USB storages not recognized by Volumio

But both Volumio & Moode index the files with mpd (as far as I am aware). I suspect that this is something simple, but it is difficult diagnosing problems remotely. Sorry, not to be of more help.

Hi Guys… I have a RBpi 4 with a DigiOne Signature and Volumio 2.909. I have the same problem with a 1 TB Passport Ultra. I’ve been searching for simple solutions because I’m entirely new to the Pi world and have no idea how to tinker Volumio with commands. After seeing several posts on this issue, I have found that no solution has been provided and that it certainly appears to be a problem with Volumio not being able to handle external HDD. Nevertheless, I’m curious to see if anyone has found a way to solve this problem.

Hi all, not sure if this is helpful. I was struggling for weeks trying to get Volumio (Raspi) to recognize my music collection on an external USB harddrive. The harddrive was connected and mounted properly to the Raspi system - I could always access the folders via SSH. Nevertheless, the tracks would not appear in Volumio.

Last week I found a very simple solution: I copied my collection to a Fat32 formatted disk, and all of a sudden it’s working like a charm. I even tried 2 different Fat32 harddrives and it worked with both. I didn’t work previously with different ext4-formatted harddrives.

From this experience it seems that Volumio can’t handle ext4-formatted harddrives. Strange though that this is not mentioned in the documentation.

maybe the disk was not recognized properly by Volumio because it was lacking a partition table

if the partition table is in place, ext4 will work