Trying to add an NFC Plugin and I keep getting an error when trying to enable the plugin

I keep trying to install the plugin here: volumio-plugins/plugins/user_interface/raspi_nfc_spi at master · mrsimpson/volumio-plugins · GitHub
The following image is the output of the guide (GitHub - mrsimpson/jukepi: Scripts for a Pi-Based jukebox) right up to the second to last command under the “NFC reader integration” part of the guide.

When attempting to enable the plugin in volumio, I get “This plugin is failing to start. Please install updated version, or contact plugin developer.”
and another error when trying to uninstall. I can’t remember it exactly right now but it said something something null something. I’m sorry I can’t be more descriptive, the circumstances around this project are meh at the moment and I’m at my wit’s end.
I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3B+, with Volumio version 2.917. I know I’m risking security and that I’m open to basically any and all issues that come with using an older version but until an alternative RFID control solution comes about for a newer version, I’m sticking with an older version and trying to make it work. All it needs to have is the ability to play a playlist (or single song even) from tapping and holding an RFID card in place, and stopping the playback once removed.
I would appreciate any help that can be provided.