Volumio 2 Cubox-i UPnP Upmpdcli Not Enabled/Working?

After lurking in the forum for several years to gain some experience, this is my first post for support. Hi everyone!

Let me first say thank you to all of the developers that have made such a wonderful application - it has changed the way I listen to music. I cannot speak highly enough about Volumio as it has literally touched the lives (and “ears”) of many friends and family.

A little bit about my problem. I have been running Volumio v1.5 for several years on a Cubox-i4Pro and it has been an absolutely wonderful experience. I mainly use the UPnP capability with a NAS as the music share, and BubbleUPnP as the control point. Volumio v1.5 has been simply flawless.

This weekend I decided to do an upgrade to Volumio v2 with a new micro SD card. The install went fine and after a reboot I had set a static IP address. However, I have found that Volumio does not show up in BubbleUPnP and/or Foobar2000’s UPnP browser. After doing some research in the forum I have found conflicting information regarding whether UPnP is enabled, whether there is an additional plugin required, and/or if UPnP is running by default. After connecting to Volumio through SSH I do see the config files/templates for Upmpdcli in the following locations:

/volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf.tmpl
/volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf
/static/volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf.tmpl

I found a post that referenced Volumio 2 and UPnP/Open Home here:
https://volumio.org/forum/how-best-use-volumio-and-upnp-openhome-t5643.html

When I check to see if upmpdcli is running (ps -ax | grep upmpdcli) - I see nothing running. The post from my link above suggests that I should be see something like the following:

$ ps -ax |grep upmpdcli 509 ? Ssl 0:10 /usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf

On my installation I just see grep returned:

$ ps -ax | grep upmpdcli 1402 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep upmpdcli

On my installation MPD appears to be running fine:

$ ps aux | grep mpd mpd 661 0.0 0.2 124280 11264 ? Ssl Aug26 0:01 /usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon

When I attempt to see the status of Upmpdcli I see the following:

[code]$service upmpdcli status
● upmpdcli.service - UPnP Renderer front-end to MPD
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/upmpdcli.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: signal) since Sat 2017-08-26 23:21:23 UTC; 1h 40min ago
Process: 931 ExecStart=/usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
Main PID: 931 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Aug 26 23:21:23 volumio systemd[1]: Started UPnP Renderer front-end to MPD.
Aug 26 23:21:23 volumio volumio[931]: pure virtual method called
Aug 26 23:21:23 volumio volumio[931]: terminate called without an active exception
Aug 26 23:21:23 volumio systemd[1]: upmpdcli.service: main process exited, code=killed, sta…ABRT
Aug 26 23:21:23 volumio systemd[1]: Unit upmpdcli.service entered failed state.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.[/code]

Questions:

On Volumio 2 is UPnP enabled by default?

Since I am seeing the config files for Upmpdcli - is this enable by default?

Is there anything that I can do to get UPnP/Upmpdcli working as it was with Volumio v1.5?

Thank you to anyone that can provide some insight/information about my questions - I greatly appreciate it!

Just a friendly bump to see if anyone knows whether UPnP/Upmpdcli is functional on Volumio 2 as it was on Volumio 1.5. Thanks!

Very strange. You might try starting the daemon by hand

sudo /usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf

and see whether that works.

Thank you prof - I greatly appreciate the guidance. As fate would have it my spare SD card appears to have died (cannot reformat and/or delete partitions). I’m off to the store to buy a new one and will see if I am successful with starting the daemon manually. Thanks again!

Hi prof,

On a fresh Volumio 2 install for Cubox-i it appears that UPNP/UPMPDCLI may not be working properly yet. After issuing the manual start command that you suggested (thanks!) I am seeing the following:

root@volumio:/# sudo /usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /volumio/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp/upmpdcli.conf
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception

From the Volumio GitHub page it looks like this may still be under development - However, I’m not 100% certain:

https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2/tree/master/app/plugins/audio_interface/upnp

Do you know by chance if this feature is available for Raspberry Pi users?

Thanks again for your help!

Anybody resolved this?

I seem to recollect some issues with upmpdcli binaries some time ago, which was resolved by compiling custom versions for Volumio. It could well be that this was done after the Cubox-I image release date.