Volumio doesn't reconnect to Wifi / Can't reach it anymore via SSH

Hi all,

on beforehand, my system information:
Volumio Version: 2.873 (Kernel: 4.19.118-v7+)
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2 ( Version: a02082, Firmware Version: Apr 27 2020 14:35:17)
DAC: Pre Box S2 Digital (external, connected via USB)

The topic is pretty straight forward. If my network connection drops (router restart or similar), volumio does not reconnect to the the network. At least I cant find it in the DHCP Client list and i cant reach it via SSH (putty or WinSCP).
I use a static IP Adress and the Hotspotmode is deactivated. This problem does not occur, when connected via ethernet.

It tried different things, even an old plugin from @balbuze (link), but it does not seem to work for me.
I can put it “on” but it stays “inactive”.

Any ideas what to do here? I would be so happy. Thank you very much.

Kind regards
B.

PS: In the DHCP Client list from the router, I can identify volumio via it’s IP.
The name is “Unknown” although the device is named “volumio” in the settings. But this doesn’t have any impact right? I just found it strange…

I used to have this problem with wifi only Volumio devices. I never successfully found the cause, although spent a lot of time looking. I resorted to rebooting once a day (via a cron job), which seemed to work for my scenario. More recently, I run all my devices over a wired network, which seems to be far more stable.

Thanks for your answer.
Sadly, in this case its not possible to connect the raspberry via ethernet for normal operation. I wont drill through two walls in a rented flat :smiley:

This “used” to be fixed I guess, since there are several threads on this topics in the past.
Does anyone NOT have this problem and can share his setup?
Volumio Version, Raspberry Model and Version.
Maybe a older version of volumio does the trick for me until its fixed?

I’m getting the same problem. My Raspberry Pi 4B is connected wirelessly to a Google home mesh network. The volumio ‘server’ is configured with a static IP address and simply disappears without notice or warning. Like you, I don’t want to drill holes in walls just to connect a network cable.

I cannot see the device in the the Google Home wifi settings. Re-boot works for me - but Volumio will disappear again at some unpredictable point. My internet connection is (allegedly) strong - I get 500 mbps download speeds and have around 20 devices connected (most of which are idle). There are no stats for my router that suggests the network drops.

Mh, sounds bad as well. For my part, it mostly went along with network drops, but I’ll have an eye on it.
What I just tried is the following instruction: Rebooting the Raspberry Pi when it loses wireless connection | We Work We Play

I adapted the code a bit (the IP of my router and I changed the crontab period from five minutes to one minute. As of for now: System online for 2 hours, 1 drop “survived”. Lets see, if this is stable I’ll post more detailed “instructions”.

BUT: I think this is something, that could be included within the volumio system itself.

Isn’t this essentially what Balbuze’s plugin does/attempts to do? If it is, and you say the plugin is not working properly, then perhaps it could be updated/modified? I agree that it is a very simple check to do, but most people do not appear to have the problem, so perhaps a plugin is the best way to implement it.

Yes, I think this is the idea. The addon pings the google dns server, I ping my router - I guess that is a matter of taste. To your first answer: I power off the raspberry regularly at night, big power strip for the whole hifi system. Therefore “restart” won’t tackle the problem properly.

Up to now: Still online.

I just noticed, that after soft-reconnection, volumio disappered in the DHCP client list. I cant ping it anymore, can’t reach via SSH.
BUT: Its still reachable and responsive via WebUI and I still can connect via Spotify.

Thanks for participating, I’ll keep you updated.

I have the same problem every now and then. On an ASUS Tinkerboard, this shows that it is not a problem with the Raspberry Pi only, I believe it is a problem with the Volumio WiFi Networking.
It happened today again, and every time whatever I attempt to do, I fail at solving the issue, and I end up reflashing the micro-SD card with Volumio and get going again. It has become a bi-monthly routine for me.

Not solved fully yet.
It still disappears several times a day w/o network drops, I double checked the router logs.
It seems that nicola has the same issues, I will probably try a reflash this week but I don’t see this as a long time solution.

It would be great, if in the upcoming updates the system stability will be in the focus again - functionally wise I’m super happy with Volumio. The whole restarting / reflashing due to disconnects is annoying.

Please check if your router or switch has an option “IGMP Snooping:” enabled. If so turn it off.

grafik

I have a pretty basic technikolor router, I think it doesn’t have the IGMP Option.
I added a screenshot of the “advanced” tab, may I have overseen anything obvious?

I would try the same with AMPDU disabled. (Not sure if you can set it as it’s greyed out)
But not convinced it will make a difference.

When to turn Optimize AMPDU aggregation Off
You should generally turn Optimized AMPDU aggregation function disabled when you are running time critical applications such as online gaming or VoIP. The reason is that the AMPDU is less efficient and slower by itself. You want faster and immediate transmission of data rather than aggregation through the router.

Thanks for the answer. And: You are right, can’t turn this option off.
However: There are several other WiFi-Devices (one is a Teufel 3sixty) which have absolutly no stability problems. They connect anytime via WiFi (Radiostations and Spotifiy).

Still absolutely to try anything that could improve availability - if there is more ideas, I’m very interested.

You can buy WiFi to Ethernet connectors. It might be worth trying one. I had similar problems and have hardwired my Raspis.

I didn’t have time to dig deeper into this topic. But now I got a new router a while ago and monday I decided to update Volumio the the “Volumio 3.114” Buster Beta.
Installed the spotify connect plugin from balbuze and even this works flawlessly. 3 days uptime.

People with similar problems might try this as well.

PS: All of this with build-in-WiFi. Didn’t try the approach of @JoachimStrobel

It seems there is issue with Volumio and some router. My case is similar that Pi4 worked quite stable then I played with different OS… When back to Volumio, wifi can’t connect even hotport work well. I did try with my phone tethering and it also work.

Any clue to check information in router?