Volumio 3 Buster Beta for RPi

What exactly doesn’t work?

Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox wireless.js[1265]: Connected to: ----Freebox-34267B-Stable
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox wireless.js[1265]: ----
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox sudo[1394]:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/ifconfig wlan0
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox sudo[1394]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox sudo[1394]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox dnsmasq[737]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox dnsmasq[737]: using nameserver 192.168.1.254#53
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox dnsmasq[737]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox dnsmasq[737]: using nameserver 208.67.220.220#53
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox wireless.js[1265]: ... joined AP, wlan0 IPv4 is 192.168.1.49, ipV6 is undefined
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox wireless.js[1265]: It's done! AP
Mar 14 14:08:40 blackbox systemd[1]: Started Wireless Services.

It took a couple of tries, but it seems to have connected?

But this one :frowning:

Hi
Thanks for the quick check.
It did connect, but, i think given the strength of the signal and proximity to my router (less than 1meter), it was only using the Raspberry Pi 3 board Wifi, not the TP-LINK USB dongle.
This was for troubleshooting that i put the Raspberry so close (and with ethernet cable), but i am usually using the Raspberry much farther away and need the longer range of the wifi dongle. With Raspberry wifi alone, i usually can’t connect.
You can suggest commands for me to try to troubleshoot a bit, maybe i am wrong with my assessment, but the led of the Wifi dongle doesn’t blink with Volumio 3, yet blinks with Volumio 2.

Regards

Is the RTL8192 EU supported in vanilla Raspbian image? If I recall correctly, it required special drivers that that weren’t included by default with Jessi. I wonder if that is still the case with Buster?

Hi

I don’t know how to check properly, but doing a search and checking various websites, it seems many are providing specific methods to install that specific driver by download & compile or some just suggest apt-get install firmware-realtek, but it is is a non-free driver.

Big question for me: is it like this now just because Volumio 3 is in Beta and would be fixed when dubbed Stable, or would it stay like this because Volumio 3 would focus on Raspbian vanilla image ?

rtl8192eu was part of the set of custom wifi packages which were taken from the MrEngman’s repo, see https://github.com/volumio/Build/blob/a3ed097bbb47a473798ffcf099aed5e16d642bbf/scripts/raspberryconfig.sh#L275

As @Gé said, previously we were pulling in a bunch of custom WiFi drivers from MrEngman’s collection. A lot of them are now in the tree for newer kernels. But the RTL8192EU doesn’t seem to be.

firmware-realtek should already be included, so unsure why it’s not picking up this chipset?

Can you check if it’s installed?

dpkg -l firmware-realtek

We should do an evaluation of what is still required from MrEngman’s collection and fetch them. Ofc, this would be Pi specific, and won’t help other arm boards…

Could you confirm if the drivers compiled by MrEngman work for you?

sudo wget http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-drivers/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo install-wifi

I installed version 3.051 and I still have the same problem with the wireless network: I have to reconfigure it every time the system reboots, which is in Off mode. I use Static IP.
Rasp 3 + Allo Boss

When I installed the latest version of Buster, 3.051, in System Settings, I changed the name of it to “Volumio_3”.
I use Putty and see

volumio @ volumio3: ~ $

And when doing Sudo nano … I continually get

sudo: unable to resolve host volumio3: System error

I fixed it by renaming it to Volumio3 in

sudo nano / etc / hostname

and in

sudo nano / etc / hosts

I use Rasp 3 + Allo Boss + V 3.051

@dvo: eh, I don’t think the author was posting an ssh/login issue, you may want to read first and then post :wink:

@Danielfelix: Underscores in the player name appear to be an issue, not a beta issue surely, but we need to look at this.

@gkkpch,@Daniefelix:

“_” Issue has nothing to do with Volumio. It’s simply not allowed in Linux to be used in the Hostname.

2 Likes

thanks for the answer, already guessed that the underscore was the problem.

It occurs to me to use “_” :sweat_smile:

RPI4
Volumio 3.054
When playing a file, the sound doesn’t start at the beginning but about 3sec is skipped.

1 Like

In version 3.054, the wireless network configuration with Static IP continues to be erased at restart.
RPI 3 + Allo Boss

Hi

Sorry, didn’t received the notofication of new answer, hence my late reply
Here is the screenshot of the dpkg -l firmware-realtek

Don’t really know how to interpret correctly, hope that helps.
Compilation is on-going for the others commands

Regards

Hi

With your commands to get the drivers, compile / install them, it works very well.
The USB Wifi dongle is working (green light blicking, good wifi reception when away from the main router), even with better reception it seems than Volumio 2.

Thanks a lot!

I use Rasp3 + Allo Boss with Volume 3.054.
When I mount the music location on my HD it is listed as unmount but the library looks and is work perfectly.

I had that exact same problem with a OpenMediaVault NAS, and the only solution that worked was to rebuild the NAS from scratch, following the developers how-to, to the letter.
I’m used to tech and computers, but with the NAS (and beeing an open source solution, not a comercial one), there was simply too many settings to adjust…
Not really a solution to your problem, but hope it helps.

In my case it is just an indicator problem, it tells me that it is not mounted when it really is.