Use the remaining space on SD card for music library?

I have volumio running on a 8gb SD card.
Can I use the rest of the free space on the card to store a few albums? Is there a command I can run to use up the rest of the space.

Is there a specific location I would need to store it in order for MPD to pick it up?

What hardware do you use for Volumio? On Raspberry Pi you may try this via SSH:

sudo raspi-config

Thanks Jim,

Yes I’m on a Pi. I tried that and selected Expand Filesystem
but got this message.
Your partition layout is not currently supported by this │
│ tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your │
│ root filesystem is already expanded anyway.

But the biggest partition is 1.5gb, which is 82% full with Volumio.
Other partitions are no more than 100mb so there’s still a few GB unaccounted for.

I was able to do this by adapting this guide:

davidnelson.me/?p=218

The device in question for Volumio is still /dev/mmcblk0 however, the partition to modify in the fdisk tool is partition 3. The filesystem to resize with resize2fs is hence /dev/mmcblk0p3

It boils down to:

$ fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
  1. destroy and recreate partiion 3 as to consume the rest of the space

2. reboot

$ resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p3 

Afterwards, 28G of my 32G SD card is free on the root filesystem.

pi@volumio:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           30G  673M   28G   3% /
/dev/root        30G  673M   28G   3% /
devtmpfs        235M     0  235M   0% /dev
tmpfs            49M  500K   49M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           256M     0  256M   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1   75M   19M   56M  25% /boot
Ramdisk         256M     0  256M   0% /run/shm
pi@volumio:~$ 

From another linux PC, I copied music into a directory on the SD card filesystem at /var/lib/mpd/music/SDCard/

Booting into Volumio, I updated the MPD database from the web UI. Then, I was able to see the SDCard/ directory and play music from it.

1 Like

Frankly, I think this should be on of the basic setup options for Volumio!

Using remaining space on SD card is not the best idea in the world… But I’ll work to get this supported!

Not the best idea? Why not? If someone has a large SD card, I think it’s brilliant! Being able to pull music from an attached drive or the network is essential, but pulling it off the SD frees you from that requirement. And it becomes easily portable. Awesome.

I’ve got a big SD just waiting for Volumio and a LOT of music. Hope this gets supported. Thanks.

I second the above opinion! It would be excellent for me if this could be set up, seems a waste of 32GB of SD card otherwise :slight_smile:

hey,

i tryed the manual to use the ramaining space on the sd for music. but after the final reboot, my raspberry always shut down. does anybody know, how i can solve the problem?

i have a raspberry pi model b with a hifi berry upgrade. i was in holidays, so i also will try it with the new volumio update.

thanks forward

— update 14.08.2014 ----

it worked :smiley:
the raspberry doesn’t shut down, but i don’t understand how i save the music on the sd. can anybody help?

my knowledge for this isn’t big, so could the person who knows the answer, describe it in easy steps? thanks forward

I installed Volumio on a 64GB SD card, and I was hoping to use the extra space for music files.
I have successfully expanded the partition to use the full size of the SD card, then created a /home/pi/sdmusic folder to host my local music files.
But what is the best way to use this folder with Volumio?
I tried adding a link to the folder within the /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO. (I.e. /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/sdmusic)

That partially worked, I can navigate to WEBRADIO/sdmusic with the UI and play the files, but on an external PC the WEBRADIO/sdmusic folder appears to be read only, even though I opened up all of the permissions on the Raspberry Pi (or so I think).
Is there documentation somewhere about how /var/lib/mpd/music/ shares its contents on the local network?
thanks!

Hello, did anyone ever get this working?

You should check the smb share settings. I think you might have set it to read only for the group you pc is in. Or with the lack of a group the all users are on read only.

Hi all,

Many thanks for your tips to enlarge partition to fill enitrely the sd card.
Unfortunately I have created following directory, but I am unable to see it in the web interface even if I refresh library.

root@volumio:/var/lib/mpd/music# ls NAS RAMPLAY SDCARD UPNP USB WEBRADIO

Do you have an idea?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Vincent

I think you will have to put your music under one of the existing directories.

Here is the way I did it.

First I created a separate partition for the music “/music” - not sure its good practice to put user data in your volumio partition.

Then switched the symbolic link for USB to point to this new directory.

pi@volumio:/var/lib/mpd/music$ ls -l
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul 13 2013 NAS -> /mnt/NAS/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Apr 8 2014 RAMPLAY -> /run/shm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 22 2014 UPNP -> /mnt/UPNP
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 6 Sep 25 14:07 USB -> /music
drwxrwxrwx 2 pi pi 4096 Sep 25 21:58 WEBRADIO

and finally added back the symbolic link to the USB mount in the /music directory

pi@volumio:/var/lib/mpd/music$ ls -l /music
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 11 root root 4096 Sep 25 14:31 Demo
drwxr-xr-x 82 root root 4096 Sep 29 08:50 Library
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep 25 14:14 USB -> /mnt/USB

You will then see subdirectories for both your SD card music and your USB music under USB in the web interface.

Hi,
Many thanks for your answer. I will put my sdcard directory under usb one.

Thnak you.

I did the following:

mkdir /music chmod 777 /music ln -s /music /var/lib/mpd/music/USB

You can also add the music folder to the available network folders:

nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

add:

[code][SD Card]
comment = Folder on SD card
path = /music
read only = no
public = yes
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

[Playlists]
comment = Playlist folder
path = /var/lib/mpd/playlists
read only = no
public = yes
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes[/code]

restart samba:

/etc/init.d/samba restart

Hello guys,

i got the same problem with my SD-Card. I was able to expand the Volume to 30G but i was not able to create a symbolic link to my created folder (trying fpr several hours now):

First i created a ne folder “SD” in /var/lib/mpd/music:

pi@HiFiBerry:/var/lib/mpd/music$ sudo mkdir SD
pi@HiFiBerry:/var/lib/mpd/music$ sudo chmod 777 SD
pi@HiFiBerry:/var/lib/mpd/music$ ls -l
total 8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Jul 13  2013 NAS -> /mnt/NAS/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    8 Apr  8  2014 RAMPLAY -> /run/shm
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Mar  4 17:43 SD
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Apr 22  2014 UPNP -> /mnt/UPNP
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi   pi      8 Jul 30  2013 USB -> /mnt/USB
drwxrwxrwx 2 pi   pi   4096 Sep  7  2013 WEBRADIO
pi@HiFiBerry:/var/lib/mpd/music$

Then i tried to create the symbolic link, but when i got it and tryed to upload to my folder SD throught FileZilla i always ended up in the /mnt/USB folder after clicking my SD-folder (/var/lib/mpd/music/SD).

pi@HiFiBerry:/var/lib/mpd/music$ sudo ln -s /mnt/USB /var/lib/mpd/music/SD pi@HiFiBerry:/var/lib/mpd/music$ ls -l total 4 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul 13 2013 NAS -> /mnt/NAS/ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Apr 8 2014 RAMPLAY -> /run/shm lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 4 16:53 SD -> /mnt/USB lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 22 2014 UPNP -> /mnt/UPNP lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 8 Jul 30 2013 USB -> /mnt/USB drwxrwxrwx 2 pi pi 4096 Sep 7 2013 WEBRADIO

Its quiet clear, because i liked both folders but through this i´m unable to upload files to this folder.

SO can anyone tell me a simple way to fix my problem or another way to upload my music to the internel micro-sd. I want to be able to play theses files over the WebUI afterwards.

Yes but when you install Volumio on PC it would be nice to have possibility to manage files on disk, especially if you have large HDD.