volumio-kiosk.service - Volumio Kiosk
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/volumio-kiosk.service; disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-01-15 08:45:37 UTC; 11min ago

I am afraid the Raspberry Pi Zero is not powerful enough to run the Display plugin, even if you will be able to have it ip and running, it will be too slow to be used

Is that the complete output? I would expect some more lines :wink:

Good advice!

thanks a lot for this help.
Main PID: 1036 (startx)
CGroup: /system.slice/volumio-kiosk.service
├─1036 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /opt/volumiokiosk.sh – -nocursor
├─1057 xinit /etc/X11/Xsession /opt/volumiokiosk.sh – /usr/bin/X :0 -nocursor -auth /tmp/serverauth.EVhC7NxVnt
├─1058 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 -nocursor -auth /tmp/serverauth.EVhC7NxV nt
├─1073 /bin/bash /opt/volumiokiosk.sh
├─1115 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /opt/volumiokiosk.sh
├─1135 /usr/bin/openbox --startup /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/openbo x-autostart OPENBOX
├─1136 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --enable-pinch --si mulate-outdated-no-au=Tue, 31 Dec 2099 23:59:59 GMT --disable-pinch --kiosk --no -first-run --noerrdialogs --disable-3d-apis --disable-breakpad --disable-crash-r eporter --disable-infobars --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-translate --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk http://localhost:3000
├─1177 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=zygote --noe rrdialogs --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk
├─1183 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
├─1190 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=zygote --noe rrdialogs --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk
├─1196 /bin/sh /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
├─1197 /usr/bin/xprop -root -spy
├─1225 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=gpu-process --enable-features=AutofillCreditCardSigninPromo<AutofillCreditCardSigninPromo,Au tofillProfileCleanup<AutofillProfileCleanup,DocumentWriteEvaluator<DisallowFetch ForDocWrittenScriptsInMainFrame,ExpectCTReporting<ExpectCTReporting,IncidentRepo rtingDisableUpload<SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingService,IncidentReportingModuleL oadAnalysis<SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingServiceFeatures,IncidentReportingSuspic iousModuleReporting<SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingServiceFeatures,MaterialDesignU serManager<MaterialDesignUserManager,NegotiateTLS13<TLS13Negotiation,NetworkTime ServiceQuerying<NetworkTimeQueries,NewAudioRenderingMixingStrategy<NewAudioRende ringMixingStrategy,NonValidatingReloadOnNormalReload<NonValidatingReloadOnNormal Reload,ParseHTMLOnMainThread<ParseHTMLOnMainThread,PassiveDocumentEventListeners <PassiveDocumentEventListeners,PassiveEventListenersDueToFling<PassiveEventListe nersDueToFling,PersistentHistograms<PersistentHistograms,PointerEvent<PointerEve nt,PreconnectMore<PreconnectMore,PreferHtmlOverPlugins<PreferHtmlOverPlugins,Pri ntScaling<PrintScaling,PrioritySupportedRequestsDelayable<NetDelayableH2 seInput <RafAlignedMouseInput,RafAlignedTouchInput<RafAlignedTouchInput,SecurityChip<Sec urityChip,SecurityWarningIconUpdate<SecurityWarningIconUpdate,SpeculativeLaunchS erviceWorker<SpeculativeLaunchServiceWorker,TranslateRankerEnforcement<Translate Ranker,UsePasswordSeparatedSigninFlow<PasswordSeparatedSigninFlow,WebRTC-EnableW ebRtcEcdsa<WebRTC-EnableWebRtcEcdsa,WebRTC-H264WithOpenH264FFmpeg<WebRTC-H264Wit hOpenH264FFmpeg,token-binding<TokenBinding,use-new-media-cache<use-new-media-cac he --force-fieldtrials=AsyncDNS/AsyncDNSA/AutofillClassifier/Enabled/AutofillCre ditCardSigninPromo/EnabledFive/AutofillFieldMetadata/Enabled/AutofillProfileClea nup/Enabled/AutofillProfileOrderByFrecency/EnabledLimitTo3/*BrowserScheduler/Def ault/CSSExternalScanner/Enabled_ScanAndPreload/CaptivePortalInterstitial/Enabled /ChromeDashboard/Enabled/ChromotingQUIC/Enabled/DataReductionProxyUseQuic/Enable d/DisallowFetchForDocWrittenScriptsInMainFrame/DocumentWriteEvaluatorGroup/Enabl eGoogleCachedCopyTextExperiment/Button/EnableMediaRouter/Enabled/EnableMediaRout erWithCastExtension/Enabled/EnableSessionCrashedBubbleUI/Enabled/ExpectCTReporti ng/ExpectCTReportingEnabled/ExtensionActionRedesign/Enabled/GoogleBrandedContext Menu/branded/InstanceID/Enabled/MaterialDesignDownloads/Enabled/MaterialDesignUs erManager/Enabled/MojoChannel/Enabled/NetDelayableH2AndQuicRequests/Enabled/Netw orkTimeQueries/NetworkTimeQueriesEnabled/NewAudioRenderingMixingStrategy/Enabled /NonValidatingReloadOnNormalReload/Enabled/OfferUploadCreditCards/Enabled/OutOfP rocessPac/Enabled/PageRevisitInstrumentation/Enabled/ParseHTMLOnMainThread/Enabl ed/PassiveDocumentEventListeners/Enabled/PassiveEventListenersDueToFling/Enabled /PasswordBranding/SmartLockBrandingSavePromptOnly/PasswordManagerSettingsMigrati on/Enable/PasswordSeparatedSigninFlow/Enabled/PasswordSmartBubble/3-Times/*Persi stentHistograms/EnabledInMemory/PointerEvent/Enabled/PreconnectMore/Enabled/Pref erHtmlOverPlugins/Enabled/PrintScaling/Enabled/*QUIC/Enabled/RafAlignedMouseInpu t/Enabled/RafAlignedTouchInput/Enabled/RefreshTokenDeviceId/Enabled/ReportCertif icateErrors/ShowAndPossiblySend/SSLCommonNameMismatchHandling/Enabled/*SafeBrows ingIncidentReportingService/Enabled/SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingServiceFeatures /WithSuspiciousModuleReporting/SafeBrowsingReportPhishingErrorLink/Enabled/SafeB rowsingUpdateFrequency/UpdateTime15m/SafeBrowsingV4LocalDatabaseManagerEnabled/E nabled/SaveAsMenuText/download/SchedulerExpensiveTaskBlocking/Enabled/SdchPersis tence/Enabled/SecurityChip/Enabled/SecurityWarningIconUpdate/Enabled/SignInPassw ordPromo/Enable3/SimpleCacheTrial/ExperimentYes/SiteEngagement/AggressiveAccumul ation/SpeculativeLaunchServiceWorker/Enabled/StrictSecureCookies/Enabled/SyncHtt pContentCompression/Enabled/TLS13Negotiation/Enabled/TabSyncByRecency/Enabled/ TokenBinding/TokenBinding/TranslateRanker/EnforcementEnabled/V8CacheStrategiesFo rCacheStorage/default/WebBluetoothBlocklist/TestGroup/WebFontsInterventionV2/Ena bled-slow2g/WebRTC-EnableWebRtcEcdsa/Enabled/WebRTC-H264WithOpenH264FFmpeg/Enabl ed/WebRTC-LocalIPPermissionCheck/Enabled/use-new-media-cache/Enabled/ --disable- breakpad --noerrdialogs --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk --supports-dual-gpus= false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=7,23,71 --gpu-vendor-id=0x0000 --gpu-device-i d=0x0000 --gpu-driver-vendor --gpu-driver-version --gpu-driver-date --noerrdialo gs --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk --service-request-channel-token=5DCEBD8F79 89176C72864A9475661417 --v8-natives-passed-by-fd --v8-snapshot-passed-by-fd
├─1234 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=renderer --d isable-3d-apis --disable-breakpad --disable-pinch --enable-pinch --enable-featur es=AutofillCreditCardSigninPromo<AutofillCreditCardSigninPromo,AutofillProfileCl eanup<AutofillProfileCleanup,DocumentWriteEvaluator<DisallowFetchForDocWrittenSc riptsInMainFrame,ExpectCTReporting<ExpectCTReporting,IncidentReportingDisableUpl oad<SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingService,IncidentReportingModuleLoadAnalysis<Saf eBrowsingIncidentReportingServiceFeatures,IncidentReportingSuspiciousModuleRepor ting<SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingServiceFeatures,MaterialDesignUserManager<Mate rialDesignUserManager,NegotiateTLS13<TLS13Negotiation,NetworkTimeServiceQueryi
└─1303 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=gpu-broker seInput <RafAlignedMouseInput,RafAlignedTouchInput<RafAlignedTouchInput,SecurityChip<Sec urityChip,SecurityWarningIconUpdate<SecurityWarningIconUpdate,SpeculativeLaunchS erviceWorker<SpeculativeLaunchServiceWorker,TranslateRankerEnforcement<Translate Ranker,UsePasswordSeparatedSigninFlow<PasswordSeparatedSigninFlow,WebRTC-EnableW ebRtcEcdsa<WebRTC-EnableWebRtcEcdsa,WebRTC-H264WithOpenH264FFmpeg<WebRTC-H264Wit hOpenH264FFmpeg,token-binding<TokenBinding,use-new-media-cache<use-new-media-cac he --force-fieldtrials=AsyncDNS/AsyncDNSA/AutofillClassifier/Enabled/AutofillCre ditCardSigninPromo/EnabledFive/AutofillFieldMetadata/Enabled/AutofillProfileClea nup/Enabled/AutofillProfileOrderByFrecency/EnabledLimitTo3/*BrowserScheduler/Def ault/CSSExternalScanner/Enabled_ScanAndPreload/CaptivePortalInterstitial/Enabled /ChromeDashboard/Enabled/ChromotingQUIC/Enabled/DataReductionProxyUseQuic/Enable d/DisallowFetchForDocWrittenScriptsInMainFrame/DocumentWriteEvaluatorGroup/Enabl eGoogleCachedCopyTextExperiment/Button/EnableMediaRouter/Enabled/EnableMediaRout erWithCastExtension/Enabled/EnableSessionCrashedBubbleUI/Enabled/ExpectCTReporti ng/ExpectCTReportingEnabled/ExtensionActionRedesign/Enabled/GoogleBrandedContext Menu/branded/InstanceID/Enabled/MaterialDesignDownloads/Enabled/MaterialDesignUs erManager/Enabled/MojoChannel/Enabled/NetDelayableH2AndQuicRequests/Enabled/Netw orkTimeQueries/NetworkTimeQueriesEnabled/NewAudioRenderingMixingStrategy/Enabled /NonValidatingReloadOnNormalReload/Enabled/OfferUploadCreditCards/Enabled/OutOfP rocessPac/Enabled/PageRevisitInstrumentation/Enabled/ParseHTMLOnMainThread/Enabl ed/PassiveDocumentEventListeners/Enabled/PassiveEventListenersDueToFling/Enabled /PasswordBranding/SmartLockBrandingSavePromptOnly/PasswordManagerSettingsMigrati on/Enable/PasswordSeparatedSigninFlow/Enabled/PasswordSmartBubble/3-Times/*Persi stentHistograms/EnabledInMemory/PointerEvent/Enabled/PreconnectMore/Enabled/Pref erHtmlOverPlugins/Enabled/PrintScaling/Enabled/*QUIC/Enabled/RafAlignedMouseInpu t/Enabled/RafAlignedTouchInput/Enabled/RefreshTokenDeviceId/Enabled/ReportCertif icateErrors/ShowAndPossiblySend/SSLCommonNameMismatchHandling/Enabled/*SafeBrows ingIncidentReportingService/Enabled/SafeBrowsingIncidentReportingServiceFeatures /WithSuspiciousModuleReporting/SafeBrowsingReportPhishingErrorLink/Enabled/SafeB rowsingUpdateFrequency/UpdateTime15m/SafeBrowsingV4LocalDatabaseManagerEnabled/E nabled/SaveAsMenuText/download/SchedulerExpensiveTaskBlocking/Enabled/SdchPersis tence/Enabled/SecurityChip/Enabled/SecurityWarningIconUpdate/Enabled/SignInPassw ordPromo/Enable3/SimpleCacheTrial/ExperimentYes/SiteEngagement/AggressiveAccumul ation/SpeculativeLaunchServiceWorker/Enabled/StrictSecureCookies/Enabled/SyncHtt pContentCompression/Enabled/TLS13Negotiation/Enabled/TabSyncByRecency/Enabled/ TokenBinding/TokenBinding/TranslateRanker/EnforcementEnabled/V8CacheStrategiesFo rCacheStorage/default/WebBluetoothBlocklist/TestGroup/WebFontsInterventionV2/Ena bled-slow2g/WebRTC-EnableWebRtcEcdsa/Enabled/WebRTC-H264WithOpenH264FFmpeg/Enabl ed/WebRTC-LocalIPPermissionCheck/Enabled/use-new-media-cache/Enabled/ --disable- breakpad --noerrdialogs --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk --supports-dual-gpus= false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=7,23,71 --gpu-vendor-id=0x0000 --gpu-device-i d=0x0000 --gpu-driver-vendor --gpu-driver-version --gpu-driver-date --noerrdialo gs --user-data-dir=/data/volumiokiosk --service-request-channel-token=5DCEBD8F79 89176C72864A9475661417 --v8-natives-passed-by-fd --v8-snapshot-passed-by-fd

Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: Markers: (–) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: (++) from command line, (!!) not ice, (II) informational,
Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) n ot implemented, (??) unknown.
Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: (==) Log file: “/var/log/Xorg.0. log”, Time: Fri Jan 15 08:45:39 2021
Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: (==) Using config directory: “/e tc/X11/xorg.conf.d”
Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: (==) Using system config directo ry “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d”
Jan 15 08:45:39 volumiolivingroom startx[1036]: modprobe: FATAL: Module g2d_23 n ot found.
Jan 15 08:45:56 volumiolivingroom pulseaudio[1183]: Unable to contact D-Bus: org .freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnorm ally without any error message
Jan 15 08:45:56 volumiolivingroom pulseaudio[1183]: Unable to contact D-Bus: org .freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnorm ally without any error message
Jan 15 08:45:56 volumiolivingroom pulseaudio[1183]: org.bluez.Manager.GetPropert ies() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method “GetProperties” w ith signature “” on interface “org.bluez.Manager” doesn’t exist

the zero is power supplied via justboom amp phat

Darmur did not refer to the power supply but the capability of the Pi Zero.

Could check if chromium browser is running?

ps aux | grep chromium

ok i see, does it mean that connection to any display is not possible? I was just going to order a small touch screen from waveshare.

Yes, because you would need to run the Touch Display plugin as well.

just that i understand it right: the problem is caused by the Touch Display plugin since it has a too high demand from the system. But overall the zero is able to be projected to any display.

Yes, a web browser running on the Pi is required to display Volumio’s UI on a display connected to the Pi. Running the browser could easily overburden a Pi Zero I think. Maybe just wait long(er) after enabling the plugin if the UI appears.

Also could you check if chromium browser is running?

ps aux | grep chromium

I think You are really right. After reinstalling the Touch Display plugin it surely work, for moments display shows up on the screen than it is gone. And above all, starting the machine is also very slow. So it is a zero capacity issue.
Thanks for the help!

The reason for this plan was to see the playlists of those internet radio stations i listen to. When temporarly the display was ok, those playlists were anyway hard to see.

When display starts it is normal that the UI appears for a moment and then disappears. But after that it should reappear and stay…

To achieve an appropriate performance I would choose a Pi3. But of course the readability issue you mentioned wouldn’t change.

thanks again for considering my issue. Helped a lot not to get mad…