Volumio 2 and brutefir

I didn’t install anything else, I only put the two wav filters I generated. I managed to reconnect through ssh (the web interface does not work). I ave the command, it seems it’s looping.

May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: system , getConfigParam
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: info: no delay needed
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: |||||||||||||||||||||||| WARNING: FATAL ERROR |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: { Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat ‘/data/INTERNAL/Dsp/filtersMay1filterleft44pcm44k.wav’
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: at Object.fs.statSync (fs.js:948:11)
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: at Object.wfi.infoByFilename (/data/plugins/audio_interface/brutefir/node_modules/wav-file-info/wav-file-info.js:6:18)
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: at ControllerBrutefir.dfiltertype (/data/plugins/audio_interface/brutefir/index.js:1191:17)
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: at /data/plugins/audio_interface/brutefir/index.js:1315:26
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: at /data/plugins/audio_interface/brutefir/node_modules/graceful-fs/graceful-fs.js:78:16
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (fs.js:511:3)
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: errno: -2,
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: code: ‘ENOENT’,
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: syscall: ‘stat’,
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: path: ‘/data/INTERNAL/Dsp/filtersMay1filterleft44pcm44k.wav’ }
May 10 19:33:41 volumio volumio[6011]: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
May 10 19:33:41 volumio sudo[6167]: volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl --since=2020-05-10 19:32
May 10 19:33:41 volumio sudo[6167]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
May 10 19:33:42 volumio sudo[6167]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
May 10 19:33:42 volumio volumio-remote-updater[612]: [2020-05-10 19:33:42] [error] handle_read_frame error: websocketpp.transport:7 (End of File)
May 10 19:33:42 volumio volumio-remote-updater[612]: [2020-05-10 19:33:42] [disconnect] Disconnect close local:[1006,End of File] remote:[1006]
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: volumio.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Unit volumio.service entered failed state.
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Starting dynamicswap service…
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Started dynamicswap service.
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: volumio.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Starting dynamicswap service…
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Started dynamicswap service.
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Stopping Volumio Backend Module…
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Starting Volumio Backend Module…
May 10 19:33:42 volumio systemd[1]: Started Volumio Backend Module.
May 10 19:33:43 volumio volumio[6188]: info: -------------------------------------------
May 10 19:33:43 volumio volumio[6188]: info: ----- Volumio2 ----
May 10 19:33:43 volumio volumio[6188]: info: -------------------------------------------
May 10 19:33:43 volumio volumio[6188]: info: ----- System startup ----

I just deleted the two files I added. But the web interface does not reappear.

Hi see the problem. What is the version of the plugin you use?

I don’t remember but it’s the one of two days ago, just downloaded from your github

You can do a sudo RM -Rf /data/plugins/audio_interface/brutefir
This a interesting issue… :mrgreen: I have consider this case…
Sorry for that…
But I think it should not happen with last version…

Yes that worked! Thanks!

I can’t reproduce the error. Can you give me more details?
Even removing the file or the folder cause no problem…

Yes, not sure I have more information that what I already described above. I installed brutefir, enabled it w/o filters -> no sound. disabled it -> sound ok. Enabled it again -> no sound. Went to settings and I enabled filters for left and right channels generated with REW, that I copied in the brutefir proper directory. After that…machine crashed, no web interface, but I could ssh and see the log that I sent you, in which there was some error related to the two filters. I removed the files but still the web interface was not reachable. I deleted brutefir as suggested by you and now it works again.

Hi Balbuze,
I am very happy with the plugin as I easily imported the filters I created with REW+rephase. I did long ago the filters using sweep methodology and a timing reference.

I am trying to do filters using RTA measurements (or MMM) just for fun. However, I could not export the IR in a wav format into the DRC plugin. The option “export IR wav” under the top right “wheel” in REW is not effective. I suspect that it is because there is no timing reference in the IR generated by RTA.
Did I miss something?

Envoyé de mon Mi MIX 3 en utilisant Tapatalk

I have a question about the BruteFIR plugin and I2S. I understand that BruteFIR creates a virtual sound device to feed the DAC (or in my case, an AlloDigiOne which in turn feeds the DAC). Any previous use of I2S in the playback menu is switched off when brutefir plugin is enabled.

My question is, does switching BruteFIR plugin on disable ALL I2S within the RPi / Volumio? I am trying to get the Allo Relay Attenuator to work, I have installed the necessary plugin, and I can switch the plugin on OK.

However I do not get a hardware volume control in the mixer and volume adjustment is greyed out in the GUI. The ARA needs I2S to send / receive volume signals from the RPi.

This may not be my problem, but it is something I need to confirm.

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Balbuze! Recently getting into the DSP game and getting no output. Wanted to see if my hardware situation is not supported?

1. RPI4
  2. Volumio v2.773 (latest stable)
  3. Brutefir latest build from Github as of May 22nd
  4. DAC - Musical Fidelity V-Link 192khz, using USB2.0, out to Coax, and into a Schiit Bifrost DAC
  5. I have input sudo usermod -a -G systemd-journal volumio command using SSH.

ISSUE:
[]Running DSP plugin with NO filters.
[
]I have tried every single OUTPUT FORMAT option.
[]Volumio shows “attempting to start BRUTEFIR” and no error.
[
]When I play any track of any bitdepth, I get no sound. The track doesn’t proceed either (time doesn’t update).

Wondering if I missed a step or configuration or whether my USB breakout box (Musical Fidelity V-LINK) is just not supported for this plugin.
In the PLAYBACK settings I do indeed see dsp>Musical Fidelity… so Volumio is recognizing the DSP plugin being installed and sound going through it.

What did I miss?

THank you!

@xombul
The only thing you can test is to do several sweep measurements and the in Rew go to all SPL. On to right click time align and the vector average. Hide all but average. Export as wav. But I am not sure what vector average does…

@paulE54
Yes the plugin creates a virtual device and redirect the output. In fact it doesn’t disable i2s. It is just a “display” bug… But don’t try to change it.

@chris8519
As written in the readme, the plugin requires a version of Volumio >=2.776.
I never tested with your Dac.

Thanks for the quick response Balbuze. I’ll investigate further…

Paul

“Vector average” averages phase response and is not suitable for frequency response correction.

You didn’t - there is no timing information in MMM RTA. However, frequency response with MMM is much more acurate than with sweep as it is a spatial average of many samples. You can EQ it with REW and export filter in wav format or import it in rePhase and generate EQ filters mannualy in wav of txt format.

Be sure to use pink noise file with MMM RTA.

Hi Krunok,

Thank U so much for the clarification.

Actually I had more or less the same results using sweep or RTA/mmm methodology but mmm is way simplier. You don’t need 20 points or so to get the result.
I also believe that the filters generator in the plugin could be improved if we could import * wav IR with a timing reference (using sweep methodology) or * txt IR (using mmm methodology)

Envoyé de mon Mi MIX 3 en utilisant Tapatalk

I recommend taking MMM RTA with at least 50 samples. Video how to do it properly can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RiuwqzjqlQ.

OpenDRC filter generator accepts only IR in wav format. I strongy suggest setting IR delay of measured IR to 0 using “Estimate IR delay” function in REW before importing it to the generator so that it can correct phase more easilly.

Filter based on MMM RTA can be automatically generated with REW (also in WAV format) and imported into the plugin.

Hi Balbuze!
Updated to the recent master release of 2.777. Reinstalled the plugin and gave it a go. Hardware detection ran, but threw an error (connect your device when ready… something like that, but my device was indeed connected). When I change output settings and run the clipping protection, I do indeed hear white noise. So something is getting through. But when playing music, neither the progress bar updates nor does sound play. When I update the volume setting I do see the progress bar jump to where the song should be, as if it was playing. Switching sample rate in the plugin also updates my DAC and shows the correct rate I selected.

Wondering if USB breakout boxes like my Musical Fidelity just aren’t supported.

The box works fine to breakout data from USB to optical without the plugin. Why would an internal loopback make a difference to how it outputs?

It looks like the volume mixer is not correct when the plugin is enabled… Because the clipping detection is supposed to be done in silence by muting the sound…
So, try the following : disabled the plugin, and set your Dac and mixer. Reboot and test. Enable the plugin. Wait about 15sec before testing. Do not change mixer settings once the plugin is enabled! Let me know.

Hi Balbuze. Well now I have a different problem. DSP was working - but for some reason it now is not. I haven’t changed anything other than upgrading to latest volumio 2.779, but I had the same problem on 2.777 so it is not that. Symptoms -

I am at Volumio 2.779 and DSP for Volumio 1.8.0.

Volumio plays using I2S Dac switched to “on” and with “output device” and “Dac model” both set to “Allo Digi One” and with DSP for Volumio 1.8.0 installed but switched off.

When I switch DSP for Volumio “on”, it says “attempt to start BruteFIR” the I2S Dac switch on playback menu is switched off, the DAC model disappears, and the output device is set to “audio jack”. I have to reset this to “snd_allo_digione” press “save” and it says “configuration update – player successfully restarted”. If I then try to play music, I get a red error box in top RH corner with “error – failed to open ALSA device. Hw:1,0 device or resource busy”.

Tried a shutdown / restart, and makes no difference – get same error.

Turn DSP for Volumio off, put playback settings back, after restarting system plays music fine but with no DSP (obviously).

It used to work, I don’t know why it has stopped. Any advice gratefully received!

Ok I have now discovered a fix. For some reason I need to set the output device to “loopback”. When I do this I get sound out which is DSP processed. Result. Posted in case it helps anyone else.

Paul