Volumio Debian Buster Beta - Raspi images debugging

Hi !

I’m currently testing version 3.010-2020-08-21 on a Pi3B+, and I can’t get sound out of my IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro. I tried to follow the steps that @ashthespy advised to @steve65, but it did not solve it.

Here is my audio device list :

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: IQaudIODAC [IQaudIODAC], device 0: IQaudIO DAC HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 [IQaudIO DAC HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In the Web UI under Playback Options, if I choose :

1. I2S DAC : Off and Output Device : Headphones

$ grep hw /etc/mpd.conf
    device          "hw:0,0"

2. I2S DAC : Off and Output Device : IQaudIO DAC

$ grep hw /etc/mpd.conf
    device          "hw:1,0"

3. I2S DAC : On and DAC Model : IQaudIO DAC Plus

$ grep hw /etc/mpd.conf
    device          "hw:2,0"

Here is what actually happens when trying to play audio in these 3 cases :

1. I hear audio out of the Raspberry Pi’s headphone jack
  2. I hear no audio anywhere (well, I do hear a hum out of the DAC headphone jack)
  3. Playback does not start and errors, as hw:2,0 does not exist

Before trying Volumio I tried the latest Raspberry Pi OS, and everything was working fine : even the hum in case 2 wasn’t occuring.

I did check alsamixer for any mutes or low levels. I also tried to aplay a file, which worked on RPi OS, but not on Volumio. Also, when I try it in case 2, it fails with the following message :

$ aplay -D hw:1,0 FIP\ Groove_07.wav 
aplay: main:828: audio open error: Device or resource busy 

Which indicates that MPD is effectively using the right device.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks !

After investigating a bit today, I noticed these errors in the dmesg boot log :

[   18.104406] snd-rpi-iqaudio-dac soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link IQaudIO DAC: -517
[   18.112503] input: raspberrypi-ts as /devices/platform/soc/soc:firmware/soc:firmware:touchscreen/input/input0
[   18.113529] snd-rpi-iqaudio-dac soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link IQaudIO DAC: -517
[   18.296883] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
[   18.468062] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[   18.596538] snd-rpi-iqaudio-dac soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link IQaudIO DAC: -517
[   18.597019] brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x15264345
[   18.614112] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio for chip BCM4345/6
[   18.614522] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[   18.615907] snd-rpi-iqaudio-dac soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link IQaudIO DAC: -517
[   18.742102] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,3-model-b-plus.txt failed with error -2
[   18.953105] random: crng init done
[   18.953119] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
[   18.973399] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio for chip BCM4345/6
[   18.996082] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4345/6 wl0: Mar  2 2020 23:30:41 version 7.45.202 (r724630 CY) FWID 01-72f6ece2 

Any idea what might cause this ?

It looks like my last message may not be relevant, as I get these same errors in the boot log of Raspberry Pi OS and it works fine.

[   18.615907] snd-rpi-iqaudio-dac soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link IQaudIO DAC: -517

Hello to all,
Currently I am using test version 2.847. I use button plugin, led for status volumio and rpi4 status, when is powered on. My connection is wired Lan… Also I am using 4.3 inch dsi touchscreen and mpd oled script on an 1.3 inch oled.
I would like to switch to buster image due to python 3 version cause I would like to install mpd2chromecast and peppy meter.
If I will switch to beta buster image I will be able to still use the configuration from above and of course new qobuz beta mode or when new implementation from qobuz will be released officially I still be able to use it on this new buster image?
Thanks in advance

You should go with the Nodev8 version (please see the first post) build then to ensure you don’t have to recompile core modules for those plugins.

Hmm, Unfortunately at this stage there all the MyVolumio stuff is untested with Buster. I built a test image a few months back, but since it contains closed source things, I would rather someone from the core Volumio team check and then release that image :wink:

Kernel 5.x+ does not load the “rpi_ft5406” module anymore but the “raspberrypi_ts” module when a Raspberry Pi Foundation touchscreen is connected. This required an adaption of the Touch Display plugin: touch_display_1_2_1Busterbeta.zip (793,3 KB)

it’s still running over here ash it’s missing some folders for the plugin’s but
runs mutch better than the latest release i can say …
yt plugin (doesn’t search yt any more), auto start, system,
touch display, local music and radio runs well …
it’s for me the best release only you have to do all by hand…

ash are you still working on the 3.10 or is it gone?

There should be a link to the 5.4 kernel version in the opening post - but be ready to set up more by hand :wink:

i got a version bit tweaked runs smooth only yt plugin bug some times
but that is normal…

Hello all friends!

I tested Volumio 3.0 and found that:
The operating system runs really well, and it’s fast, the sound seems pure.
Stores USB scan history
the big downside I see all volumio versions have is: the boot speed is very slow when the music files increase for example:
Hard drive contains 1T of music: boot speed is: 1 min 30 s. 2 Tb music: 2 minutes. This is bad, because I tried the Moodeaudio, it was very smart, it stored the first scan and the boot time was very fast, only 50 S, and regardless of the number of songs and hard drive space!

So can you handle this? ie the start-up speed is independent of the number of music files, and retains the first scan history ??
Thank you very much!
Mac

Hey @mac
What pi are you running this on?
This is a pet project that I would like to investigate - the slowdown during boot due to database scanning. It’s some quirk with the async code. However, I don’t really have a large music collection, as I mostly stream these days. So if you don’t mind - could you share your /var/lib/mpd/tag_cache (privately) with me? I’d like to play around a bit to see where the bottleneck is :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hi ashthespy!

this 2 Mb off file: tag_cache.

when you have time you can see my Pi4??

How do I get it to boot quickly, without being affected by the size of the file: tag_cache.
And where is the starting speed specified?
Please just let me know!
Thanks
Mac
Thanks

Hi ashthespy!

I was test again Volumio 3.0 vs Moodeaudio 6.7.

1- aAbout boot time:
Volumio 3.0 : 55 s
Moodeaudio 6.7 : 46 s.

2- The music file : 2.2 T music off 4 T Hdd (WD)

I use 32G Micro SanDisk Extreme Pro for write Volumio and Moodeaudio on Pi 4- 4 G,
Ok - after I scan all music to Volumio 3.0 and Moodeaudio, so I test and I see:

1- Moodaudio boot time is still 46 s, with full scan music file, and play well when boot again- no need scan again .

2- Volumio 3.0 boot time go up 1 m 20 s, and some time , it run scan again Hdd,

So I ask you : why Moodeaudio is well with boot time and scan music file??

Why Volumio 3.0 is bad off time boot and scan music auto again?
Oh, Volumio have many many member can support !
Thank you advice
Best regards!
Mac

New build - new bugs features! :wink:
Raspberry Pi Volumio-3.014-2020-12-10-pi
Updates:

• myVolumio – (very alpha, please test!)
  • Bump to 5.4.79 kernel
  • Buster 10.6

Known issues:

• Buster node packages have different binary locations, temp fix by symlinking:
sudo ln -s "$(which node)" /usr/local/bin/node
sudo ln -s "$(which npm)" /usr/local/bin/npm
sudo ln -s "$(which npm)" /bin/npm

@ashthespy

I installed this just now and had to manually resize the SD card. You posted the solution here (just need to add sudo of course):

One other thing: I have an Allo Boss card. I had to disable HDMI sound in my headless setup or the card was recognized as card 3. I appended this line to /boot/cmdline.txt:

snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=0

Also in that file, I changed this option:

snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=1

I did those two things to get the mpd2chromecast plugin to work. There may be another way. I haven’t tried adding those to /boot/userconfig.txt.

Before changing that second option, my sound card was not being properly recognized by mpd2chromecast. However, playback was working out of the analog output of my sound card before I changed that option.

I’ve only had it up for half an hour but my Pandora plugin is working. Looks good!

Virtual Keyboard 1.0.4 doesn’t work… with latest touch display buster beta …

Yes, I wrote that Virtual Keyboard does not work earlier. Not matchbox-keyboard is the problem but chromium browser. Workaround is to revert to the old chromium version that gets installed on Jessie based systems.

@ashthespy

auto start 1.1.2 doesn’t revert to last played song … 6 songs later it plays… seems to play random
but not set on random…

default startup volume is not working set on 60 doesn’t jump to 60 , startup volume after reboot is 100%

system information 0.1.3 works oke…

backup / restore 0.7.2 is broken… creates no backup…

album art : /data/albumart/web <<< images not showing they are present…

@truckershitch mpd2chromecast does not directly access the sound card. It does rely on a client connection to the onboard MPD server to continually query the current playback state and track/file details. It would almost suggest that MPD was not functional prior to those changes and hence the mpd2chromecast script fell foul of that. I’ll try updating my own volumio rpi to the same new beta and see if I can reproduce the same issue. I don’t however have any 3rd party sound device on my rpi as it’s only use to stream audio to chromecasts.

I believe that this is the case. I should have been more specific in my message.

I think this is specific to add-on sound cards and your script. If I remember correctly, the first error that occurred was when your script queried the volume parameter of the mpd software status. mpc status did not show a valid value for volume. I tried a number of things until I changed

snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=1

in the /boot/cmdline.txt file. I don’t think that this is the proper fix, as I was unable to change the volume from your program’s web page.

I’d be happy to help you out with this if you want. Maybe this should be on GitHub or on another thread here on the forum?