Volumio 3.703 won't boot on Raspberry Pi 4 (8 GB) with Nanosound One

Hi,

I have just created a fresh installation of Volumio 3.703 for Raspberry Pi 4 using Raspberry Pi Imager, on 64 GB card, class U3, tested with H2testw.

I’m using Raspberry Pi 4, 8 GB version, with Nanosound One DAC.

On boot, I get the following error:
[FAILED] Failed to start Command from Kernel Command Line.
See ‘systemctl status kernel-command-line.service’ for details.
[DEFEND] Dependancy failed for Command from Kernel Command Line.

Boot process continues until:
Player preparing startup
Finishing storage preparations.
Version “3.703” prepared, please wait for startup to finish
[* ] A stop job is running for ifup for eth0 (29s / 1min 30s)

From there a shutdown starts. There are two failures during shutdown.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /var/log.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting /imgpart.

I have been unable to interrupt this process and get to command line.

This problem seems to be specific to Volumio. If I install Raspberry Pi OS, it boots with no issues. I can’t get any sound output from Raspberry Pi OS, though.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Harvey

Nothing to do with the DAC, it’s not getting that far. Sounds like Volumio has not been flashed properly, make sure you follow all the steps. Especially extracting the image in step 2.

Thanks for your reply but as described, flashed Volumio image using the latest Raspberry Pi Imager, as per your link and step 2. Tried several times with the same result.

As for DAC and no sound from Raspberry Pi OS, I mentioned that for completeness, but that’s not the issue here – the main problem is that Volumio won’t boot.

Apologies if I’m stating the obvious but you are not flashing Volumio using the version available in the Raspberry Pi Imager as here are you?:-

I am aware others including myself have had problems with this. I would download the image straight from Volumio’s website - unpack the zip file, and then flash it.

You might also try the balenaEtcher program to flash the unzipped file onto your SD card.

Worth a try.

Don’t use the image supplied by Raspberry Pi Imager, these will fail.
Only use the image downloaded from Volumio.com

1 Like

Exactly what I said :slight_smile:

I know, but you did it to friendly :slight_smile:

Ah, NOT using Raspberry Pi Imager is what I haven’t tried! The steps that SimonE linked to say to DO use Raspberry Pi Imager:

OK, will give that a go tonight and report back.

Thanks!

You need to use Raspbery pi Imager, but download and unzip the image from Volumio.com.
Don’t use the image that Raspberry Pi Imager is giving.

1 Like

Image from Volumio’s website works!
Thanks!

Seeing that it gives so much trouble, how difficult is it to ask the pi imager people to change version?

2 Likes