USB or AES connection and DSD?

Hi there,

I am using the Rivo to send digital audio to my Audio Analogue DAC via USB.
As the Primo 1 I had before could not send native DSD to the AA DAC I am happy now that the Rivo managed to send DSD 64 and 128 in a way my AA DAC understands it as native DSD too.
DSD 256 or 512 is recognized by the AA DAC as PCM data, though it would be able to handle those native.
Does anyone tried to use AES XLR over USB on the Rivo?
Will this stop the native DSD data flow between Rivo and DAC?
My vast majority of files is FLAC in CD resolution with some 96/192kHz high res.
Any comments on the difference in audible quality between USB and AES besides a possible DSD fail?

Thanks for any input!
In general I love the Rivo big time. It is a huge improvement over the Primo 1 in my setup.

Regards to all of you
Rolf

Please submit a log, so we can see the usb vendor:pid identification.

(I know, you are not reporting a bug, but the info it brings is important nevertheless.

Is this ok:

http://logs.volumio.org/rivo/8iLyyzD.html

Thanks for dealing with the issue!

kr
Rolf

The vendor:product ID 16d0:071a is not registered in the quirks list of the USB Audio driver, currently.
In case you are sure, that your DAC is DSD capable, then perhaps @darmur can help for a next release, as Volumio tries to support as many DSD devices as possible on their own products.
Meanwhile you cannot use DSD “direct”, but you could change the settings to DoP.
You will still play DSD, but as a PCM stream (DSD over PCM).
Same quality, but using a much bigger USB bandwidth.
I don’t use AES, so I don’t know wether differences are audible, but @darmur may know.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!