Volumio 3 and IR Remote Control Apple A1294

For that we have to wait @gvolt maybe knows a other way.
Normally i use a text editor for changing formats.

Not in parallel is correct: First press the menu button to activate mouse pointer control than press up or down buttons to move the pointer. To deactivate mouse pointer control press the menu button again.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I do all the time

Your post #54 and the image in post #55 show that at least pressing the menu and the down button is registered as input from a device considered as a mouse. Do the rectangles with a question mark appear in reaction, i.e. after pressing down, left, right buttons on the remote?

*after* pressing down, left, right buttons on the remote
Yes, after pressing MENU I get:

After pressing UP I get a single questionmark

After the MENU signs I get a carriage return and a single questionmark when I press the UP button

Can you confirm that pressing left and right buttons when mouse pointer control has been activated doesn’t show any output from cat /dev/input/mice?

Can you also confirm, that after leaving mouse pointer control pressing the up and down button doesn’t show any output from cat /dev/input/mice?

In between I had my Raspberry switched off.
After a new start the cat /dev/input/mice shows nothing at first.
Then I restarted the lircmd.service (systemctl restart lircmd.service) and started the cat again.
Now I have feedback.
Pressing the LEFT button shows these questionmarks.
If I let the LEFT button pressed additional questionsmarks are the result:

My feeling is that pressing Left for a short time results in one questionmark and leaving this button results in a second questionmark. But this is hard to see, because it could also come from a repeat mechanism of the Apple IR control.

Pressing the RIGHT button results in a single questionmark followed by a carriage return line feed. But if I let this button pressed I get no more questionmarks. For a new questionmark I have to press the RIGHT button again. The image shows 4 times pressed button. Leaving this button doesn’t show anything.

If I press the UP button the result seems to be the same as pressing the RIGHT button. If I leave the button I don’t see anything.

Pressing the DOWN button I get brackets. If I let this button pressed I get additional bracket (like the LEFT button)
Like the LEFT button it seems that I get one bracket after pressing the button and a second bracket after leaving the button.

These answers I only see after pressing the MENU button which shows this result:

If I press the MENU button again, what means that the navigation is switched off, I do not get any answer by pressing the navigation buttons. So the toggle mechanism does somthing.

For testing my Apple IR controller and my IR receiver I connected the receiver to an arduino which logged the codes from the Apple IR control as decimal numbers.
If this helps I would solder my receiver again to my arduino and would post the codes from there.
But this I would do tomorrow.
Please let me know when I should do this.

That to check was the primary goal of the last tests. So the issue seems to be that these signals are not “translated” to the mouse pointer position.

ATM I would think it is not necessary.

If you don’t mind backup your lircd.conf and lircrc and set up a fresh Volumio system with just the Touch Display and IR Controller Plugins added. Then modify lircmd.conf and lirc-options.conf as suggested earlier, restore your A1294 profile, select it from the IR Controller’s config page and start the lircmd.service.

BTW: What display are you using and what is the result of

ls -al /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

@KLF and @gvolt

Thank you for that investigation.
I did not expect mouse function at all before- but that’s great

Personally i gave up with IR controls when i found out that RF controls are also working via USB receiver and triggerhappy.

But i don’t know how to get mouse functionalty this way.

Please excuse me for getting a bit off topic - but it’s only to get remote control - and if possible with IR i will use it in parallel for the menu / mouse function.

@volumio

Thank you

Best regards
Josef

Good morning gvolt,
at the moment I use a PC screen with HDMI plug, on my target device I use this device (description unfortunately in German) with a HDMI-VGA converter: https://www.pollin.de/productdownloads/D120964B.PDF

Result of xorg.conf.d :

volumio@myvolumio:~$ ls -al /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
total 13
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 16 16:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1024 Sep 16 16:35 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 Feb  7  2019 10-amdgpu.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1350 Aug  4 12:56 10-quirks.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 Apr  6  2019 10-radeon.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1429 Mar 31  2019 40-libinput.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2747 Jun 26  2017 70-wacom.conf
volumio@myvolumio:~$

Okay, I will setup a fresh Volumio like you described.
But this takes a little time and I let you know when I’m ready again.

Good morning Josh,
Yes I’ve also seen RF controls like an air mouse working via USB stick.
Then I saw the flirc dongle which is able to translate IR commands as part of the hardware itselfe by using a flirc tool.
for me gvolt’s plugin would be the most elegant solution it it works completely. But if gvolt gives up, I would give flirc a try.

For me the Apple A1294 has a phantastic design by using only a minimum of buttons.
Therefore I would like to use it.
But at first I have to install my Volumio completely new like gvolt suggested.

1 Like

Be aware that the few buttons on this remote will not be enough to have the default functions (previous, next, volume up and down etc.) and also the possibility to move the mouse pointer. Activating the mouse pointer control mode does not deactivate a function that has been assigned to a button in lircrc. So if a button used for navigation is also assigned to another function in lircrc both (mouse pointer movement and the other function) will happen (AFAIK).

Hmmmm,
unfortunately a double function on buttons seems not to be possible, you wrote that before but I forgot that.
That would be a showstopper for both Apple controller - shit happens.
In that case also flirc would not be usable, I guess.
Then I have to think about these ugly air mouses, or do you know a smarter way?

Josh, what RF controller do you use?

I tried many - and most liked the G21 pro because of it’s additional learnable IR mode which i am using to switch my amps on and off.

If you find the “airmouse” ones ugly you may like this one:

The 2,4GHz models are most reliable - but if you want to have more than 1 remote on 1 USB receiver you have to choose a 433MHz model like that one:

Best Regards
Josef

Hi Josh,
thanx for your suggestions.
Regarding this airmouse I like to have navigation buttons and direct buttons for volume, previous/next and play. Double funktionalities assigned to the same button is not possible in Volumio. Therfore this airmouse has not enough buttons.
This RF remote control is much oversized for what I have in my head.
BUT this G21 Pro could be a nice device. I’ve seen that on Amazon, but there are some bad ratings because of a very short working distance.
Is that also your experience?
Do I have to adjust something in Volumio?
Vielen Dank für deine Vorschläge :innocent:

I haven’t bad experience with the distance - works 10 meters - and 5 meters through the wall without issue.
There is a trick you can do in the triggerhappy config file to switch the functionality of the buttons - so yes it is possible to assign different functionalities to buttons - up to 10 or more if you don’t loose the overview.

Okay,
I didn’t work with the triggerhappy config file yet. Do you remember where it is located?
I will order a controller, maybe I need a bit help from your side when I got it and nothing find in this forum.
Best regards
Klaus

“/etc/triggerhappy/triggers.d/audio.conf”