Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing

I don’t know if it just me, I have been using this version for a few days and everything seems to be working ok for me but navigating the menus has more lag than in version 2.917.

I am also suprised that the inteferface looks identical to version two when I first launched I though I had installed the old version by mistake. Considering the massive changes you have made to version 3, I would think there should be something to clearly make a visible change to the interface.

2 Likes

From what we know, 64bit kernel does not offer any tangible benefit so we won’t use 64bit kernels for ARM. Then why “64 bit driver support for the Allo USBridge Sig” might be considered worth mentioning is a mystery to me :wink:

Thanks Leo for the feedback. Could you please post a screen capture or provide more info?

A new, marvellous, User Interface for Volumio3 is under works. Still we don’t know if we will release it together with Volumio 3.

2 Likes

I am not sure to post a screen capture of lag. It just seems to take a slightly bit longer to go between menus. Navigation just does not seem to be as fast as in 2.917.

3 Likes

Are you on wifi?
Please send logs and paste link here

Support for the fan POE + HAT is broken. the fan is not recognised and does not spin.

# cat /boot/userconfig.txt
# Add your custom config.txt options to this file, which will be preserved during updates
# PoE+ FAN TEMPERATURE CONTROL
dtoverlay=rpi-poe

# dmesg | grep -i poe
[ 12.313299] rpi-poe-fan rpi-poe-fan@0: Failed to get default PWM value: -5
[ 12.313334] rpi-poe-fan: probe of rpi-poe-fan@0 failed with error -5

Similar problem was observed here - PoE HAT Fans not operating on two Raspberry Pi 4s - Raspberry Pi Forums

but after executing # rpi-update the sd card doesn’t boot.

# vcgencmd version
Jan 8 2021 14:31:16
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 194a85abd768c7334bbadc3f1911c10a7d18ed14 (clean) (release) (start)

1 Like

Yes Wifi for both.

I will post logs later and let you know.

1 Like

I’m not sure why I seem to get lesser sq with Volumio, perhaps the driver has nothing to do with it. Even with Volumio it seems better to stream Tidal through UPnP. My Topping D90 occasionally switches between MQA and PCM on the display and produces short imperfections in the sound otherwise. It may have more to do with the integrated Tidal/Tidal Connect.

1 Like

I assume because of the usual problem with USB Sig: it requires a special driver to work properly, which might not still be in raspberry kernel…
Thanks for the info, we will investigate

1 Like

Here is link to the logs:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/vWlgHio.html

It seems to be behaving better today.

Here is another log. While playing qobuz playlist the previous track button does not work.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/mXSZNJh.html

This is the first version I can use with a Lenovo Chromebook X131e, since previous versions didn’t recognize wifi card.

Issues found:
-very slow response (unusable) when switching from Tidal Connect to normal mode (playing local files). Unable to access remotely. I had to restart from local UI.
-I’m using a Topping D10 DAC but when I try to control the volume from UI it sounds “ssssssssss”.

Note: It would be nice it could play SACD ISOs.

1 Like

Without logs, we hardly ever solve serious issues :wink:
Howto: Send a log
And feature requests don’t belong here, better add them to feature requests

Raspberry DAC Plus
Version 3.114
After installing Volumio 3, scanning NAS gives no results
http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/L1mOKVL.html

1 Like

If this helps, I might confirm this issue with another DAC of this brand: Topping D90SE which is supposed to accept up to 768kHz PCM / DSD512 native over USB.
I confirm that it is likely related to Raspberry Pi edition only.
I have Pi 4B, Pi 400 and x64 devices to test Volumio on.

Situation:

1. Volumio 2.9** works perfectly on any of them - output identified as “USB:D90SE” and any of the formats streamed properly - including any DSD direct and upsampling to 768kHz on PCM = OK.

2. Volumio 3.114 does not work that way on Raspberry Pi version:

• output identified as “D90SE”
  • the actual output always streamed to DAC as PCM at a maximum 384kHz (anything below plays correct)
  • MQA is not working (local test files & streaming Tidal) - all streams are just PCM @ max 384kHz on output already

It does not appear to be settings related either:

• no changes when choosing between DSD direct vs DoP modes (tested the recommendation by @backenst)
  • no changes if upsampling on / off
  • reset of the whole equipment (including DAC) makes no difference, same with changing hardware setup

However,
- all things work fine on x64 or
- when switching back to Volumio 2.917, all works correctly on Raspberry as well.

This does not work for me. When I click or double click a single song it is not added to the queue. Also, when I click on three dots to the right of each song and click add to queue it is not added to the queue. (but the progress bar in the upper right corner is displayed). Also, when I click play in that popup menu it does not play.

Only adding the whole album to the queue works.
Log: http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/sJO6jdT.html

1 Like

Not exactly a bug, but the ssh welcome screen ain’t accurate anymore (2.0, Debian and 2020)

Hi - excellent software, thank you very much!

It looks like some of the web radios (e.g. 1.FM Deep House, 1.FM Spa) does not display their icon and generate “AccessDenied” error getting the image from tunein site

Maybe it’s something on my side…?

Device: x64 Asrock Deskmini 310w i5-9400 500nvme / 4tb SSD sata
16GB Ram(i know it a overkill)
Dragonfly Red DAC

version 3.121
Wrong Album Art showing when playing, still shows last song playing. Hit F5 fixed it.

Did not mount internal SSD drive, had to manual mount drive.

Besides that great speed improvement.

Volumio destroys Nativ Vita, Olive and definitely cocktail audio players.

Keep up the great work!!! Love it.

Gave it a quick run out on one of my Pi Zero web radio builds.

Have to say, pleasantly surprised how far it’s progressed since the last time I gave it a try - nice work to the team!

Indeed only one thing that’s a showstopper for me actually moving it to my daily driver, in that I use an IR remote (a JustBoom IR) and from what I can find the plug-in for IR remotes hasn’t been ported yet and so it doesn’t work.

Runs fine under control of the web interface, so when the plugin is ported then it’ll be a definite move across for my reliable old fleet of Pi’s!

Hello,
Where are the install instructions for this? I have downloaded the Tinkerboard version for my Primo, would like to give it a go, especially the DSP stuff.

Or what is the expected timeframe for the official release for the version 3, if its not too long then I’ll wait.

1 Like