Using external WiFi Dongle with Volumio on RPi 3b

Hello!
I have poor WiFi reception. I am currently using Volumio with Raspi 3B. I would like to use an external adapter with an antenna for the improved WiFi connection.
Is that possible with Volumio?

Simply plugging it in doesn’t work for me.
The adapter is TP Link TL-WN822N

Best regards
Otto

Hi.

The best way is use something like TP-Link TL-WA855RE. It can work like WiFi extender but with LAN RJ socket and you have wire connection.

Or you can use WiFi router in Access Point mode and connect with Pi via LAN.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I interpret the information as follows: Volumio lacks support for USB WiFi adapters.

I find it bad for my case. A LAN connection is not possible. That’s why I asked the question about the use of WiFi USB adapters.

Out of pure interest: For what technical reason has support for USB WiFi adapters been removed in Volumio?

Many thanks for the information!
Otto

Hey, USB WiFi has not been removed. It‘s only that the newest kernel doesn’t support some chipsets any longer.

Somewhere in the forum this is discussed. Do a Google search.

Best Regards
Josef

Here

You can use it like I said. You schould use WiFi AP it will connect with your WiFi Network and AP connect with Pi via LAN cable.

You will use your WiFi but Pi will see wire LAN connection.

I have connected my Volumio on Dell Optiplex in this way. I have problem with WiFi antenne and don’t have LAN socket near Volumio device.

Thank you for your answers. The number of supported WiFi USB adapters has become extremely short.
Volumio uses Raspbian OS as its base - so I have understood the reason for the lack of support for USB WiFi dongles.

Cause of problem understood. I have to look for the solution outside the Volumio universe.

Thanks for the support!
Otto

I gave you solution!

Hello eMCZe!

Your proposed solution is technically feasible. Even with other repeaters.
I prefer to be able to use the existing USB WiFi adapter.
To be able to use the TP Link TL-WN822N under Raspbian OS, I will have to invest time. Success is possible, but not guaranteed.

Thank you for your suggestion!
Otto

I suggested AP because it is more universal and can connect many devices.

I wish you luck !

this is not true, some WiFi USB adapters work out-of-the-box, some others don’t work at all

It is a bit more complicated than that as Volumio for PI supports at least all usb wifi dongles Raspbian OS does.
The Raspberry community has been supported by an older guy nicknamed “MrEngman” for a good number of years.
He added a number of wifi drivers and maintained them between Rasbian OS versions, which the offcial linux kernel did not.
Regrettably, about a year and a half ago, his support stopped for whatever reason.
Since then, these drivers are missing from the Raspberry OS linux kernel and, as Volumio uses the PI kernel, from the Volumio Pi images as well.

Hearing little snippets of information like this makes you realise the number of people there are behind the scenes keeping things going that we all owe our thanks too!

3 Likes

WiFi USB dongle does work but is extremely slow using Volumio. That should be fixed, I suppose.

if it slow, it depends on the dongle itself.

Using an Asus USB AC51. Would be fast enough.

Instead of usb wifi, you could always use a wifi external receiver with lan output, then simple connect the raspberry pi using the rj45 port. I do that to configure my raspberry pi without wifi when first installing the OS.

Try something like AC1200 WiFi Range Extender (EX6120) from Netgear, it has one LAN port.

Hi I had the same issue so battled with a Realtek 5GHz dongle (88x2bu chipset based) to work really well. It took some getting going but has now been reliable with constant use over the christmas period even streaming HD Audio (352Khz @24 bit) from my NAS without issue. Testing my setup I get about 80Mbits peak which is not bad.

If you are interested, I wrote detailed instructions (raspberry pi 4b) here:

1 Like

Wow, see what you mean by battle! Good looking project.

Thanks!! Looks better now with a power button.

I’m also looking to add a subtle led that will indicate the bit depth and sample rate of now playing. I just need to learn how to code a plugin to connect to I2C