Volumio on RPi was all working, but then

3rd Update: I could not resist and tried the supplied cable immediately. It freakin’ works! Once I find a longer cable (this’ll take three minutes), I’ll be in heaven. The final frontier is aesthetic: A) Find a path for the thin HDMI cable to exit the Okto cleanly, which will probably require modding it. B) Sourcing an adjustable case or stand that won’t short the rear of the display.

2nd Update: OMG the screen works! I can see now playing and all the controls that show up on the app & web interface. This is what I wanted! I need to get touch working yet. The display came with a ~6" cable but I have it set up a few feet away so I subbed in a micro USB cable I had laying around. For all I know that only supports charging & no data. I’ll try a better cable later. But the fact that I can see what’s playing, etc. with other devices off will make it much closer to my vinyl listening experience. This software is incredible!

Update: When I had more time, I re-installed the image to the microSD card which if I’m honest I did not wait to see if it had finished correctly earlier. Then I waited and waited for the Pi to boot and Volumio to be responsive. This took probably 25 minutes. Now I’ve re-configured my library and all my plugins, so I’m about back to where I started. Phew! I’m not sure if I can get the screen to work, but will be sure to go more slowly from here on out.

Hi, I had an install of Volumio running on an RPi 4B internally on my Okto Research dac8 Stereo. All was working great, allowing me to play online streaming services along side files from my NAS including DSD native. Yay! Well, I couldn’t leave good enough alone, and bought an aftermarket 7" touch screen. As well as the Volumio app & web versions integrate, I want to be able to control playback without connecting via my phone, tablet or PC. At least transport controls would be helpful.

Reading the install instructions for the display, I went back to the RPi installer and rebuilt the microSD / TF card, not realizing I could simply modify userconfig.txt. Now the RPi boots with green LEDs but then seems to shut right down, leaving only the red (I assume power) LED lit. The Volumio app can’t find the server. I don’t think I killed the RPi but it sure isn’t happy either! FWIW, I have been using Volumio’s power down command then disconnecting power from the Okto to do anything with the RPi. TIA for any advice.

Are you external powering your LCD, or just using one of the rPi USB port. Seems you have a power failure, the LCD extracts to much current from the rPi.

1 Like

I’m powering off the RPi USB port - the same connection as touch. The ports on the display are in parallel. Can I use an external power supply without damaging the Pi?

If you have a power full enough PSU, you can split one input to the rPi and one to the LCD.
Using 2 PSU should not harm the rPi.
I am using a 5A LPS one output powers the rPi and the other the LCD.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have to dig a little deeper into the Okto to see how / where the power is connected. The RPi is mounted upside down on standoffs.