Tidal Hi-Res FLAC - Available (?) Now

I sincerely hope that the update integrating the MAX system will allow us to choose between MQA and Hi-Res FLAC versions of the albums (If Tidal allows it - I have not been able to get a clear answer regarding this from them).
This way MQA lovers and haters can get what both part wants:-)
(as a note: in the Tidal app, even if music is there as a higher resolution MQA than Hi-Res, the Hi-res will prevail!).
I suppose the part of getting MAX working for Tidal Connect is a Tidal matter, not Volumio?
A bit off-topic (but I assume there may be other users of Pro-Ject streamers here, as they run a slightly customised (but rather out-dated) version of Volumio): I have trying to get an answer from Pro-Ject regarding plans to make an update (supporting Tidal Connect and MAX). I received a total non-answer.
I urge other Pro-Ject users to contact them about this as well - numbers may make a difference!
@volumio

On a personal note, not Volumio’s!!!

For Support abandon Pro-ject, they are not familiar with that word. (guess there is no Austrian translation for that word)
They simply don’t respond, not even to their own distributors.

At least it shows which format is playing now, pretty happy about that and have confirmed 96 kHz and 192 kHz FLAC playback using the Tidal App. MQA shows up as 88.2 kHz (and a purple light on my iFi Zen). Not exactly releavant to volumio but like this improvement.

If you search for an album there are usually a few copies of it (various formats, delux etc). Not that easy to know until you play them but could add to your Albums whichever is your preference. There’s also an interesting github project that says if it’s lossless or not in the interface.

1 Like

Agreed! Finally being able to see what format is available (and playing) on each album, aside from an external DAC’s display, is great. And the fact that they’ve been improving on these things so quickly after initial rollout is also a good indicator of dedication to the product.

There is a (slightly complicated) way to get the Tidal web player to show if an album is available in MQA and/or Hi-Res: GitHub - Inrixia/TidalTags
You need to set it up for each session, though…
Unfortunately, this does NOT allow you to choose which format to play.
For now (at least), in Tidal apps and web player, if a Hi-Res version is present, it will be chosen automatically.

Just to get the hole picture here
As i use volumio primo hifi edition isnt Tidal high(hifi) only 44.1 cd quality and max (mqa) ?
I use Tidal app via Android mobile to volumio and only get 44.1 as i only have there hifi sign in.

But will or is Tidal hifi now 192k after latest update on the hifi and max setup?

And will the Tidal option in volumio app give hi-res 192 with Tidal hifi account?

Cheers

1 Like

Hi,

TL;DR: What Volumio sees and plays back depends only on your Tidal service, and not Volumio.

Tidal HiFi and HiFi Plus are two different service tiers or subscription plans from Tidal. HiFi offers music files at a maximum resolution of 16bit, 44.1kHz, while HiFi Plus offers their new “Max” quality which for stereo goes up to 24bit 192kHz resolution FLAC files + their previous MQA catalogue.

Volumio will only be able to access what Tidal and your Tidal subscription level allows.

This means that if you have a HiFi subscription you will be limited to 16/44.1, and if you have a HiFi Plus plan you will eventually be able to access up to 24/192 FLAC files in addition to the currently accessible MQA catalogue; once this is implemented for both Tidal Connect and 3rd party software.

In my opinion users should have the choice between FLAC and MQA formats, given the streaming service they use and their hardware supports it.

I was never a fan of the fact that MQA generated lots of user confusion (very hard to understand if a service or device supports it, and what you get at the output) but if some people find value in it, then they should have the choice of using it. Same goes for who does not.

Agreed: users should be able to choose what format they want to stream according to prefference, hardware, and catalogue availability. But maybe it’s a matter of time on their end?

In any case, this already happens when there are Atmos/multichannel versions of an album, for example.

And through software and OS’s like Volumio, on which we currently see albums with an (M) label for MQA and none for CD quality FLAC; maybe we’ll see a new HiRes (Hi) or similar label for files up to 24/192 soon?

1 Like

since 2 days Rivo doesn’t send MQA to my dac. What’s the problem? I tried everything… From my laptop no problems my dac shows Mqa but with Rivo it can’t anymore…

Hi,

Have you checked the MQA setting in the Sources > Tidal > Sound Quality, Number of Search Results, and MQA options? Have you tried toggling it on/off and saving changes?

Did you install any plugins, like FusionDSP?

To have MQA working, you need:

• Volume if set to HW to 100
  • No softvolume enabled
  • No DSP or anything else in the output path

Please let us know

I haven’t changed any options… Everything was normal until a few days ago. If I use the laptop, my DAC shows MQA, but with RIVO it doesn’t anymore

removed the Fusion DSP and all was well…
I guess he missed something.
thanks

No @balbuze didn’t miss a thing.
See the reply from @Volumio.

MQA can only be passed thru to your DAC, if the audio is not altered.

UPDATE

I’m listening on TIDAL Hi-Res FLAC as of now (Thom Yorke - Black Swan).

… on our last prototype of a new product we’ll launch soon.

That’s cutting edge, I guess :wink:

(show-off mode disabled)

6 Likes

That’s great! Then this means we’ll soon be able to do this on Volumio builds as well?

Yes, but that depends also when TIDAL gives us green light

5 Likes

A couple of updates:

• Hi-res FLAC is now availavle in Chromecast devices.
  • Tidal apps now show bitrate / resolution if Max quality = FLAC

So, coupled with @volumio 's Black Swan teaser… it “feels” we’re getting closer.

1 Like

Looking forward to taking advantage of all that Tidal has to offer in High Resolution FLAC offerings. Please let us know when the update will be released. Thanks

3 Likes