Upgraded to latest version and lost connectivity to the RPI

I just updated my RPI to the latest Volumio and I seem to be unable to connect to it anymore. On prior updating procedures, it’d restart with the new version and be available at volumio.local. Not this time.

Any suggestions?

Did you do an

apt update && apt dist-upgrade

before updating Volumio via its GUI?

I used the Volumio GUI as I’ve always done before.

Assuming that was not optimal, how can I recover access to the RPI/Volumio?

I do not exactly recall the previous Volumio version on the RPI, but I think it was 3.5 or so? I upgraded last relatively recently. I also seem to recall this last update was 3.6 something something. It sounds like a minor update.

Was there a major rehaul between the two?

Volumio always seems to be full of surprises when upgrading or really anything else. I’d like to say I appreciate it more than I do, but no.

@Phil: you had an obviously very targeted point, though I’m not sure what you meant with it. There’s obviously more to this than I was aware of. Would you care to elaborate?

Thank you much in advance.

Never do apt dist-upgrade or apt upgrade. This will break Volumio!!!

OK, I honestly don’t understand any of the input this far. How am I supposed to upgrade Volumio? Through its internal means (GUI or whatever), or some other way?

As of right now, my Volumio is broken on the device I’m using it on (RPI).

Quickest way is to re-flash the SD card with Volumio-3.601-2024-01-19-pi

I retrieved, like you, the Volumio image on SD via the RPi foundation’s “Imager” software. Unfortunately it was in an old, non-updated version of Volumio. I had to do an “apt-update && apt dist-upgrade” to update the system and then be able to upgrade to version 3.6 via the Volumio graphics console.

The “apt-update && apt dist-upgrade” commands do not break the system, quite the contrary. They are essential for the security of OS’s based on Debian. Your computers must benefit from these security updates… otherwise your OS will not benefit from functional and security patches which can make your private networks vulnerable to potential hacker attacks !!

Another important thing to do is to change the passwords of volumio and root users with the commands

passwd volumio

password root

Debian is extremely stable it’s not Arch Linux!!! There is no danger to update it OS !!!

With Debian, when a developer updates a program and it is released as a stable version, it is then integrated into Debian Experimental. After being tested for several weeks and validated as functional, it will be transferred to Debian Unstable. Then, after being retested, it will end up in Debian Testing, then it will be retested again before being released in Debian Proposed Update and finally delivered in Debian Stable that you are using…

Debian is really secure if you apply the patches and extremely stable !!!

In almost 20 years of daily use of Debian systems, I have never had problems as described by our friend “Wheaten” after updating my system using the Debian stable directory !!!

In comparison under Arch when a software is validated as being stable it is immediately integrated into the final version of Arch, without the slightest test… Under Arch you are a beta tester, not under Debian !!!

In your case, having updated the Volumio graphical interface, without first updating the OS, broke the system…

if you do this, your system will have problems with OTA updates. Please do not suggest this to other users, you’re free to do in your own system of course.

it is not required, because every new image is delivered with up-to-date packages

Do as you want, but there are very strict security and update rules to follow when using an OS… As a system engineer, I can only advise you to apply them !!!

Afterwards, everyone is free to tinker with their machine as they wish, but you should not come and cry afterwards in the event of a breakage…

again the packages will be updated to the most recent version with every OTA update

if you update the packages manually, there is a risk of breaking the system, after performing a OTA update.

here the details on the Volumio file-system architecture, that explain why thou should not do apt dist-upgrade or apt upgrade

Darmur
15 min
again the packages will be updated to the most recent version with every OTA update
if you update the packages manually, there is a risk of breaking the system, after performing a OTA update.
here the details on the Volumio file-system architecture, that explain why thou should not do apt dist-upgrade or apt upgrade

I don’t modify the configuration files, so there should be no problems…

As with my other Debian systems, I apply an automatic Volumio update strategy via Cron. I’ll get back to you if I ever have any problems, but I bet I won’t :slight_smile:

Anyway thank you very much for your good advice as well as the source of the information provided !!!

“In your case, having updated the Volumio graphical interface, without first updating the OS, broke the system…”

If this was addressed to me - I’m not sure what it means. I thought Volumio is the OS w/ a wrapper (the GUI), and so always updating it would involve OS updating.

But I have never done updates other than by using the interface, and they’ve always worked (I had this running daily for maybe 4-5 years now?..).

Given that I lost connectivity to the RPI, I assume it may have - best case scenario - reset itself to “out of the box” and is not on an IP that’s outside of my set. Or, maybe, its wifi is just off (I seem to recall it’s default “off”).

Unless I manage to connect to it, I may have to reflash it, which is a big pain.

As Wheaten said, the image provided by the RPi foundation and its Imager software poses a problem.

If you can’t recover via ssh you are good for a reinstallation with the official image of Volumio… Good luck.

Wheaten said this: " Never do apt dist-upgrade or apt upgrade . This will break Volumio!!!" - unless he said something somewhere else - it has nothing to do with anything I’ve done here. I actually thought he’s advising against what you suggested, Phil. But maybe I’m not following all points very well.

I had to reimage a microsd card with the latest version and essentially rebuild the RPI. Luckily it recalled most settings and was pretty quick vs. how it went the first time around years ago, as I did recall the major steps.