USB Drive as music library

Hello.
I have a little problem.
When i connect usb drive to rpi3b+ with volumio i see it in Browse/Music Library/USB

I see it also on Samba share.
But here is problem.
When i try upload file on that share i have a error “Not Enough Space”
Strange because it is a 1,5TB drive, when i connect it to PC/Mac i can normally write on it.
It same if i use NTFS/Ext3/Ext4 or Fat32.

So what now?

Possibly your USB drive is bad/corrupted?? Do you have another to try?

On other disk is the same issue.

So first i change smb.conf and now i can upload music but not 10 folders at once. I can upload 1-2 at once otherwise i have “Not Enough Space” error.

The problem lies in browsing via the root of the default SMB share. This will only show you free space for the boot drive and hence won’t allow you to upload more than the free space on your boot drive.

To circumvent this you need to create a separate share in smb.config that maps to the root of the USB device you want to share directly. This will show correct free space for the disk and will allow you to upload more files at once.

Ok.
When i add smb share directly to my usb disk everything works great.
Thx for help

Interesting, can you explain in more detail? I am looking forward to solve this issue

As far as I understand it, it seems to be either a sort of weakness of the protocol or part of it’s security.

However, SMB will only show the free space of the disk to where the share is mapped to. Because the USB share is mapped to /mnt/USB which is a symlink to /media on the root file system smb will report the free space of the root file system. In the case of volumio the overlay file system which corresponds to the root exists on device mmcblk0p3.

In order to have smb send the correct free space for an external disk the share needs to be mapped directly to the root of the disk itself. For example if we have two disk “Music” and “Misc” we would need a share for each of these, mapped directly to /media/Music and /media/Misc, to be able to see the total free space available on each of the disks and be able to transfer a corresponding amount of data.

I hope that my explanation is clear and comprehensive :wink:

Let me know if you need more details.

Hello
I have the same problem, i.e. in Windows 10 in file explorer I enter \volumio in the ‘address’(?) bar and it shows ‘Internal storage’, ‘NAS’ and ‘USB’ in the right hand pane. I double click on USB and it shows the contents but I cannot copy from my PC as I get the error as in this post.
How do I “…create a separate share in smb.config that maps to the root of the USB device you want to share directly.”
Where is ‘smb.config’ and how do I edit it, what do I enter?
Cheers.