Volumio error on RPi 3B+

I posted the following log on the Help session of this forum. Thanks to the community, I learned how to restart Volumio. As the issue persists – Volumio becomes unavailable sporadically and requires restart of Volumio from SSH on my new 3B+ (with Terra-Berry DAC2), I thought I should put a bug report here. All I can tell is that there are lots of error messages in the log:

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/0QalHzc.html

Thanks,

John

Hi, I did see your log yesterday. I’ve no idea what that repeated error message is the result of, or whether it is even responsible for your problem. It might be worth posting as an issue on Github github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues. Describe your problem, give a link to the full log, and show a short excerpt of the typical errors (so it can be seen without wading through the entire log).

Hi,

Seems like you are having issues playing DSD files located on a NAS, over built-in ethernet, right?

Let’s try to rule out problems sequentially, taking networking our of the equation (ethernet driver has bugs for instance).
Can you try putting some of same files on a USB disk and on local storage on SD, and see if the same problem occurs?
If you have a USB-Ethernet dongle, can you try it instead of built-in ethernet?
More generally, does Volumio operate nicely for other sources (Web radios, other types of files on NAS, etc…)

Note: Pi3b+ support is still in early stage, as is for all distributions currently: some kernel-related issues are being worked-out by Pi-Foundation.

Thanks to both. Yes, it seems like there are some sort of channel errors with Volumio when communicating with my NAS, but not limited to DSD. This is a good observation. With this, I try to narrow down as suggested using USB drive, etc.

Thanks,

John

Playing from an USB drive is actually worse. It not only gives errors in the log, the album stopped in the middle on its own. When on NAS, I only experienced Volumio GUI stops on its own during idle.

Apr 25 02:00:33 terra volumio[750]: info: interfaceApi::pushState
Apr 25 02:00:33 terra volumio[750]: info: ------------------------------ 178ms
Apr 25 02:00:33 terra volumio[750]: info: ------------------------------ 175ms
Apr 25 02:00:33 terra volumio[750]: info: Pushing Favourites {“service”:“mpd”,“uri”:“mnt/USB/Cruzer256GB/Shared DSD/Alison Krauss/Forget About It [SACD]/07. Ghost In This House.dsf”,“favourite”:false}
Apr 25 02:00:33 terra volumio[750]: info: Pushing Favourites {“service”:“mpd”,“uri”:“mnt/USB/Cruzer256GB/Shared DSD/Alison Krauss/Forget About It [SACD]/07. Ghost In This House.dsf”,“favourite”:false}
Apr 25 02:01:07 terra volumio[750]: error: error
Apr 25 02:01:57 terra volumio[750]: error: error
Apr 25 02:02:47 terra volumio[750]: error: error
Apr 25 02:03:37 terra volumio[750]: error: error
Apr 25 02:04:27 terra volumio[750]: error: error
Apr 25 02:04:28 terra volumio[750]: info: CorePlayQueue::getTrack 6
Apr 25 02:04:28 terra volumio[750]: info: CorePlayQueue::getTrack 7
Apr 25 02:04:28 terra volumio[750]: info: Prefetching next song
Apr 25 02:04:28 terra volumio[750]: info: DOING PREFETCH IN MPD

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/VJHt6oZ.html

I will try not using Ethernet next.

Could you try putting few of your files on internal SD then?
Then you could try different network interfaces (Wifi or USB-Ethernet dongle).
I dunno if @michelangelo had a chance to create a test built with 4.14.37 kernel yet, as it may fix important things.

Note:
There seem some problematic Pi3b+ board need to lower RAM refresh rate. You may want to temporarily check if setting sdram_freq=450 in /boot/config.txt provides any benefit.

The “sdram_freq=450 in /boot/config.txt” line seems to have done it. My Volumio on the new RPi 3B+ appears to be stable in the last two days, no more GUI drop out during idle. The errors during playback is not showing in the log any more. I will continue to monitor and report back. Thanks for the help!!

John

Good, thanks for report.
Please note this is just a workaround, and probably won’t be needed after future Volumio updates (like when Volumio ships with 4.14.37 kernel or later).