Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

Tested today on a `PC on a stick’ - (atom x64 processor with 2gb ram / 30gb sd)
worked out of the box - added the Spotify connect plugin - opened a shared spotify session with my office colleagues - pointed at volumio - worked straight away :smiley:

Fantastic project !

here it comes…

http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/nduHaoe.html

I just tested Volumio 2.799 on the same machine…same issue - no servers found.

1 Like

Hi,

I just did setup 2 devices with v3.114.

2 x RaspberryPI 3b
1x Allo Boss clone by Innotech (should be the “sender”
1x Allo Katana (by All :slight_smile:
both connected to a proper and low noise (2x 5.05V / 8,5A) double LPS

1.) I was not able to reproduce any issues with WiFi.
I recommend to use DHCP and reserving IP addresses to the MAC addresses of devices on your DHCP serve, which is usually your router - and hopefully one that is able to configure that.
That does make it very easy to address certain devices - e.g.Volumio by knowing their IP address based on the WiFi MAC address. I just put stickers onto the network connector or write it onto

2.)
Is there any hint how to do multiroom ? How to group devices ?

3.)
If switching internet radio stations i have to click the stations twice i hear music

best regards
Josef

2 Likes

You need a Myvolumio superstar subscription enable on each devices in order to use multiroom sync playback. Then an option ‘group device’ is available.

I am logged on with superstar on both devices and both devices are enabled.
At one device “group device” is missing
At the other i only get offered the device itself for grouping if i click “group devices” and not the other.

Try to play something local on each devices. Then try to group.

Thank you - that did the trick :slight_smile:
good to know

Let us know how it works for you and how you like it Josh :wink:

will you also share with us brand/model of this stick?

currently - i’m connected remote - so i only see the devices are grouped now and don’t hear my speakers.
Will let you know today evening. I’m shure i will like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

sure, took me a while to find the relevent one :-

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/31579/pc-on-a-stick-with-windows-8-1-intel-inside

thanks!

Thanks, this solved it for me too!

yep, had the same issue. Fixed it for me as well. thanks

Can someone verify that casting to Chromecast Audio actually works? And are bit rates higher than 48KHz are supported (max for “regular” chromecast)?

Also, does unplugging a USB DAC still make the DAC unusable? I had given the developers a fix (for v.2.x). I really dont want to rewrite all my hacks and additions to make them work on the new version. Paying for a product, telling the creators how to fix it, and not having it fixed, seems to be really insulting! At the moment, the system sees modified files so my fixes break the easy updates and I have to SSH in and force an update.

I would REALLY like to see more media keys supported by the UI, such as the search button, menu button (to get to track list), back button (even the Android app wont recognize this which is not acceptable!), Fast forward, rewind, some cursor/tab order support for D-pad remotes, etc. I have a remote that does all these and it would be nice to have to switch the remote into “mouse mode”

And I’m guessing that code to beta test the multiroom is only for the first 10 people that use it, or is that for 10 tracks on a lower tier? I have Chromecast devices everywhere but only 1 volumio. I would love to have multiroom before Halloween (some rooms are “outside”).

If I understood correctly, chromecast support will have to wait for a plugin to be developed?

I understand you are not very happy at the moment, let’s try to change that.
But first, feature requests should be places somewhere else, they go lost in a testing thread like this one.
Chromecast Audio support has not been announced yet and is not in focus for the first Volumio 3 release.
The DAC issue is another, could you please create a log, like all other testers do and explain exactly what goes wrong and when?
Howto create a log
Do you have link to the post with your suggested fixes?
Volumio 3 was forked from Volumio 2 quite a while ago.
Although most fixes were implemented in both versions, it is possible we missed something.

1 Like

Look. I’ve already been through this. I’ve sent logs! And when the support person I was talking to couldn’t find an answer, I solved it myself and sent him the solution to pass on. I then asked him for a bug tracker link where I could post a patch (its the addition of two lines) and he said to make a forum post.

I found an existing thread on the issue and people have been having the same problem for YEARS! Link: How I can turning DAC on/off without rebooting Volumio

The issue is that if a USB DAC is unplugged and then plugged back in, volumio cant talk to it. I keep my Pi running but the DAC and a tube preamp are on outlets that are wired to the trigger output on my AVR, so they only come on when that input is selected. Without the patch, you have to reboot volumio every time the DAC goes off, which is what I was trying to avoid (reboot time} by keeping it on.

The fix is just adding a vstop after the usbdetach and a vstart at the beginning of usbattach in the volumio script. The UI just spins until it sees the DAC again and its all ready in a few seconds.

As for Chromecast, the initial post mentioned support was added. I was VERY close to upgrading my subscription to get the Chromecast support! The moment that is available, I want it, and I’d be more than happy to alpha-test. I can get raw network dumps if needed and I have EVERY kind of Chromecast - a Vizio TV, Hisense Android TV, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast with Google TV, a Lenovo Smart Display, a Lenovo Alarm Clock, and about 4 Chromecast Audio devices. So, you can see why integrating the Chromecast ecosystem with Volumio is important to me!

As for feature requests, people have been complaining about the poor interface for awhile. I was going to hack in the keys I needed via xbindkeys, but the browser already grabs them, so I have to dive into your UI code instead and just not had the time. I did add control of the UI via HDMI-CEC and that hack is one of the things to replicate once I switch to v3 - maybe I can make it a plugin!

1 Like

read this again, it does not announce Chromecast Audio, merely that with AAMPP it can now be done.
This is a Volumio 3 Beta thread, I agree that this Chromecast discussion is worthwhile but please post it somewhere more suitable.
I see no involvement of any dev in your linked discussion.
Please submit a log and your suggestion to fix it, devs read this thread will gladly comment your contribution.

Experimental Chromecast Audio with Volumio 3

Disconnected USB DAC issue: devs are having a look.
Now have a little patience :wink:

3 Likes