Transparent & Objective: My Volumio build

I want to say thank you for the effort you put into the Volumio distribution!

I built a Volumio player using a RPi, a SABRE 9023 I2S DAC and an Objective 2 headphone amp.
I managed to put all these components into an acrylic case (Nespresso Cube capsule dispenser).

As you can see in the pictures, I moved the volume knob of the O2 to the center of the acrylic case. Looks quite nice, i think.

I’m mostly listening to FLACs stored on a Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB-Stick. I added a TP-LINK TL-WN725N WLAN Nano USB-Adapter for streaming and access to NAS shares.

I configured an alternative ALSA output using the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural crossfeed plugin (via bs2b LADSPA). I can switch on and off the crossfeed output via an alternative WebGUI (e.g. RompR).
I’d much prefer the ability to switch ALSA outputs via the Volumio settings page, though. Maybe this will can added in a future release?

The SABRE 9023 turned out to provide too little umph for my AKG 702 cans, hence the Objective2, which can be switched off and bypassed (ideal for less power hungry headphones or audio out to an amp).

The display is a 16x2 OLED controlled via LCDproc and mpdlcd.
Currently, there are no physical play/pause buttons, but i managed to get my favourite remote (silver aluminum Apple Remote MC377LL/A)), which uses the NEC IR protocol, to work for Play/Pause and Prev/Next :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: .
The Remote fits nicely inside the acrylic box for transport.

I’m very happy with my build. Maybe i’ll add a power bank for mobile use. Or some WS2811 LED strips für illumination and/or spectrum visualization.

Thanks again for this great piece of software!
P1070559.JPG
P1070540.JPG
P1070544.JPG

Well done. Very nice.

Would you consider posting a guide to your implementation so others can dip their toes into the screen side of things?

Elsewhere on this site is a post with a guide to a remote control implementation using LIRC which allows you to map the buttons on the remote to any function you like. I too like that elegant Apple remote and used it as my remote.

Nice One,

Particularly like the Display and the volume button idea. :smiley:

Thanks for your feedback.

I’ll post a more detailed description, including the OLED implementation, in the DIY section of the forum soon.

I already use lirc with the following mapping in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf, which works fine:

[code]begin remote

name /root/lircd.apple_remote_silver.conf
bits 8
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100

header 9054 4421
one 602 1616
zero 602 518
ptrail 606
repeat 9061 2187
pre_data_bits 16
pre_data 0x77E1
post_data_bits 8
post_data 0xA4
gap 107788
toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
      menu                     0xC0
      playpause                0xFA 0xA0
      OK                       0x3A 0xA0
      up                       0x50
      down                     0x30
      left                     0x90
      right                    0x60
  end codes

end remote
[/code]

awesome, beautiful :mrgreen:

It looks great, well done!
:smiley: :smiley:

Endorphi,

I was inspired by your box so i built my own “Nespresso Cube-player” :smiley:
Nespresso.jpg

I m curious about you code, because my script needs some optimalisation!

Endorphi wrote: "I’ll post a more detailed description, including the OLED implementation, in the DIY section of the forum soon."

So please post your guide!

THX

Harry